Love or money?

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
      From: "Nels" <arvent@...>
      > It pains me that PCB&F are obviously losing a lot of business by
      > being so inaccessable. JUst look at what Jim Michalak, John Welsford
      > and Paul Fisher are doing, just to mention three who's designs are
      > of interest to me.
      >
      > Sure, PCB&F are going to leave a great heritage behind, but why not
      > make more of it accessible right now?

      Depends. Is Bolger working for love or money?Since he's still working at 79
      years old, I don't think money's the object any more. Now maybe Susanne has
      bigger plans for the money side of the equation when Phil finally stops
      working. Maybe not. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will give us something to
      talk about.

      Hopefully PCB&F will not take the path chosen by Antonio Dias.
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John Bell" <smallboatdesigner@...>
        wrote:
        > Depends. Is Bolger working for love or money?Since he's still
        working at 79
        > years old, I don't think money's the object any more. Now maybe
        Susanne has
        > bigger plans for the money side of the equation when Phil finally
        stops
        > working. Maybe not. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will give us
        something to
        > talk about.
        >
        > Hopefully PCB&F will not take the path chosen by Antonio Dias.

        Hi John,

        I wasn't referring to money but accessability. I get the impression
        that Jim and John and Paul are not in if for the money either so
        much as the love of their vocation.

        In an article of Phil's it seems he was lamenting that he gets very
        little feedback from many of the builders of his boats. I don't
        think that is the case with the three other designers I mentioned.
        Communication is not a one-way street - it goes both ways.

        I also observe prospective builders who are buying plans that are
        both more difficult and less capable than a comparable Bolger
        design. I wonder how many sets of Bolger plans are lost to the black
        market, which would dry up a lot if people could get first-hand
        information on the designs.

        Granted you can often get that information once you know his fax
        number and quite often get a phone call back. But how efficient is
        that if you are only mildly curious about a design and Susanne calls
        you back and talks to you for two hours?

        Both Michalak and Welsford have very simple web-sites and a
        discussion forum that they monitor at times. Then there is Duckworks
        with links to them as well as another discussion group that Chuck
        the Duckworks owner, contributes to. This combination gets the
        information out to a lot of people - many who are not aware of
        Bolger it seems - so it is like a missing opportunity.

        A person could die by the time his commission gets completed. A lot
        of us guys aren't so young as we were when we first heard about
        Phil;-)

        Nels
      • s_paskey
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
          The size of this group says it all: over 2700 members, nearly 50,000 posts. If Phil and
          Susanne made themselves "more accessible," they would be swamped by a flood of casual
          inquiries.

          For what it's worth, I've sent PCB & Friends several faxed inquiries, and have always
          received a prompt reply. I sent Jim Michalak an e-mail proposing to commission a design,
          and never heard back from him.
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "s_paskey" <s_paskey@...> wrote:

            > The size of this group says it all: over 2700 members, nearly
            50,000 posts. If Phil and
            > Susanne made themselves "more accessible," they would be swamped
            by a flood of casual
            > inquiries.
            >
            > For what it's worth, I've sent PCB & Friends several faxed
            inquiries, and have always
            > received a prompt reply. I sent Jim Michalak an e-mail proposing
            to commission a design,
            > and never heard back from him.

            Well then I guess the obvious choice would be to commission it
            through PCB&F then:-)

            Nels

            Nels
          • Michael Kelk
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
              Hi All,

              I recently wrote to Phil with this very question. I asked if he had a list
              of designs or a catalogue. I told him I am a librarian gathering a list of
              his designs from what I could find for my own reference and use. Even using
              a national database, not all his published books are held in Australia. I
              await his letter.

              I read in one of his posts to this site, that the job of getting his
              designs, with descriptions, on a Web site is enormous, but he seemed to be
              at least thinking on it. I live in Au but maybe someone near him could
              volunteer their time to Phil and take the task on. Maybe even a little
              group could be started. Many libraries rely on voluntary labour to get
              their photo collections in order. What we need is a total list of his work,
              a knowledge of the whole lot and accessible. Maybe this group could field
              simple questions on designs on Phil's behalf. Orders snail mailed to Phil
              with $ to help supply them. This yahoo group goes a long way towards that
              but its structure is not great for gathering a sense of the whole.

