Rescue Minor

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
      Anyone reading MAIB will be aware of Bolger often making references
      to William Atkins' designs. (As recent as the his update on his
      houseboat design that he is now selling plans for once again.) The
      MAIB with Bruce Anderson on the cover:-)

      Also readers will be well aware of Robb White's articles. (I read
      them instead of taking a sedative - and don't recall ever finishing
      one;-) And often his reference to his boat "Rescue Minor".

      A recent article in WB#189 by Robb describes Rescue Minor in some
      detail and the William Atkin plans it was built from. First off,
      Robb did a fine interpretation of the plans and secondly it is
      really an interesting design.

      Apparently it has a narrow box keel forward described like "a small
      double-ended pirogue" with a larger boat build on top of it. The
      stern section of the larger hull extends aft and is tunnel-shaped.
      At rest the top half of the prop is above water, but as it moves,
      the stern wave from the pirogue section fills the tunnel and the
      prop is is fully engaged. According to Robb, he believes it is kind
      of surfing on it's own stern wave, and can run wide open in 6" of
      water.

      He strip-planked his, even though the plans are for plywood
      construction, and installed a small Kubota diesel tractor engine. It
      burns "less than 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour - top speed is 22
      knots" and you know Robb never exaggerates the truth:-)

      The first sketch here shows the prop configuration at rest. Plans
      are sold by Mr. Atkins widow from what I understand.

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html

      Probably many members are aware of this design and the Sea Bright
      tunnel design skiffs. But then for others it may be of interest.

      Nels
    • Christopher Wetherill
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
        Study plans for three similar designs appear in *Workable Plans for
        Practical Boats* : Vol 47 of Motor Boating's Ideal Series;
        CHAPMAN, CHARLES F.. Published by Motor Boating and Sailing in 1958.
        http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/XLVII.html

        Nels wrote:

        > Also readers will be well aware of Robb White's articles. (I read
        > them instead of taking a sedative - and don't recall ever finishing
        > one;-) And often his reference to his boat "Rescue Minor".
        >
        > A recent article in WB#189 by Robb describes Rescue Minor in some
        > detail and the William Atkin plans it was built from. First off,
        > Robb did a fine interpretation of the plans and secondly it is
        > really an interesting design.

        > The first sketch here shows the prop configuration at rest. Plans
        > are sold by Mr. Atkins widow from what I understand.
        >
        > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html
        >
        > Probably many members are aware of this design and the Sea Bright
        > tunnel design skiffs. But then for others it may be of interest.
        >
        > Nels

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
          Robb White built himself a good boat, but Mrs. Atkin and I wish he hadn't
          named it "Rescue Minor". Robb looked at three or more of the Atkin
          tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs and then went and built a boat of his own
          design using the Atkin plans as inspiration. He kept enough Atkin in the
          design to make the boat work good anyway. ;o) I like Robb, and I like his
          boat, but his choice of name for it has caused some confusion. Rescue
          Minor is a hard-chined, plywood, V-bottom tunnel-stern Seabright skiff, a
          type Billy Atkin invented long, long ago. Robb White's boat is a
          round-bilged tunnel-stern Seabright skiff of about the proportions of
          Rescue Minor. Billy Atkin probably wasn't the first to design a
          round-bilged tunnel-stern Seabright skiff, but he probably designed more
          of them than anyone else -- just not the one Robb built. <g>

          The "box deadwood" is what distinguishes a Seabright skiff. When the shift
          to power came along it was found that the box deadwood made installing an
          engine very easy, and that Seabright skiffs went along real nice under
          power. It isn't a box keel, the box deadwood starts somewhere abaft
          midships. It blends into the bottom forward. There are a bunch of
          Seabright skiff designs in the current Atkins catalog:

          http://www.atkinboatplans.com/

          On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 09:50:49 -0800, Nels wrote:

          > A recent article in WB#189 by Robb describes Rescue Minor in some
          > detail and the William Atkin plans it was built from. First off,
          > Robb did a fine interpretation of the plans and secondly it is
          > really an interesting design.
          >
          > Apparently it has a narrow box keel forward described like "a small
          > double-ended pirogue" with a larger boat build on top of it. The
          > stern section of the larger hull extends aft and is tunnel-shaped.
          > At rest the top half of the prop is above water, but as it moves,
          > the stern wave from the pirogue section fills the tunnel and the
          > prop is is fully engaged. According to Robb, he believes it is kind
          > of surfing on it's own stern wave, and can run wide open in 6" of
          > water.

          John <jkohnen@...>
          Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and
          discovering she looks like a haddock. <John Barrymore>
        • donschultz8275
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 30, 2006
            Gregg Carlson's Alligator liveaboard is referred to as a Biloxi
            Lugger. I'll assume that is a reference to the superstructure.

            Waterline down she appears to be a Seabright Skiff with an Atkins
            Tunnel.

            http://www.carlsondesign.com/alligator.html

            Study the perspective views apparently generated by Carlson's "Hulls"
            software and you'll see what I mean. These JPEGs along with the pics
            of SalsDad postings of his aluminum Rescue Minor helped me better
            understand the Atkins "tunnel" hull designs.

            His "Huskie" work scow and "Twinkle" are different from the Seabright
            Tunnels like "Shoals Runner" "Rescue Minor", and others.

            They are all interesting designs, but the Seabrights are, to me,
            exceptional. I don't really see them as planing hulls but they surely
            aren't limited to displacement hull speeds. They also don't seem to
            be "instant boat" friendly designs.

