Bolger Index (was Re: Wondervogel)

  • graeme19121984
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
      It would be a labourious task , I think, for someone to step up and
      create some kind index text document. And to remain useful it would
      need to be ongoing!

      To spread the load, how about another specific yahoogroup
      (perhaps "bolgerindex") being used by all members who could keep on
      adding to the entries and so day by day create a directory to all
      the other bolgergroups photos, files, and major threads for each
      design. Its Links section likewise might be updated creating a
      comprehensive web directory for Bolger . There would appear to be a
      few problems with this format, and no doubt those more knowledgeable
      in this area will see more: 1) How to keep such a directory in
      order, say alphabetical, and not have it become a jumble over time(
      among many questions: when is it appropriate to list a design by its
      number, or name); 2) whose name? eg Surf/Crab Skiff, Long
      Dory/Stretched Dory]; 3) The inability to ammend entries, except for
      moderators and the member author and; 4) limited 20MB files storage.

      I don't know enough IT stuff to say, but it occurs to me
      that a bolger yahoogroup *database table* might do. If a single
      database storage is insufficient then the index could be apportioned
      between more. The table would need a number of columns, principally
      of course, the design name or number. Other columns might be for: 2)
      the name of the other group/s where a file or photo may be found; 3)
      the initial message number of a *significant* thread about the
      design; 4) any *significant* contact details concerning the design;
      5) whether Building or Sailing; and so on.

      Could just the FIRST COLUMN alphabetically/numerically listing the
      design names and/or numbers in this group's Bolger Design List
      database (428 RECORDS!) BE copied then PASTED into a new group
      database as the first column? Call it, say, "All Bolgergroups
      Designs Index"? Would some able person step up and try? Once set up
      other members could then enter the details in the other columns at
      their leisure after perusing any particular file or photo as their
      fancy may take them. (Seems too easy, so I'm wondering about Murphy.)

      The yahoogroup database approach has the advantages that any member
      may add/ammend entries keeping it current, and it is easily
      downloadable complete. For example, I just added to the Bolger
      Design List for the "Sweet Pea" entry
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger/database?
      method=reportRows&tbl=3

      For the "Sweet Pea" entry in an All Bolgergroups Designs Index there
      might be for columns headed
      DesignName,DesignNumber,FileTypebuilding/using,File@bolger'n',Photo@b
      olger'n',#Thread,Contact,Links; such details respectively as
      SweetPea,570,both,bolger'?',bolger'?',#573,?,
      http://www.dejonghwoodcomposites.com/cape_split_peapod.htm

      Maybe the info about whether building or using would best be entered
      with the File@bolger'n' and Photo@bolger'n' details?

      Repeat: 428 records currently in design database! Be great to have
      easily searchable references to photos, files, and links for just
      these few!

      cheers
      Graeme

      -------------------------------------
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

      > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Hallman" <bruce@> wrote:
      > > Some volunteer could win my admiration for stepping up and
      creating
      > > an index of the files/photos stored on yahoo Bolger groups.
      >

      > I would love to win your admiration but I are a computer dud.
      >
      > One option might be to consider adding links to the photos or
      > webisites from the relevant files at the cartoons only site.
      >
      > Another option might be to catagorize the designs into sizes or
      > types and then create a separate yahoo group for each catagory. I
      > think this is more or less standard procedure at most boat design
      > websites.
      >
      > Also some groups have several assistant moderators as back-up
      > helpers.
      >
      > It pains me that PCB&F are obviously losing a lot of business by
      > being so inaccessable. JUst look at what Jim Michalak, John
      Welsford
      > and Paul Fisher are doing, just to mention three who's designs are
      > of interest to me.
      >
      > Sure, PCB&F are going to leave a great heritage behind, but why
      not
      > make more of it accessible right now?
      >
      > A working partnership between Duckworks and MAIB with online
      access
      > to all the Bolger articles comes to mind.
      >
      > Boy wouldn't that be great?
      >
      > Nels

    • graeme19121984
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2006
        >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "graeme19121984" <graeme19121984@...>
        wrote:
        > Repeat: 428 records currently in design database! Be great to have
        > easily searchable references to photos, files, and links for just
        > these few!

        And significant THREADS