              Just my view but well worth considering before his death. A taped oral
              history of each design would surely be sought by the nearest oral history
              unit of the nearest State library (US equivalent). A taped oral history of
              his life would be good. How many have done your family history prior to
              your parents death? Could even make an interesting history thesis for a
              naval architect student. Wish I lived in the US. I would be on his door in
              a flash.

              Mike

              >> The size of this group says it all: over 2700 members, nearly
              > 50,000 posts. If Phil and
              >> Susanne made themselves "more accessible," they would be swamped
              > by a flood of casual
              >> inquiries.
              >>
              >> For what it's worth, I've sent PCB & Friends several faxed
              > inquiries, and have always
              >> received a prompt reply. I sent Jim Michalak an e-mail proposing
              > to commission a design,
              >> and never heard back from him.
              >>

              > Well then I guess the obvious choice would be to commission it
              > through PCB&F then:-)
              >
              > Nels
              >
              > Nels

              > horses
              > (978) 282-1349
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Nels
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kelk" <mikeboatman@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >> I read in one of his posts to this site, that the job of getting
                his
                > designs, with descriptions, on a Web site is enormous, but he
                seemed to be
                > at least thinking on it.

                I think that post is several years old now. The technology has
                advanced tremedously. I would suggest that an archived site could be
                set up quite quickly if a person was given access to be allowed to
                gather the information together. Archivists are really adept at
                stuff like that and do it for a lot of mundane stuff nobody will
                ever be interested in.

                And he is such a great writer that some of it should be documented
                as well. Almost every article he writes has an example of his
                cutting wit.

                It would be interesting to do a documentary on his life too. Most
                people are not even aware of what a living legend and genius he is.

                Also it would be great if he could get a sufficient income flow so
                he could travel to some of the places and actually sail there. I can
                think of Australia, NZ, - Tasmania for sure - and Alaska for the
                launching of Double Eagle and then back through Canada to see
                Windermere and Anenome hit the water. And get to a few messabouts as
                well if he felt like it and try some of the many designs he has not
                even seen in 3D let alone sailed.

                Nels
              • oarmandt
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                  I wonder if the issue isn't concern over possible theft of his
                  intellectual property. The problems with Common Sense Designs must
                  weigh heavily when they contemplate any new sales outlet or collaboration.

                  -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kelk" <mikeboatman@...> wrote:

                  > Hi All,
                  >
                  > I recently wrote to Phil with this very question. I asked if he had
                  a list
                  > of designs or a catalogue. I told him I am a librarian gathering a
                  list of
                  > his designs from what I could find for my own reference and use.
                  Even using
                  > a national database, not all his published books are held in
                  Australia. I
                  > await his letter.
                  >
                  > I read in one of his posts to this site, that the job of getting his
                  > designs, with descriptions, on a Web site is enormous, but he seemed
                  to be
                  > at least thinking on it. I live in Au but maybe someone near him could
                  > volunteer their time to Phil and take the task on. Maybe even a little
                  > group could be started. Many libraries rely on voluntary labour to get
                  > their photo collections in order. What we need is a total list of
                  his work,
                  > a knowledge of the whole lot and accessible. Maybe this group could
                  field
                  > simple questions on designs on Phil's behalf. Orders snail mailed
                  to Phil
                  > with $ to help supply them. This yahoo group goes a long way
                  towards that
                  > but its structure is not great for gathering a sense of the whole.
                  >
                  > Just my view but well worth considering before his death. A taped oral
                  > history of each design would surely be sought by the nearest oral
                  history
                  > unit of the nearest State library (US equivalent). A taped oral
                  history of
                  > his life would be good. How many have done your family history
                  prior to
                  > your parents death? Could even make an interesting history thesis
                  for a
                  > naval architect student. Wish I lived in the US. I would be on his
                  door in
                  > a flash.
                  >
                  > Mike

                • Jim Pope
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                    This weekend I had the opportunity to sit down and have a long talk with
                    Phil and Suzanne. The two of them are deeply involved in a development
                    which they can not talk about. It is important. And it will go on for at
                    least a little bit longer.

                    Phil is troubled as to whether or not he was morally correct to
                    undertake their effort considering that it would, as it obviously has,
                    mean the delaying of projects that had been properly promised to people.

                    When they are free to talk about it I am certain that most of the
                    members of the group will at least understand the reasons for delay.

