Re: [bolger] Re: Bolger wikipedia index

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
      > profit site would be good. An issue with Wikipedia is that folks
      > would seem obliged to learn HTML to provide new contributions, edit,
      > and add links etc.

      Wikipedia doesn't require HTML. Adding links is as simple as
      putting [[square backets]] around the URL. And more, Wikipedia
      is resiliant, you can't break it. To edit a page, click 'edit this page',
      located at the top of each page. It really is as easy as using
      a word processor.

      > The yahoo(groups) format is
      > one that folks are used to, and it's easy to pick up.

      I don't suggest that we move the discussion group. It is just the
      file / photo storage that is hobbled by the Yahoo inablity to
      provide URL links to files and photos.
    • Gene T
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
        Reading your last sentence... Will the "links" section of the group provide a third place to access pictures after "photos" and "files". Is there a shortcomming to that Yahoo facility?

        Gene T.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
          > Reading your last sentence... Will the "links" section of the group provide a third place to access pictures after "photos" and "files". Is there a shortcomming to that Yahoo facility?
          >
          > Gene T.

          The Yahoo Links section works, but it is not as versatile at
          Wikipedia's by far. Also, I oppose donating my time to a 'for profit'
          concern like Yahoo. Read their fine print, they take license to what
          we write.
        • Bruce Fountain
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
            >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:
            > I just got a chance to diagnose the problem and it appears that
            Yahoo
            > puts a bomb in their URL's that prevents direct linking. In other
            > words, the link works from my PC, but apparently not from yours.

            The problem is that yahoo requires that you be logged in to
            access the files and photos sections, although this is not a
            requirement to access the messages.

            I know that public/member access to the messages is a configurable
            setting for the group, is it possible to make the other sections
            public?

            Bruce Fountain
            Systems Engineer
            Union Switch & Signal
            Perth, Western Australia

          • Máximo
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
              > The problem is that yahoo requires that you be logged in to

              A year ago, I suggest to start a small website with a database of Bolger
              designs, description, size, photos, study-plans, links, commentaries, etc.

              The idea (except for Stefan, Curtis and a few others) didn t get much
              response from the Bolger community. Nobody send data, photos or anything.
              The site would be free, you don t need to register, and if I get a donation
              for hosting, is a plus (but not mandatory) I think people dislike this, I
              dont know.

              Even Bruce tried to start a flickr group for more photo storage, also
              Wikipedia, and I see that people didn t like also very much neither of them.

              As an example, I start a free small website of a local class of sailboat
              from the 70s "Alpha 25", and I have a lot of response from the owners, who
              send me photos, technical data, etc (In spanish)
              http://www.alpha25.com.ar

              I offer again my colaboration as a web developer, to start some kind of
              website that contains an "index" of the 600+ Bolger designs.

              Regards, Máximo.
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                > I offer again my colaboration as a web developer, to start some kind of
                > website that contains an "index" of the 600+ Bolger designs.
                >
                > Regards, Máximo.

                Great, do it. That is a beautiful thing about the Web, is that
                content in far away places can be linked together easily.