Re: [bolger] Re: Delaware Trawler Outboard

  • Sam Glasscock
    Message 1 of 35 , Feb 28, 2006
      No offense meant, John. I love the Bartenders myself.
      I thought those wide rails gave some extra bearing
      surface for planing purposes. The Topaz is a
      narrower, lighter boat the the BT. My experience is
      that to prevent cavitation in a steep chop, the lower
      unit has to be a bit below what is otherwise optimal,
      and with that configuration she has a tendancy to trim
      nose-up under top-end power. I have never been lucky
      enough to ride on a BT, with or without the rails.
      Sure would love to, though. Sam

      --- John Kohnen <jhkohnen@...> wrote:

      > I've got to pipe up and defend the Bartender since
      > the fellow selling
      > George Calkins' plans now is a friend of mine. Those
      > aren't "squat
      > boards," an otherwise properly built Bartender will
      > plane fine without
      > them. The fin-like spray rail extensions provide
      > stability when turning.
      > Learn more about Bartenders here:
      >
      > http://www.bartenderboats.com/
      >
      > They're justifiably famous here in the Northwest.
      >
      > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:58:40 -0800, Sam Glasscock
      > wrote:

      > > Clyde, I agree. If I wanted more planing speed in
      > > Topaz, I would ask PB about squat boards like a
      > > Caulkins Bartender
      >
      > --
      > John <jkohnen@...>
      > He got hold of the red meat of the language and
      > turned it into hamburgers.
      > <Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway>

      > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
      > respamming, or flogging dead horses
      > thanks, Fred' posts
      > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
      > and snip away
      > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
      > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
      > - Open discussion:
      > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail.yahoo.com