                    This is not meant to be mysterious although I guess that is sort of has
                    to be. My purpose is to reassure all that he is not indifferent or
                    disdaining of the body of folk who have a sincere interest in their work.

                    Love, or Money, or Fear ? None of the above.

                    The work that they are on, in their opinion, is their moral obligation.

                    Jim

                  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                      All that has been said has a point but there are some of us that can
                      not get what we want in a bolger design but cone here to lurn about
                      building metheds. There are a lot in the group that will never build
                      a boat but are on the list so size of group and active people are two
                      things differently. It would be nice to see what he has done not lost
                      for the next generation.

                      Jon

                      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "oarmandt" <oarman89@...> wrote:

                      > I wonder if the issue isn't concern over possible theft of his
                      > intellectual property. The problems with Common Sense Designs must
                      > weigh heavily when they contemplate any new sales outlet or
                      collaboration.

                      > -- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kelk" <mikeboatman@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi All,
                      > >
                      > > I recently wrote to Phil with this very question. I asked if he
                      had
                      > a list
                      > > of designs or a catalogue. I told him I am a librarian gathering a
                      > list of
                      > > his designs from what I could find for my own reference and use.
                      > Even using
                      > > a national database, not all his published books are held in
                      > Australia. I
                      > > await his letter.
                      > >
                      > > I read in one of his posts to this site, that the job of getting
                      his
                      > > designs, with descriptions, on a Web site is enormous, but he
                      seemed
                      > to be
                      > > at least thinking on it. I live in Au but maybe someone near him
                      could
                      > > volunteer their time to Phil and take the task on. Maybe even a
                      little
                      > > group could be started. Many libraries rely on voluntary labour
                      to get
                      > > their photo collections in order. What we need is a total list of
                      > his work,
                      > > a knowledge of the whole lot and accessible. Maybe this group
                      could
                      > field
                      > > simple questions on designs on Phil's behalf. Orders snail mailed
                      > to Phil
                      > > with $ to help supply them. This yahoo group goes a long way
                      > towards that
                      > > but its structure is not great for gathering a sense of the whole.
                      > >
                      > > Just my view but well worth considering before his death. A
                      taped oral
                      > > history of each design would surely be sought by the nearest oral
                      > history
                      > > unit of the nearest State library (US equivalent). A taped oral
                      > history of
                      > > his life would be good. How many have done your family history
                      > prior to
                      > > your parents death? Could even make an interesting history thesis
                      > for a
                      > > naval architect student. Wish I lived in the US. I would be on
                      his
                      > door in
                      > > a flash.
                      > >
                      > > Mike

                    • graeme19121984
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:
                        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Kelk" <mikeboatman@>
                        > wrote:
                        > Also it would be great if he could get a sufficient income flow so
                        > he could travel to some of the places and actually sail there. I can
                        > think of Australia, NZ, - Tasmania for sure - and Alaska for the
                        > launching of Double Eagle and then back through Canada to see
                        > Windermere and Anenome hit the water. And get to a few messabouts as
                        > well if he felt like it and try some of the many designs he has not
                        > even seen in 3D let alone sailed.

                        The impresion I have is PCB is not want to physically travel much
                        anywheres else other than what seems to be his beloved "Down East"
                        region. "Resolution" was conceived to live aboard comfortably without
                        the requirement of getting about all over that much. He was in Germany
                        a few years ago though, and he'd get a big welcome in Oz I'm sure.
                        (Another designer of even greater inaccessability in the wilds of
                        Skye, Iain Oughtred (snail mail only), returned to Oz for the last
                        Wooden Boat Festival)

                        Graeme
                      • Nels
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
                          wrote:

                          > All that has been said has a point but there are some of us that can
                          > not get what we want in a bolger design but cone here to lurn about
                          > building metheds. There are a lot in the group that will never build
                          > a boat but are on the list so size of group and active people are
                          two
                          > things differently. It would be nice to see what he has done not
                          lost
                          > for the next generation.
                          >
                          > Jon

                          What concerns me is that it is being lost for the PRESENT generation.

                          But I guess the other designers just get the spinoff benefits of that
                          loss. And some newer ones are coming forward to fill the gap.

