Re: [bolger] Re: Bolger wikipedia index

  • Gene T
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
      Reading your last sentence... Will the "links" section of the group provide a third place to access pictures after "photos" and "files". Is there a shortcomming to that Yahoo facility?

      Gene T.

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
        > Reading your last sentence... Will the "links" section of the group provide a third place to access pictures after "photos" and "files". Is there a shortcomming to that Yahoo facility?
        >
        > Gene T.

        The Yahoo Links section works, but it is not as versatile at
        Wikipedia's by far. Also, I oppose donating my time to a 'for profit'
        concern like Yahoo. Read their fine print, they take license to what
        we write.
      • Bruce Fountain
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
          >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:
          > I just got a chance to diagnose the problem and it appears that
          Yahoo
          > puts a bomb in their URL's that prevents direct linking. In other
          > words, the link works from my PC, but apparently not from yours.

          The problem is that yahoo requires that you be logged in to
          access the files and photos sections, although this is not a
          requirement to access the messages.

          I know that public/member access to the messages is a configurable
          setting for the group, is it possible to make the other sections
          public?

          Bruce Fountain
          Systems Engineer
          Union Switch & Signal
          Perth, Western Australia

        • Máximo
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
            > The problem is that yahoo requires that you be logged in to

            A year ago, I suggest to start a small website with a database of Bolger
            designs, description, size, photos, study-plans, links, commentaries, etc.

            The idea (except for Stefan, Curtis and a few others) didn t get much
            response from the Bolger community. Nobody send data, photos or anything.
            The site would be free, you don t need to register, and if I get a donation
            for hosting, is a plus (but not mandatory) I think people dislike this, I
            dont know.

            Even Bruce tried to start a flickr group for more photo storage, also
            Wikipedia, and I see that people didn t like also very much neither of them.

            As an example, I start a free small website of a local class of sailboat
            from the 70s "Alpha 25", and I have a lot of response from the owners, who
            send me photos, technical data, etc (In spanish)
            http://www.alpha25.com.ar

            I offer again my colaboration as a web developer, to start some kind of
            website that contains an "index" of the 600+ Bolger designs.

            Regards, Máximo.
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
              > I offer again my colaboration as a web developer, to start some kind of
              > website that contains an "index" of the 600+ Bolger designs.
              >
              > Regards, Máximo.

              Great, do it. That is a beautiful thing about the Web, is that
              content in far away places can be linked together easily.