Bolger steel sharpie "Lions Paw"/PB chinese junk designs?

  • goadarama
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6 7:05 PM
      Did this sharpie ever actually sail? I know it was being built in
      Florida but no more info after that. Does anyone know of it and how it
      came out? Was it the only one built? Also: any other large crusing
      flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has done? We'd like to
      sell our Pearson and go back to shoal draft again... in steel...as our
      liveaboard home instead of the Pearson 33. Did PB ever do a full blown
      junk design? Best wishes, SV Wyldluv, Panama City
    • Doug Pollard
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6 7:41 PM
        Bolger designed Wolftrap in aluminum for me. I am a machinist and
        fabricator and I was very surprised that he understood metal as well as
        he does. He even designed some compound curves that were gentle enough
        to be pulled into place. I don't think that came out of a book. Seems
        more to me that he understands the material.

        Doug

        goadarama wrote:
        > Did this sharpie ever actually sail? I know it was being built in
        > Florida but no more info after that. Does anyone know of it and how it
        > came out? Was it the only one built? Also: any other large crusing
        > flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has done? We'd like to
        > sell our Pearson and go back to shoal draft again... in steel...as our
        > liveaboard home instead of the Pearson 33. Did PB ever do a full blown
        > junk design? Best wishes, SV Wyldluv, Panama City

        > dead horses
        > Fax: (978) 282-1349

        > Boating safety
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=r49p2sdeaMdE-HKp6VsBvQ>
        > Alaska outdoors
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=DMVKSdfVjcXwtIGevXt4yA>
        > Boating magazine
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=4i1edadVuO4gEFWwcL_-EQ>
        >
        > Great outdoors
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9lzoUcWE8Vy43nP6bzMgMQ>

      • Harry James
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 6 10:06 PM
          Somewhere in the Bolger lists are a couple of photos "Seven Stars" a 50
          ft Aluminum box keel sharpie, designed for Chinese Gaffer rig, only the
          hull got completed so far. Sitting in Nome awaiting a change of fortune
          of the builder. I put the pictures in a number of years ago, sure can't
          find them now.

          HJ

          goadarama wrote:
          > Did this sharpie ever actually sail? I know it was being built in
          > Florida but no more info after that. Does anyone know of it and how it
          > came out? Was it the only one built? Also: any other large crusing
          > flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has done? We'd like to
          > sell our Pearson and go back to shoal draft again... in steel...as our
          > liveaboard home instead of the Pearson 33. Did PB ever do a full blown
          > junk design? Best wishes, SV Wyldluv, Panama City

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Nels
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 7 2:54 AM
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "goadarama" <goadarama@...> wrote:

            > Did this sharpie ever actually sail? I know it was being built in
            > Florida but no more info after that. Does anyone know of it and how
            it
            > came out? Was it the only one built? Also: any other large crusing
            > flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has done? We'd like to
            > sell our Pearson and go back to shoal draft again... in steel...as
            our
            > liveaboard home instead of the Pearson 33. Did PB ever do a full
            blown
            > junk design? Best wishes, SV Wyldluv, Panama City

            There is another steel sharpie being built called ANTISPRAY or AS48 in
            Florida I think. Photos of a model here:

            And early construction photos in Bolger4 photos.

            Also read messages 6990, 7039 or 40510 and/or do a search of the
            archives with "Antispray" as the keyword.

            Being built by John and Susan Daniels, who also built "Banty" a well-
            travelled MICRO.

            Nels
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 7 3:19 AM
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:
              > There is another steel sharpie being built called ANTISPRAY or AS48
              in Florida I think. Photos of a model here:

              Correction: John and Susan and Antispray are located near Columbus
              Indiana.

              See message 39405.

              Nels
            • Jason Stancil
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 7 4:10 AM
                My all time favorite... Westyn Martyr.....45' x 6'9" steel sharpie
                with little jib headed mizzen / fore sail with a massive dipping lug
                main. Look in the bolger cartoon group for a bolger write up.
                Jason
              • pvanderwaart
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 7 8:32 AM
                  > Also: any other large crusing
                  > flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has done?

                  I have a bunch of questions and suggestions.