                          nels
                        • Puck III
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 27, 2006
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > All that has been said has a point but there are some of us that
                            can
                            > > not get what we want in a bolger design but cone here to lurn
                            about
                            > > building metheds. There are a lot in the group that will never
                            build
                            > > a boat but are on the list so size of group and active people are
                            > two
                            > > things differently. It would be nice to see what he has done not
                            > lost
                            > > for the next generation.
                            > >
                            > > Jon
                            >
                            > What concerns me is that it is being lost for the PRESENT
                            generation.

                            > But I guess the other designers just get the spinoff benefits of
                            that
                            > loss. And some newer ones are coming forward to fill the gap.
                            >
                            > nels
                            ==================
                            Nothing will be Lost !!!!
                            Sure my Favorite : the Sir Joseph Banks for Vanuatu
                            shows Phil's real Art : how to resolve a problem !
                            in a simple , to the point matter .

                            The Sir Joseph Banks , sure will receive much interest today !
                            Oil prices are not suposed to go down soon .
                            A Sailing Cargo for the development world !!!

                            In a way , that boat was designed for todays use .
                            Some should have started using that boat when it was designed.

                            How was it designed ??? With a smile !!!
                            Boatdesign must be FUN was and remains Phil's lesson .
                            Ahead of his time ???
                            Not with all boats , with some , sure HE was !!!

                            Cheers :-)
                            Old Ben
                          • Nels
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Puck III" <ben_azo@...> wrote:
                              > > What concerns me is that it is being lost for the PRESENT
                              > generation.
                              > >
                              > > But I guess the other designers just get the spinoff benefits of
                              > that
                              > > loss. And some newer ones are coming forward to fill the gap.
                              > >
                              > > nels
                              > ==================
                              > Nothing will be Lost !!!!

                              It's just that I feel there must be a lot of frustration for those
                              waiting over two years of their commission and still nothing. And
                              then there are others like myself who hesitate to bother them
                              further, since that would just create more delays.

                              Every good building day is lost - forever - and not to mention the
                              unbelievable jumps in cost of good building materials during the
                              past couple of years.

                              Nels
                            • Puck III
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                Nothing will be Lost !!!!
                                Sure my Favorite : the Sir Joseph Banks for Vanuatu
                                shows Phil's real Art : how to resolve a problem !
                                in a simple , to the point matter .

                                The Sir Joseph Banks , sure will receive much interest today !
                                Oil prices are not suposed to go down soon .
                                A Sailing Cargo for the development world !!!

                                In a way , that boat was designed for todays use .
                                Some should have started using that boat when it was designed.

                                How was it designed ??? With a smile !!!
                                Boatdesign must be FUN was and remains Phil's lesson .
                                Ahead of his time ???
                                Not with all boats , with some , sure HE was !!!

                                Cheers :-)
                                Old Ben
                                =================
                                Hi All, hi Nels , sorry for the correction , your post forces me
                                to repost what I wrote , nothing less , nothing more !!!

                                Cneers :-)
                                Old Ben
                                ==================
                                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:

                                > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Puck III" <ben_azo@> wrote:
                                > > > What concerns me is that it is being lost for the PRESENT
                                > > generation.
                                > > >
                                > > > But I guess the other designers just get the spinoff benefits
                                of
                                > > that
                                > > > loss. And some newer ones are coming forward to fill the gap.
                                > > >
                                > > > nels
                                > > ==================
                                > > Nothing will be Lost !!!!
                                >
                                > It's just that I feel there must be a lot of frustration for those
                                > waiting over two years of their commission and still nothing. And
                                > then there are others like myself who hesitate to bother them
                                > further, since that would just create more delays.
                                >
                                > Every good building day is lost - forever - and not to mention the
                                > unbelievable jumps in cost of good building materials during the
                                > past couple of years.
                                >
                                > Nels

                              • adventures_in_astrophotography
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                  Hi Nels,

                                  > It's just that I feel there must be a lot of frustration for those
                                  > waiting over two years of their commission and still nothing. And
                                  > then there are others like myself who hesitate to bother them
                                  > further, since that would just create more delays.

                                  If it were only just "over two years!" We've just passed the five
                                  year mark on Auriga, with no end in sight and no activity on the
                                  design that we are aware of for at least two years. It's especially
                                  frustrating to know that they've dropped everything to update
                                  existing designs for folks who contacted them years after we put our
                                  money down.

                                  > Every good building day is lost - forever - and not to mention the
                                  > unbelievable jumps in cost of good building materials during the
                                  > past couple of years.

