Re: [bolger] Re: Instant Cruisung Sailing Rowboat. Any for semi-protected water?

  • Gary Lepak
    Message 1 of 44 , Mar 6, 2006
      I built a Dolphin as a pure rowboat back in the 80's. I posted a picture of
      it in Bolger 5 photos,
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger5/photos/view/4db5?b=1

      It was built of 3/8" Airex foam, glass and epoxy and weighed about 100 lbs.
      It was so light we had to carry a water jug to balance a single oarsman. It
      rowed great with two, either together or taking turns. It had a huge
      capacity and would probably make a good camp cruiser, but of course was time
      consuming to build, requiring lofting and building a male mold. I think it
      would make a good sailboat with a small stowable rig, sprit or lug, kickup
      rudder and leeboard. We rowed it in the San Juan Islands of the Pacific
      Northwest and San Francisco bay.

      I like the idea of the dory with an outrigger, but what would you do with
      the outrigger if you want to switch to rowing when the wind dies? Would it
      be small enough to bring aboard? How about a double outrigger with the
      amas both out of the water when the boat is level. Actuallly they could be
      more like sponsons, close to the hull, with the oarlocks on them, at about
      5' beam over all, catch you if you heel too far, and make a hiking seat for
      sailing to help keep the boat level. It is something I'd like to try some
      day. You could call it "Sacrilege". It's a good thing in Bolger's world.
      ;-)
      Gary
      Port Angeles, WA, USA