Re: Bolger wikipedia index

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
      >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:

      I hear what you're saying Bruce. An independent community run non-
      profit site would be good. An issue with Wikipedia is that folks
      would seem obliged to learn HTML to provide new contributions, edit,
      and add links etc. I feel a fair degree of resistance personally to
      investing the time and energy into such a learning task. I probably
      could if I really had to, but at the moment the "H" in HTML might as
      well stand for "huh?" (said as the eyes glaze over I'm afraid).

      You're right to point out that if Yahoo site content became
      inaccessible for any reason we'd be at a loss. As an Index elsewhere
      (say, Wikipedia) to yahoo bolgergroups' files, photos, links, and
      threads would also lose currency it may be prudent to back-up all
      those "stored things" as you suggest. The yahoo(groups) format is
      one that folks are used to, and it's easy to pick up. Is there any
      move at Wiki to provide a similar way for contributors to use the
      site? I've seen news and blog type sites adopt commercially
      available software that allow IT-challenged people easier
      involvement. Yahoo, Microsoft, Google etc. don't seem to have a
      monopoly on methods of interacting for people without HTML skills.

      By the way that bomb must also prevent yahoogroups' content being
      displayed off-line. Only individually viewed posts are available to
      me when off line, no expanded batched messages, files, or photos.

      Graeme

      > > > Feel free to fix them.
      > >
      > > I checked the link seeking information. So how am I supposed
      to "fix
      > > them"?
      >
      > I just got a chance to diagnose the problem and it appears that
      Yahoo

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2006
        > profit site would be good. An issue with Wikipedia is that folks
        > would seem obliged to learn HTML to provide new contributions, edit,
        > and add links etc.

        Wikipedia doesn't require HTML. Adding links is as simple as
        putting [[square backets]] around the URL. And more, Wikipedia
        is resiliant, you can't break it. To edit a page, click 'edit this page',
        located at the top of each page. It really is as easy as using
        a word processor.

        > The yahoo(groups) format is
        > one that folks are used to, and it's easy to pick up.

        I don't suggest that we move the discussion group. It is just the
        file / photo storage that is hobbled by the Yahoo inablity to
        provide URL links to files and photos.
      • Gene T
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
          Reading your last sentence... Will the "links" section of the group provide a third place to access pictures after "photos" and "files". Is there a shortcomming to that Yahoo facility?

          Gene T.

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
            > Reading your last sentence... Will the "links" section of the group provide a third place to access pictures after "photos" and "files". Is there a shortcomming to that Yahoo facility?
            >
            > Gene T.

            The Yahoo Links section works, but it is not as versatile at
            Wikipedia's by far. Also, I oppose donating my time to a 'for profit'
            concern like Yahoo. Read their fine print, they take license to what
            we write.
          • Bruce Fountain
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
              >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@...> wrote:
              > I just got a chance to diagnose the problem and it appears that
              Yahoo
              > puts a bomb in their URL's that prevents direct linking. In other
              > words, the link works from my PC, but apparently not from yours.

              The problem is that yahoo requires that you be logged in to
              access the files and photos sections, although this is not a
              requirement to access the messages.

              I know that public/member access to the messages is a configurable
              setting for the group, is it possible to make the other sections
              public?

              Bruce Fountain
              Systems Engineer
              Union Switch & Signal
              Perth, Western Australia

            • Máximo
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                > The problem is that yahoo requires that you be logged in to

                A year ago, I suggest to start a small website with a database of Bolger
                designs, description, size, photos, study-plans, links, commentaries, etc.

                The idea (except for Stefan, Curtis and a few others) didn t get much
                response from the Bolger community. Nobody send data, photos or anything.
                The site would be free, you don t need to register, and if I get a donation
                for hosting, is a plus (but not mandatory) I think people dislike this, I
                dont know.

                Even Bruce tried to start a flickr group for more photo storage, also
                Wikipedia, and I see that people didn t like also very much neither of them.

                As an example, I start a free small website of a local class of sailboat
                from the 70s "Alpha 25", and I have a lot of response from the owners, who
                send me photos, technical data, etc (In spanish)
                http://www.alpha25.com.ar

                I offer again my colaboration as a web developer, to start some kind of
                website that contains an "index" of the 600+ Bolger designs.

                Regards, Máximo.
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 2, 2006
                  > I offer again my colaboration as a web developer, to start some kind of
                  > website that contains an "index" of the 600+ Bolger designs.
                  >
                  > Regards, Máximo.

                  Great, do it. That is a beautiful thing about the Web, is that
                  content in far away places can be linked together easily.