            In the Atkins group here on Yahoo! groups, I found Atkin's WWII era
            300+ foot shallow draft tanker proposal to be really intriguing. That
            hull could scale down to a nifty <70' X 10' live aboard done in
            plywood. It would be a more weatherly variation of Bolger's Illinois

            Don Schultz

            Nels wrote............

            > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html
            >
            > Probably many members are aware of this design and the Sea Bright
            > tunnel design skiffs. But then for others it may be of interest.
            >
            > Nels

          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006
              Thanks for posting the link to our esteemed moderators live-a-board
              boat Don! After looking,or perhaps more like drooling, over the
              pictures on his site, I am more excited then ever about getting my own
              little oasis finished and launched!
              The shallow water capablities of some big boats is simply amazing!

              Thanks again!

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan,off to check out those sweat inducing pictures of Grand
              Gregg Carlsons' delicious Alligator snoozing in southern summer heat
              (oooh that lucky bastard :-D ) while we freeze our weenies off up
              here,along the mighty St.Lawrence..........

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...> wrote:

              >regg Carlson's Alligator liveaboard is referred to as a Biloxi
              > Lugger. I'll assume that is a reference to the superstructure.
              >
              > Waterline down she appears to be a Seabright Skiff with an Atkins
              > Tunnel.
              >
              > http://www.carlsondesign.com/alligator.html

            • ghartc
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006
                Don,

                That's right. A Biloxi Lugger is more or less a fishing trawler -
                sometimes converted, sometimes custom - usually fitted with a large
                rigid or canvas shade. Alligator stretches the definition a lot, as
                she's also lighter, narrower, and more efficient than most.

                Alligator develops a reverse angle on the aft end of the garboard
                planks, forming a tunnel - a little more extreme than a Seabright, I
                think. There was similar concept used in Dave Gerr's "Summer Kyle".
                The feature allows a 24" prop to be fitted in a similar draft. In
                fact, at rest, you scan swim under and see a pretty good sized bubble
                slightly above the prop (depending on how much water and fuel you
                have.) It "burps" at anchor, and, presumably disappears at speed.

                The 130 hp Deere sits mostly in the seabright box keel, with a
                perfectly horizontal, very short driveshaft (with cv joints) - a very
                simple driveline for its scale. It's hard-chined is really built
                instant-boat style, though admittedly, the chine angles vary, so chine
                logs would be a bit more complex.

                The boat is quite light - about 20K - and carries a lot of fuel and
                water - 300 and 800 gals, so it's largely water-ballasted.
                Nevertheless, she feels pretty lively to keel-boat sailors.

                In general, living under the shaded canopy seems quite civil - the
                cabin is insulated first from the sun, and then by the large airspace
                between, which provides storage for all kinds of dinghies and toys.
                There's a shaded deck aft, where you spend most of your time (near the
                on-deck beer cooler ;-) I wish Bolger would explore the form and
                perhaps simplify it.

                Obviously a boat like that's an enormous job. Luckily, my friend Bob,
                the designer/builder, was working for the future owner., me, at $ .50
                an hour. I watched the whole construction over 6-7 years, and have
                lots of pics to share if anyone's interested.

                Gregg Carlson

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "donschultz8275" <donschultz@...> wrote:

                > Gregg Carlson's Alligator liveaboard is referred to as a Biloxi
                > Lugger. I'll assume that is a reference to the superstructure.
                >
                > Waterline down she appears to be a Seabright Skiff with an Atkins
                > Tunnel.
                >
                > http://www.carlsondesign.com/alligator.html
                >
                > Study the perspective views apparently generated by Carlson's "Hulls"
                > software and you'll see what I mean. These JPEGs along with the pics
                > of SalsDad postings of his aluminum Rescue Minor helped me better
                > understand the Atkins "tunnel" hull designs.
                >
                > His "Huskie" work scow and "Twinkle" are different from the Seabright
                > Tunnels like "Shoals Runner" "Rescue Minor", and others.
                >
                > They are all interesting designs, but the Seabrights are, to me,
                > exceptional. I don't really see them as planing hulls but they surely
                > aren't limited to displacement hull speeds. They also don't seem to
                > be "instant boat" friendly designs.
                >
                > In the Atkins group here on Yahoo! groups, I found Atkin's WWII era
                > 300+ foot shallow draft tanker proposal to be really intriguing. That
                > hull could scale down to a nifty <70' X 10' live aboard done in
                > plywood. It would be a more weatherly variation of Bolger's Illinois
                >
                > Don Schultz
                >
                > Nels wrote............
                > >
                > > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html
                > >
                > > Probably many members are aware of this design and the Sea Bright
                > > tunnel design skiffs. But then for others it may be of interest.
                > >
                > > Nels

              • Kristine Bennett
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 31, 2006
                  You know the Alligators tunnle looks like what Higgens
                  used on the LCP and LCVP in world war 2 they were both
                  about 36 feet, right at 9 feet on the chines and drew
                  28 inches of water if I rember right.

                  There are still a few of them around Puget Sound. Not
                  bad for a boat that was made to make 2 or3 trips to
                  the beach in combat, some 60 pluse years ago. All the
                  ones I have seen had the 6-71 Jimmy in them for power.

                  Ahh yes good old wood boats.

                  Bright Blessing all and Have a happy NewYear!
                  Krissie

                  http://mail.yahoo.com