                                  How true. Of course, I'm having fun building several small boats
                                  while waiting for our commission, but the dream of building Auriga
                                  while I'm still young enough to attempt a 50-footer working alone
                                  seems to slip ever farther away. The pain is doubled on those really
                                  bad days at work, especially when I try to imagine where I'd be in
                                  construction right now if the design had been completed in the
                                  promised 10-15 months.

                                  Jon Kolb
                                  http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm
                                • Nels
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
                                    <jon@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Nels,
                                    > If it were only just "over two years!" We've just passed the five
                                    > year mark on Auriga, with no end in sight and no activity on the
                                    > design that we are aware of for at least two years. It's especially
                                    > frustrating to know that they've dropped everything to update
                                    > existing designs for folks who contacted them years after we put our
                                    > money down.

                                    Yikes - has it been that long already? So I guess it has been almost
                                    three years since I enquired about Long Micro Navigator upgrades. I
                                    was told then they were too busy. Then about a year later when Jason
                                    Stancil enquired he was told it would be a good idea but nobody had
                                    asked. I just dropped following up on it as I knew there were others
                                    who had already invested in commissions and felt I could wait until
                                    they caught up. Now I realize I can forget it.

                                    Not much a person can do either. One could demand their money back but
                                    what good is that as the time lost cannot be replaced for any money.

                                    Very sad situation and no obvious solution that I can think of.

                                    Nels
                                  • Harry James
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006
                                      There is a whole separate issue, that of his letters. While drawing
                                      thousands of discarded designs and finishing 700 or so he has had a
                                      voluminous correspondence with his customers. Many of his designs have
                                      involved almost a books worth of letters.

                                      HJ

                                      Nels wrote:

                                      --snip--
                                      > I think that post is several years old now. The technology has
                                      > advanced tremedously. I would suggest that an archived site could be
                                      > set up quite quickly if a person was given access to be allowed to
                                      > gather the information together. Archivists are really adept at
                                      > stuff like that and do it for a lot of mundane stuff nobody will
                                      > ever be interested in.
                                      >
                                      > And he is such a great writer that some of it should be documented
                                      > as well. Almost every article he writes has an example of his
                                      > cutting wit.
                                      >
                                      > It would be interesting to do a documentary on his life too. Most
                                      > people are not even aware of what a living legend and genius he is.
                                      >
                                      > Also it would be great if he could get a sufficient income flow so
                                      > he could travel to some of the places and actually sail there. I can
                                      > think of Australia, NZ, - Tasmania for sure - and Alaska for the
                                      > launching of Double Eagle and then back through Canada to see
                                      > Windermere and Anenome hit the water. And get to a few messabouts as
                                      > well if he felt like it and try some of the many designs he has not
                                      > even seen in 3D let alone sailed.
                                      >
                                      > Nels

                                    • Nels
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 28, 2006

                                        > There is a whole separate issue, that of his letters. While
                                        drawing
                                        > thousands of discarded designs and finishing 700 or so he has had
                                        > voluminous correspondence with his customers. Many of his designs
                                        have
                                        > involved almost a books worth of letters.
                                        >
                                        > HJ

                                        Right you are Harry!

                                        His letters alone, are not just about boat design either, but cover
                                        an entire philosphy as well a historical period in American life and
                                        boating across time and borders.

                                        There could be a museum totally devoted to him and those whom he has
                                        associated with. And it would be of interest to a broad spectrum of
                                        the population. Of course there could be no better location than
                                        Glouster either.

                                        It is too bad we seem to have to wait until a person is gone to
                                        offer them the respect and recognition they should have been given
                                        when still living.

                                        I listened to a program on public radio where they had as guests two
                                        archivests responsible for saving and cataloging significant
                                        materials of all kinds for the province I reside in, and it was
                                        pretty obvious how interested they were in their work. Stuff most of
                                        us would find incredibley boring. And with present technology they
                                        have some great tools and expertise to save and enhance old photos
                                        and newspaper articles etc. They were being paid to do this from the
                                        public purse but I think would do it for nothing if they had to. Was
                                        quite a revelation for me.

                                        And like they said. What is happening today, is tomorrow's history.
                                        Why wait until a lot of it gets lost or damaged beyond recognition?

                                        Maybe we could get a grant from Bill Gates. He owes us a favor:-)

                                        Nels