                  1) How shoal is shoal?
                  2) If it will suit, you would have a hard time beating the Tom Colvin
                  Gazelle design. They are often offered for sale, in steel, with junk
                  rig for sums less than any new PCB constuction. For example, there is
                  one in Norfolk now listed at $69,999. Draft is given as 3'10", so
                  maybe you need an even shallower boat.
                  3) How big a boat do you want? If you have been living on a Pearson
                  33, then you must have divested yourself of most of your worldy
                  posessions. That's a smallish size for steel, especially in a shoal
                  draft boat.
                  4) Lion's Paw doesn't seem a likely candidate to me, since it has only
                  about 5' headroom.
                  5) Your list of PCB designs should include the Solution 48. If you are
                  not aware of it, it's a bit like a 48', steel Teal, though the bottom
                  is a shallow Vee, not flat. Centerboard, ketch.
                  6) I would think the preference for steel construction would cut down
                  your options a lot.
                  7) There are a lot of steel desigs in the 30-35' range at
                  www.tantonyachts.com.
                  8) Are you going to sail a lot, or just live aboard. PCB's liveabord
                  schooner looks pretty good as a floating home.
                  9) PCB has designed several boats with junk rig, but none that I'm
                  aware of with simplified or steel construction, except for those
                  already mentioned.

                  Peter
                • ANDREW AIREY
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 7 9:19 AM
                    The classic design has to be Wylo II (not Bolger
                    unfortunately) 3' draft with a junk rig option and a
                    world cruiser in its standard gaff rig form.I've got a
                    junk rig cartoon that PCB sent to me after I wrote to
                    him about a year ago asking about the Weston Martyr
                    design - that was about 35' but in wood - I've written
                    to him again about Weston Martyr recently and am
                    waiting for a reply about some mods to make it more
                    liveaboard friendly.Have any ever been built?.To save
                    anyone looking it up it was designed to be capable of
                    doing the English narrow canals but also capable of
                    short sea passages so that you could do the
                    continental ones as well.Draft was 18",which was
                    fine,but the length,at 45',while ideal as a 'go
                    anywhere'canal cruiser,might,I thought,incur cost
                    penalties because a lot of these are based on length
                    Cheers
                    Andy Airey

                    --- pvanderwaart <pvanderwaart@...> wrote:

                    ---------------------------------
                    > Also: any other large crusing
                    > flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has
                    done?

                    I have a bunch of questions and suggestions.

                    1) How shoal is shoal?
                    2) If it will suit, you would have a hard time beating
                    the Tom Colvin
                    Gazelle design. They are often offered for sale, in
                    steel, with junk
                    rig for sums less than any new PCB constuction. For
                    example, there is
                    one in Norfolk now listed at $69,999. Draft is given
                    as 3'10", so
                    maybe you need an even shallower boat.
                    3) How big a boat do you want? If you have been living
                    on a Pearson
                    33, then you must have divested yourself of most of
                    your worldy
                    posessions. That's a smallish size for steel,
                    especially in a shoal
                    draft boat.
                    4) Lion's Paw doesn't seem a likely candidate to me,
                    since it has only
                    about 5' headroom.
                    5) Your list of PCB designs should include the
                    Solution 48. If you are
                    not aware of it, it's a bit like a 48', steel Teal,
                    though the bottom
                    is a shallow Vee, not flat. Centerboard, ketch.
                    6) I would think the preference for steel construction
                    would cut down
                    your options a lot.
                    7) There are a lot of steel desigs in the 30-35' range
                    at
                    www.tantonyachts.com.
                    8) Are you going to sail a lot, or just live aboard.
                    PCB's liveabord
                    schooner looks pretty good as a floating home.
                    9) PCB has designed several boats with junk rig, but
                    none that I'm
                    aware of with simplified or steel construction, except
                    for those
                    already mentioned.

                    Peter

                    Bolger rules!!!
                    - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
                    or flogging dead horses
                    - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
                    thanks, Fred' posts
                    - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                    and snip away
                    - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                    Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                    - Open discussion:
                    bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Boating safety
                    Alaska outdoors
                    Boating magazine
                    Great outdoors

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                  • goadarama
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 7 5:31 PM
                      Thanks for the questions.... TColvin has a suite of fishing junks in
                      steel from 40' on up that are a cross of the sharpie and dory in
                      nature with the wider junk stern gallery. Centerboard. I've not
                      bought study plans but this is about what I have in mind. TC is
                      quite expensive in plans compared to PCB. PB is in many ways a
                      proletariat designer, bless his designer soul. I was kinda hoping
                      he'd played with the classic junk designs and put them through his
                      instant boat process. In the end I may have to resort to my old
                      standby of crafting "shorey" models from cereal box cardboard....
                      they come out amazingly well in sizes about 7" long and closely
                      approximate the finished hull (I made a 38' shorey instant boat
                      style from such a model). That and the PLYBOATS program will
                      probably be my just due. In regards to price that shorey came in for
                      about 10 grand. Some $69K beauty just isn't in my cards.

