micro navigatoresque' update.

  • Jason Stancil
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
      So i've gotten a lot of time in my boat lately.
      All seems to be OK but here's what i want to do.
      1. plane all spars down to 3/4 their current diameter....just to
      damn beefy, may shave the tabernacle down a bit too.
      2. permant installation of a off center board. It point's fine and
      tacks like a charm the current shape is long and skinny say 2' by
      20" exposed when down.
      3.Chip out 50 pounds of lead ballast and put in a second battery
      down low.
      4.Figure out what to do with the exhaust eddying into the
      house.....ROSE and OINK are you having this problem?
      5.Maybe....Come mid July add another 100 pounds of floatation(mostly
      under the foward and aft deck) and cut the navigator top off,
      shorten the mast lower the rig 2 feet and have a big a@@ oldshoe. It
      hit 80 here the other day and it's hot inside......regardless of
      downdraft. I'll make a big boom tent for it.
      6.Go knock it down in 3 feet of water and see if A. she floats and
      B. if i can stand her back up.

      Jason, continuing to sail and mangle a bolger masterpiece
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
        > 4.Figure out what to do with the exhaust eddying into the
        > house.....ROSE and OINK are you having this problem?

        I don't have an exhaust problem, with my Honda 4 stroke motor at least.

        > 6.Go knock it down in 3 feet of water and see if A. she floats and
        > B. if i can stand her back up.

        How are you going to force a knockdown? I can't imagine how, short of
        some major equipment.
      • Bill Kreamer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2006
          Watch out for gotchas Jason. A little bit goes a long way (toward reducing
          ultimate strength and increasing deflection in mast diameter recuction. Get
          a calculator off the internet to play with, like
          http://huntvac.com/tech_libr/deflection_calc/solid.html, for instance. It's
          for steel, but the principles in play are identical for wood.

          A horizontal cantilevered 4 inch steel rod, 20 feet long will deflect 4.2
          inches due to its own weight, but deflects 7.5 inches - nearly double - when
          the diameter is reduced to 3 inches. I don't know what the effect on
          ultimate strength is, but it's similar.

          Does anyone have a calculator for wood masts?

          - Bill

          _____

[...]

          Bolger rules!!!
          - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
          horses
          (978) 282-1349

          Alaska
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=B
          oating+safety&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9JLC1DQwyJ
          r8PwzaITIwkw> outdoors

          Boating
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=Bo
          ating+safety&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=-tVh09ZMNI6
          Vo3wQh1i4BA> safety

          Boating
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=
          Boating+safety&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=sF1tb0hVX
          -uiV3Ag-BIQlg> magazine

          Great
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Alaska+outdoors&w2=Bo
          ating+safety&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9JTGiesOZ6g
          mlb-83HgTNg> outdoors

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          on the web.

          _____

        • Jason Stancil
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2006
            > Watch out for gotchas Jason. A little bit goes a long way (toward
            reducing
            > ultimate strength and increasing deflection in mast diameter
            recuction. Get

            Bill-
            I am leary, but that monster......look at the pics for yourself.
            doesn't deflect at all before i need to reef. In the conditions i sail
            in plus alot of safety margin, i figure i can lose 3/4 all around and
            still be super stiff......first things first I've got to lighten up
            the yard, and get a thicker halyard(killing my hands) as i can barely
            heave it up as is.
            Jason
          • dbaldnz
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2006
              My head's reeling, trying to keep up with your organically evolving
              Navigator.
              I have had no trouble with engine smoke in the cabin. But we always
              have a breeze here, and maybe my sponsons change the airflow.
              I too shaved my mast down, but have had to build it back again with
              carbon-fibre, though I think it was much lighter than yours.
              Do you have a purchase on your hallyard rope?
              Cheers,
              Don

              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamer@...> wrote:

              > Watch out for gotchas Jason. A little bit goes a long way (toward
              reducing
              > ultimate strength and increasing deflection in mast diameter
              recuction. Get
              > a calculator off the internet to play with, like
              > http://huntvac.com/tech_libr/deflection_calc/solid.html, for
              instance. It's
              > for steel, but the principles in play are identical for wood.
              >
              > A horizontal cantilevered 4 inch steel rod, 20 feet long will
              deflect 4.2
              > inches due to its own weight, but deflects 7.5 inches - nearly
              double - when
              > the diameter is reduced to 3 inches. I don't know what the effect on
              > ultimate strength is, but it's similar.
              >
              > Does anyone have a calculator for wood masts?
              >
              > - Bill
              >

              > _____

              Behalf Of
              > Jason Stancil
              > Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 1:03 PM
              > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [bolger] micro navigatoresque' update.
              >

              > So i've gotten a lot of time in my boat lately.
              > All seems to be OK but here's what i want to do.
              > 1. plane all spars down to 3/4 their current diameter....just to
              > damn beefy, may shave the tabernacle down a bit too.
              > 2. permant installation of a off center board. It point's fine and
              > tacks like a charm the current shape is long and skinny say 2' by
              > 20" exposed when down.
              > 3.Chip out 50 pounds of lead ballast and put in a second battery
              > down low.
              > 4.Figure out what to do with the exhaust eddying into the
              > house.....ROSE and OINK are you having this problem?
              > 5.Maybe....Come mid July add another 100 pounds of floatation(mostly
              > under the foward and aft deck) and cut the navigator top off,
              > shorten the mast lower the rig 2 feet and have a big a@@ oldshoe. It
              > hit 80 here the other day and it's hot inside......regardless of
              > downdraft. I'll make a big boom tent for it.
              > 6.Go knock it down in 3 feet of water and see if A. she floats and
              > B. if i can stand her back up.
              >
              > Jason, continuing to sail and mangle a bolger masterpiece

              > horses
              Fax:

              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger> "