Re: Yonder

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "marilyn1.armstrong"
      <marilyn1.armstrong@...> wrote:

      > Chip Humphreys has provided a service for the Group by posting a
      three
      > view scan of "Yonder" plans. This exceptional design by Phil and
      > Suzanne comes with many sheets of plans and a 49 page construction
      > syllabus. Has one of these craft been launched yet? How many are
      > under construction at present? Marilyn Armstrong
      >
      > Post: 46898 Yonder Info Found by Chip Humphreys

      There was a fair amount of discussion about Yonder a few years back
      and Bruce Hallman did a paper model and posted photos of the hull
      shape.

      http://community.webshots.com/album/343514976QUTQFQ

      Rollin dalPiaz commissioned the design and Mark Hall from Stockton
      CA purchased plans ($1000). Nothing has been mentioned about any
      building starting since then.

      It is an interesting design. Box keel construction that becomes the
      building jig for the framework and then strip planked, and plywood
      decking from the portlights up I think.

      I would also suggest the Alaskan Motorsailer as well, as it would be
      much less complicated to build. Yonder of course is world girding
      capable and AMS is more of a low effort coastal cruiser. Doesn't
      have the sail area nor the deep centerboard. I think I prefer the
      idea of the small diesel inboard to two outboards though. Just
      having read about the advantages in the Sitka Explorer article.

      You could maybe locate the email addresses of the two Yonder
      builders in the members list? Or messages search with "Yonder".

      Nels