Re: [bolger] Birdwatcher II

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
      On 3/2/06, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:
      > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
      > David Jost

      I am intensely curious. Is there a building key, or commentary
      included with the plans?
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006

        > On 3/2/06, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:
        > > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
        > > David Jost
        >
        > I am intensely curious. Is there a building key, or commentary
        > included with the plans?

        According to Bob Larkin there is a ten page building key and five
        17X22 blueprints.

        http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm

        Nels
      • Peter Lenihan
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

          > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
          >
          > Next, the master planning. Nervous anticipation has arisen as my
          > proximity to Mr. Bolger's residence means that there will be a
          certain
          > level of boatbuilder accountibility here. A hack job is out of
          the
          > question.

          David,

          Excellent good news!!! By all means take the time(and materials)
          needed to do a first class rendition....it will be a thing of beauty
          worth passing on to the kids which you'll never
          regret!.Besides,you've had some good practice with a few other
          Bolger boats and have thus built yourself out of any further excuses
          for "hack jobs":-)

          All the best to ya!!

          Sincerely,

          Peter Lenihan,feeling some early signs of Spring already creeping in
          along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........
        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
            Ok -

            It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
            the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
            key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
            Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

            The building method as far as I have figured out is simplistic beyond
            belief. Lay out the ply sheets, attach to frames and stem, square up
            and put the bottom on. The rest is in the details: Mast (haven't
            quite figured that one out yet), Centreboard 109 lbs steel ballast
            insert, rudder, sails, etc, lexan windows.

            Pretty cool, and well worth the cost of the plans just for the puzzle
            solving aspect of the project.

            My plan is to attack it little by little, and then build the same
            way.

            1st step = materials list

            David Jost
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
              > 1st step = materials list
              >
              > David Jost

              A quickie model, made from cardboard, might also be a good first step.
            • John Bell
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                  John -

                  That about sums it up...the puzzler. It appears to be series of
                  concentric box spars that are glued one inside the other and then
                  faired smooth. Will investigate a little bit on this as I really want
                  to build to plans and not deviate unless absolutely essential.

                  I suppose this would allow the use of shorter pieces of good stock and
                  avoid the hassle of trying to scarf and find straight pieces w/o
                  blemishes, and result it scarfed sections through the fairing process.
                  It actually seems reasonable. No need for the expense of sitka spruce!

                  Bruce's idea of doing a model first is quite rational.

                  Thanks to all for the support and ideas.

                  David Jost
                • saillips
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                    > Ok -
                    >
                    > It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
                    > the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
                    > key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
                    > Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

                    Hi David,
                    When I receieved my BW2 plans,I found it very helpful to go through
                    the key and refer to the plans sheets at the same time, several times
                    over before doing anything. Since there is no "building sequence" per
                    se, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents on what worked and what I'd do
                    differently "next time".
                    I laid out my side panels with butt blocks and installed all interior
                    framing while flat on the floor. I then flipped the panels and
                    preglassed using Garth Batista's technique(see Jim Michalak's web
                    page, back issues) of rolling a plasitc film on top of the wet
                    epoxy/glass.He used Mylar and got an almost mirror finish. I used
                    sheet plastic and got a very smooth surface that reduced my fairing to
                    almost nothing. If you're using top quality materials, like Bob Larkin
                    is, you may want to skip the exterior glass on the topsides.I used ACX
                    ply. These things worked well.
                    I also pre-cut the motor cut-out on the starboard side while the
                    panels were flat.Seemed like a good idea at the time. This resulted in
                    an unfair bend in that area when the sides were sprung around the
                    frames. It took some wrestling to correct, and I'd wait until the hull
                    is together and perhaps the deck is on before cutting it out "next time".
                    After the sides were on the frames I laminated the sheer clamps and
                    chine logs. I cut my chine logs flush with the inner stem and stern
                    posts, before I added the exterior stem and stern caps. Because of
                    aesthetics and perhaps strength, I'd let the chine logs flow into the
                    exterior pieces "next time", like Bob Larkin did.
                    The plans are vague about the sheer clamp/window transition to the aft
                    deck, but Bob seems to have figured it out quite nicely. I'm not that
                    far yet.
                    Finally, if I were to do it again I would take Bruce's advice and
                    build a model first.........like Bob did!
                    Bottom line, build like Bob Larkin. He's thoughtful and meticulous in
                    building, and generous and kind with advice.
                    My pics are in bolger4photos.
                    Best wishes in your building adventure,
                    David Lipsey
                  • dnjost
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                      David -

                      thanks for the advice, and encouragement.

                      I finally had a couple of hours to sit with the plans, scale rule,
                      and building key and had some fun just figuring out how it all goes
                      together.

                      Having built Micro, the sequence appears to be similar without the
                      bother of the lead keel assembly. I am sure putting the 109lb board
                      in place will be no easy task, but I plan to employ slave labor here
                      (14 year old son).

                      The mast does appear to be as Bruce described as having the tapered
                      plug on the top 6' of mast. This appears to be the most challenging
                      carpentry. I may do up a birdsmouth or go with the standard box spar
                      as described in Chapelle's book. I am tempted to rabbet out some
                      2x4's glue them up, taper, and plug em' but I can see where the
                      orientation of the wood in the 4 sided box will add strength while
                      reducing weight aloft.

                      The good news is that it really is built in a sort of instant boat
                      fashion. (and my basement is exactly 25' long with huge removeable
                      bay windows!

                      DAvid Jost