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@...>
                      wrote:

                      > > Also: any other large crusing
                      > > flat bottomed or shoal draft STEEL designs PB has done?
                      >
                      > I have a bunch of questions and suggestions.
                      >
                      > 1) How shoal is shoal?
                      > 2) If it will suit, you would have a hard time beating the Tom
                      Colvin
                      > Gazelle design. They are often offered for sale, in steel, with
                      junk
                      > rig for sums less than any new PCB constuction. For example, there
                      is
                      > one in Norfolk now listed at $69,999. Draft is given as 3'10", so
                      > maybe you need an even shallower boat.
                      > 3) How big a boat do you want? If you have been living on a Pearson
                      > 33, then you must have divested yourself of most of your worldy
                      > posessions. That's a smallish size for steel, especially in a shoal
                      > draft boat.
                      > 4) Lion's Paw doesn't seem a likely candidate to me, since it has
                      only
                      > about 5' headroom.
                      > 5) Your list of PCB designs should include the Solution 48. If you
                      are
                      > not aware of it, it's a bit like a 48', steel Teal, though the
                      bottom
                      > is a shallow Vee, not flat. Centerboard, ketch.
                      > 6) I would think the preference for steel construction would cut
                      down
                      > your options a lot.
                      > 7) There are a lot of steel desigs in the 30-35' range at
                      > www.tantonyachts.com.
                      > 8) Are you going to sail a lot, or just live aboard. PCB's
                      liveabord
                      > schooner looks pretty good as a floating home.
                      > 9) PCB has designed several boats with junk rig, but none that I'm
                      > aware of with simplified or steel construction, except for those
                      > already mentioned.
                      >
                      > Peter

                    • goadarama
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 7 5:42 PM
                        WyloII is proven and pretty.... it's hard to beat a flat bottomed
                        boat for speed of construction. Personally at 51 I don't want to
                        waste a lot of time building a hard chined keel boat and would
                        rather be out there. Solution 48 is a tempting design. Both it and
                        the WMartyr have that wonderful 1/2" bulletproof steel bottom. Our
                        current liveaboard, a Pearson 33, has the unnerving characteristic
                        of a flooding keel if you run into something hard: one has to either
                        go up on the hard for MONTHS to dry it out or live with a slow leak
                        into the bilge. To me that takes it out of the true bluewater
                        cruiser class, even as it's a fine fine sailer. There are too many
                        shipping containers floating around inches below the surface now to
                        play around with all that. We have a little 16' centerboard sloop
                        that is a PURE DELIGHT to sail and after having a full keeled boat
                        we now see the wisdom in a shoal draft cruiser... at least for what
                        we want to do. I also don't relish diving on a fouled prop and would
                        much rather raise the outboard to do the same job. In short both
                        Solution 48 and the WMartyr look promising. Thanks for the feedback!!

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > none that I'm
                        > aware of with simplified or steel construction, except
                        > for those
                        > already mentioned.
                        >
                        > Peter

                        > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
                        > or flogging dead horses
                        > thanks, Fred' posts
                        > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                        > and snip away
                        > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                        > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                        > - Open discussion:
                        > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                        > Boating safety
                        > Alaska outdoors
                        > Boating magazine
                        > Great outdoors

                        > Terms of Service.
                        >

                        > ---------------------------------

                        > Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide
                        with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

                      • Harry James
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 8 9:43 PM
                          Carlson's hulls is better than plyboats and free.

                          HJ

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 9 6:10 AM
                            On 3/8/06, Harry James <welshman@...> wrote:
                            > Carlson's hulls is better than plyboats and free.
                            >
                            > HJ

                            This a matter of taste, of course, but personally I have switched from
                            hulls.exe to Freeship, as I find it to be easier and more versitile.
                          • Harry James
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 9 8:03 AM
                              Good catch Bruce, I had forgotten about Freeship, haven't had the time
                              to mess with it yet.

                              HJ