Re: [bolger] finishing systems?

  • Roger Dewhurst
    Message 1 of 7 , May 29, 2000
      At 15:26 30/05/00 +0000, you wrote:

      >My boat is covered in Polyurethane not epoxy.. Can I use oil based products?

      My house is varnished inside with polyurethane. Some of the house cleaning
      sprays and foams, which I think are petroleum based, do not react too well
      with the polyurethane. Thus I would be a bit suspicious of oil based
      paints. Why not try the acrylics which have been referred to? They are
      relatively cheap, water based (which makes life much easier) and last well
      enough. My house roof and garage roof were painted with acrylic paint about
      20 years ago. Most of the paint is still there and it is only now in need
      of re-painting. This in a New Zealand climate which is a good deal harder
      on the paint than the UK climate.

      Roger
    • daniel.curnutte@royalmail.co.uk
      Message 2 of 7 , May 30, 2000
        Please elaborate.. By house paint what do you mean? Paints are not described as
        "House Paint" over here. Would and Exterior Wood Gloss (oil based??) paint fit
        the bill? Or do you mean a vinyl emulsion type paint (surely not!!)..
      • Richard Spelling
        Message 3 of 7 , May 30, 2000
          100% acrylic latex exterior. Stay away from oil based paint and/or primer if
          you are going over epoxy.
          > Please elaborate.. By house paint what do you mean? Paints are not
          described as
          > "House Paint" over here. Would and Exterior Wood Gloss (oil based??) paint
          fit
          > the bill? Or do you mean a vinyl emulsion type paint (surely not!!)..

          > Missing old school friends? Find them here:

        • Richard Spelling
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2000
            You might try a small inconspicuous area with the paint you want to use.
            (always a good idea)

            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2000
              My boat is covered in Polyurethane not epoxy.. Can I use oil based products?