Re: Love or money?

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

      > There is a whole separate issue, that of his letters. While
      drawing
      > thousands of discarded designs and finishing 700 or so he has had
      > voluminous correspondence with his customers. Many of his designs
      have
      > involved almost a books worth of letters.
      >
      > HJ

      Right you are Harry!

      His letters alone, are not just about boat design either, but cover
      an entire philosphy as well a historical period in American life and
      boating across time and borders.

      There could be a museum totally devoted to him and those whom he has
      associated with. And it would be of interest to a broad spectrum of
      the population. Of course there could be no better location than
      Glouster either.

      It is too bad we seem to have to wait until a person is gone to
      offer them the respect and recognition they should have been given
      when still living.

      I listened to a program on public radio where they had as guests two
      archivests responsible for saving and cataloging significant
      materials of all kinds for the province I reside in, and it was
      pretty obvious how interested they were in their work. Stuff most of
      us would find incredibley boring. And with present technology they
      have some great tools and expertise to save and enhance old photos
      and newspaper articles etc. They were being paid to do this from the
      public purse but I think would do it for nothing if they had to. Was
      quite a revelation for me.

      And like they said. What is happening today, is tomorrow's history.
      Why wait until a lot of it gets lost or damaged beyond recognition?

      Maybe we could get a grant from Bill Gates. He owes us a favor:-)

      Nels