Re: Birdwatcher II

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006

      > On 3/2/06, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:
      > > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
      > > David Jost
      >
      > I am intensely curious. Is there a building key, or commentary
      > included with the plans?

      According to Bob Larkin there is a ten page building key and five
      17X22 blueprints.

      http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm

      Nels
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

        > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
        >
        > Next, the master planning. Nervous anticipation has arisen as my
        > proximity to Mr. Bolger's residence means that there will be a
        certain
        > level of boatbuilder accountibility here. A hack job is out of
        the
        > question.

        David,

        Excellent good news!!! By all means take the time(and materials)
        needed to do a first class rendition....it will be a thing of beauty
        worth passing on to the kids which you'll never
        regret!.Besides,you've had some good practice with a few other
        Bolger boats and have thus built yourself out of any further excuses
        for "hack jobs":-)

        All the best to ya!!

        Sincerely,

        Peter Lenihan,feeling some early signs of Spring already creeping in
        along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........
      • dnjost
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
          Ok -

          It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
          the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
          key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
          Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

          The building method as far as I have figured out is simplistic beyond
          belief. Lay out the ply sheets, attach to frames and stem, square up
          and put the bottom on. The rest is in the details: Mast (haven't
          quite figured that one out yet), Centreboard 109 lbs steel ballast
          insert, rudder, sails, etc, lexan windows.

          Pretty cool, and well worth the cost of the plans just for the puzzle
          solving aspect of the project.

          My plan is to attack it little by little, and then build the same
          way.

          1st step = materials list

          David Jost
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
            > 1st step = materials list
            >
            > David Jost

            A quickie model, made from cardboard, might also be a good first step.
          • John Bell
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
              From: "dnjost" <davidjost@...>

              > The rest is in the details: Mast (haven't
              > quite figured that one out yet),

              If it's the same mast as as shown on the original BW, the it's a puzzler.
              Cutting the long vee's in the center plug is doable, but how are you
              supposed to insure those skinny points are glued on the inside of the main
              box section?

              I'd build either a standard box section or a birdsmouth and be done with it.
            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                John -

                That about sums it up...the puzzler. It appears to be series of
                concentric box spars that are glued one inside the other and then
                faired smooth. Will investigate a little bit on this as I really want
                to build to plans and not deviate unless absolutely essential.

                I suppose this would allow the use of shorter pieces of good stock and
                avoid the hassle of trying to scarf and find straight pieces w/o
                blemishes, and result it scarfed sections through the fairing process.
                It actually seems reasonable. No need for the expense of sitka spruce!

                Bruce's idea of doing a model first is quite rational.

                Thanks to all for the support and ideas.

                David Jost
              • saillips
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                  > Ok -
                  >
                  > It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
                  > the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
                  > key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
                  > Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

                  Hi David,
                  When I receieved my BW2 plans,I found it very helpful to go through
                  the key and refer to the plans sheets at the same time, several times
                  over before doing anything. Since there is no "building sequence" per
                  se, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents on what worked and what I'd do
                  differently "next time".
                  I laid out my side panels with butt blocks and installed all interior
                  framing while flat on the floor. I then flipped the panels and
                  preglassed using Garth Batista's technique(see Jim Michalak's web
                  page, back issues) of rolling a plasitc film on top of the wet
                  epoxy/glass.He used Mylar and got an almost mirror finish. I used
                  sheet plastic and got a very smooth surface that reduced my fairing to
                  almost nothing. If you're using top quality materials, like Bob Larkin
                  is, you may want to skip the exterior glass on the topsides.I used ACX
                  ply. These things worked well.
                  I also pre-cut the motor cut-out on the starboard side while the
                  panels were flat.Seemed like a good idea at the time. This resulted in
                  an unfair bend in that area when the sides were sprung around the
                  frames. It took some wrestling to correct, and I'd wait until the hull
                  is together and perhaps the deck is on before cutting it out "next time".
                  After the sides were on the frames I laminated the sheer clamps and
                  chine logs. I cut my chine logs flush with the inner stem and stern
                  posts, before I added the exterior stem and stern caps. Because of
                  aesthetics and perhaps strength, I'd let the chine logs flow into the
                  exterior pieces "next time", like Bob Larkin did.
                  The plans are vague about the sheer clamp/window transition to the aft
                  deck, but Bob seems to have figured it out quite nicely. I'm not that
                  far yet.
                  Finally, if I were to do it again I would take Bruce's advice and
                  build a model first.........like Bob did!
                  Bottom line, build like Bob Larkin. He's thoughtful and meticulous in
                  building, and generous and kind with advice.
                  My pics are in bolger4photos.
                  Best wishes in your building adventure,
                  David Lipsey
                • dnjost
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                    David -

                    thanks for the advice, and encouragement.

                    I finally had a couple of hours to sit with the plans, scale rule,
                    and building key and had some fun just figuring out how it all goes
                    together.

                    Having built Micro, the sequence appears to be similar without the
                    bother of the lead keel assembly. I am sure putting the 109lb board
                    in place will be no easy task, but I plan to employ slave labor here
                    (14 year old son).

                    The mast does appear to be as Bruce described as having the tapered
                    plug on the top 6' of mast. This appears to be the most challenging
                    carpentry. I may do up a birdsmouth or go with the standard box spar
                    as described in Chapelle's book. I am tempted to rabbet out some
                    2x4's glue them up, taper, and plug em' but I can see where the
                    orientation of the wood in the 4 sided box will add strength while
                    reducing weight aloft.

                    The good news is that it really is built in a sort of instant boat
                    fashion. (and my basement is exactly 25' long with huge removeable
                    bay windows!

                    DAvid Jost