Re: Micro sails

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 22, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dawesnav" <dawesnav@...> wrote:

      > Trying to balance cost
      > with
      > not really wanting to work much with lead (funny how we have
      > changed.
      > I remember chain sawing it years ago and playing with it as a kid)

      An option to avoid pouring is to have a steel pan welded up and set
      ontop of cinder blocks and melt the lead in the pan. This is
      especially effective if you have a neighbor who is a welder:-)

      > More importantly, it only came with homemade sails, not finished.

      My first inclination would be to attempt to finish the sails myself.
      You already have them and I assume they are the type called for.
      There are several low cost manuals available to assist you.

      I would also give due consideration to building the spars as shown
      in the plans and using sail track. But then my mentor and Micro
      guru, Peter Lenihan some time ago posted a lengthy rant about the
      embarrasement concerning sails lashed to the mast.

      I would also confer with my daughter if I were you;-)

      Nels