Inpolite gossip about Phil and Susanne's motivations and business conduct

  • marilyn1.armstrong
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2 12:37 AM
      I visualize a large group of people who love boats, boat design,
      boatbuilding and boating. I observe a few people vocalizing a
      disturbance that is cheap speculation and hurtful gossip. The
      disturbance ripples through a few posts...but the disturbance
      subsides and most group members continue the legitimate uses of the
      Group: exchange of information not hurtful jabs at the Group
      namesakes: Phil and Suzanne, boat designers of excellence.

      And for the impatient Group members: Rollin dalPiaz comissioned
      Yonder. In an E-mail, he stated the design was delivered after over
      two years by previous agreement. Rollin and PB&F had agreed in
      advance that it would be "fillin work". In the end, Phil commented
      that the design had benefited from so much time on the Wall in his
      office. Now, Rollin is a patient man and look at the result. Yonder
      is a Bolger masterpiece. Impatient patrons of the arts had better
      engage designers equpped with Microstation CAD and the type of
      marketing and sales hype that satisfies the gotta have it now crowd.

      Please conduct gossip in private or not at all. Please complain to
      PB&F if you have problems about their buisness practices. Please be
      patient, respectful and accepting of these two boat designers.
    • Paul W. Esterle
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 1:33 AM
        Well said. PB&F march to the beat of their own drummer and it has
        resulted in some remarkable boats. It's their business to run as they
        please. If someone wants designs done on a rapid time lime, go to one of
        the other designers, Taunton, Dix, Glen-L, for example.

        Paul Esterle - Freelance Boating Writer
        Columbia 10.7/Matilda 20
        North East MD
        www.captnpauley.com
        pages.preferred.com/~pesterle/

        marilyn1.armstrong wrote:
        > I visualize a large group of people who love boats, boat design,
        > boatbuilding and boating. I observe a few people vocalizing a
        > disturbance that is cheap speculation and hurtful gossip. The
        > disturbance ripples through a few posts...but the disturbance
        > subsides and most group members continue the legitimate uses of the
        > Group: exchange of information not hurtful jabs at the Group
        > namesakes: Phil and Suzanne, boat designers of excellence.
        >
        > And for the impatient Group members: Rollin dalPiaz comissioned
        > Yonder. In an E-mail, he stated the design was delivered after over
        > two years by previous agreement. Rollin and PB&F had agreed in
        > advance that it would be "fillin work". In the end, Phil commented
        > that the design had benefited from so much time on the Wall in his
        > office. Now, Rollin is a patient man and look at the result. Yonder
        > is a Bolger masterpiece. Impatient patrons of the arts had better
        > engage designers equpped with Microstation CAD and the type of
        > marketing and sales hype that satisfies the gotta have it now crowd.
        >
        > Please conduct gossip in private or not at all. Please complain to
        > PB&F if you have problems about their buisness practices. Please be
        > patient, respectful and accepting of these two boat designers.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > .

      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 7:52 AM
          I presume that Marilyn and Paul are referring to my post, which
          mentions that we've been in the queue for some five years on our
          commission. It's unfortunate that you interpreted my comments to
          be "cheap speculation" or "hurtful gossip" or to reflect impatience
          or unhappiness. Everything I wrote about our commission was factual,
          and although we are frustrated at the delays, we have no intentions
          of complaining or backing out of the deal. If you think my mention
          of these facts, some of which came from PB&F, is "wanting things on a
          fast time lime(sic)," or "hurtful jabs," or makes me one of
          the "gotta have it now crowd," you are mistaken.

          Certainly the legitimate uses of this group include providing
          information on actual timelines that may assist others who are
          contemplating commissioning a design. I have no doubt that PB&F
          would provide the same information if asked, and indeed, they have
          frequently referred to some of these delays in various MAIB articles
          (BWII, Becky Thatcher, to name but two). Conversely, attempting to
          censor group members for providing this information hardly seems like
          an appropriate, or polite, use of the group.

          Jon Kolb
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2 8:31 AM
            On 3/2/06, adventures_in_astrophotography <jon@...> wrote:
            > I presume that Marilyn and Paul are referring to my post,

            FWIW Jon, when I read your earlier posts I don't get a negative or
            hurtful impression.

            My $0.02. There are an infinite number of problems that can delay
            boatbuilding projects, and just how one deals with problems,
            positively or negatively, determines your path through life. I like
            your resiliency and am jealous of your shop!

            And, unrelated questions:

            I wonder how many Bolger designs never get built?

            For those of us that share Bolger's dreams, do we have some obligation
            to build them?

            And just which of us whiners is planning to build a Superbrick?

            Or a Col. Hassler, or a Bonefish, or a Yonder, or a Fiji, or a Camper
            640, or a Diamond, or a Dugong, or a Eeek!, or a Dynamite, or a
            Felucca, or a Fiddler II, or a Berrigaria, or an Anhinga, or an
            Abbondana, or an Antispray and I could name a hundred others.
          • echo172@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2 12:11 PM
              > I wonder how many Bolger designs never get built?

              .02 from me can't hurt... I searched and searched for plans, bought over a dozen books and finally found that a bolger design, fisherman launch (shivaree), is the best craft for my needs off the Jersey coast. I communicated with PB&F via fax and he asked I send photos of the work, I will. After getting the plans and knowing myself too well I realized I can't complete the boat in time to be on the water this season. I ordered Grande Diablo plans to speed a build and I'll build the lapstrake boat between fishing trips, I hope. I would probably buy more plans if the "perfect" boat came along, a power cat, but I'm not likely to build more than two boats, if I do that many.