Re: [bolger] Gunning Punt or Skiff

  • jazzlvr
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 6, 2006
      Here is another.
      http://www.lesjones.com/posts/000976.shtml
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: adventures_in_astrophotography
      To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 3:09 PM
      Subject: [bolger] Gunning Punt or Skiff

      This past weekend I completed a hunter education course, during which
      there was a section on the history of wildlife conservation and the
      evolution of game laws in this country. The instructor mentioned the
      long-ago practice of market hunting, in particular the use of what
      this group would know as a gunning punt or skiff with a fixed mount,
      very large bore shotgun. He's looking for photo of one of these to
      use in the course, and I volunteered during one of the breaks to try
      and dig one up for him.

      I know I've seen photos of these boats, since it's hard to forget
      those giant, cannon-like shotguns, but alas, I can find no photos at
      home. Chappelle shows several gunning boats in American Small
      Sailing Craft, but none of the descriptions indicate which of these
      used the large, fixed position guns. I suspect that Figure 49 in
      that book is one such boat, since it makes use of a scull from a semi-
      prone position to creep up on the flock, but I can't be sure. The
      practice is apparently still legal in the UK, and I've found some
      photos of a modern boat, but with a somewhat smaller gun that I
      recall.

      Does anyone in the group have photos, references to photos, or
      potential sources for photos of these boats, preferably showing the
      gun mounted? The ideal source would be a high enough resolution
      photo so that a large size could be printed for display in a class
      setting. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

      Jon Kolb
      http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm

      Bolger rules!!!

      Great outdoors

    • Bryant Owen
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 6, 2006
        The Barnagat Bay Sneakbox originated as a gunning skiff. I also recall
        something about a gunning skiff at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum.
        See also http://www.wildfowling.com/puntgun.htm for some links.

        As for the gun. I rented "Tremors 4" this weekend for some unknown
        reason. Rent it but don't pay much attention to the story until about
        3/4 of the way through the movie when Michael Gross shows up in a
        wagon with a percussion cap Punt gun that they're going to use to
        shoot "earth dragons". Check it out here
        http://www.thelegendbegins.com/weapons_of_tremors4.html#punt

        Bryant

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "adventures_in_astrophotography"
        <jon@...> wrote:

        > This past weekend I completed a hunter education course, during which
        > there was a section on the history of wildlife conservation and the
        > evolution of game laws in this country. The instructor mentioned the
        > long-ago practice of market hunting, in particular the use of what
        > this group would know as a gunning punt or skiff with a fixed mount,
        > very large bore shotgun. He's looking for photo of one of these to
        > use in the course, and I volunteered during one of the breaks to try
        > and dig one up for him.
        >
        > I know I've seen photos of these boats, since it's hard to forget
        > those giant, cannon-like shotguns, but alas, I can find no photos at
        > home. Chappelle shows several gunning boats in American Small
        > Sailing Craft, but none of the descriptions indicate which of these
        > used the large, fixed position guns. I suspect that Figure 49 in
        > that book is one such boat, since it makes use of a scull from a semi-
        > prone position to creep up on the flock, but I can't be sure. The
        > practice is apparently still legal in the UK, and I've found some
        > photos of a modern boat, but with a somewhat smaller gun that I
        > recall.
        >
        > Does anyone in the group have photos, references to photos, or
        > potential sources for photos of these boats, preferably showing the
        > gun mounted? The ideal source would be a high enough resolution
        > photo so that a large size could be printed for display in a class
        > setting. Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.
        >
        > Jon Kolb
        > http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm

      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/seaside_1915.jpg

          Genuine punt gun, not movie prop, though maybe on the small side.

          The seaside bateau (Chapelle's "Sinepuxent Skiff") was not a typical
          gunning boat. This is someone's modification.
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
        • adventures_in_astrophotography
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
            Many thanks to all who responded to my request for gunning punt
            photos. Some of the links were new to me and were helpful. I also was
            able to order a book called the "The Outlaw Hunters" on this subject,
            and it claims to have over 150 historical photos of market hunters and
            their gear.

            Amongst all of this information, I'm sure I'll be able to find
            something for the DOW to use in their classes.

            Thanks again!

            Jon Kolb
            http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm
          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
              > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/seaside_1915.jpg

              Not being hunter, it's not clear how it would be used. Does paddle
              toward a flock of sitting waterfowl, and fire when they startle into
              the air with the notion of cutting down a swath o'ducks (or geese)?

              I can imagine it's a pretty impressive effect when viewed from within
              the boat.
            • David
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                As I remember, in Michener's "Chesapeake", there's a pretty good
                depiction of this sort of hunting. Sounded impressively effective when
                it came to slaughtering large quantities of waterfowl. After a while
                they became illegal because they were so efficient. Some folks kept on
                using them illicitly, but I "think" they're all gone now. No more huge
                rafts of ducks & geese to mow through, I'd imagine. More population
                density, and better enforcement would make clandestine poaching much
                more difficult, I'd think. Any Cheasapeake folks that can comment?

                On the West Coast, we had some of the same dynamic - esp. when it came
                to Salmon. They used to set such huge gillnets that they couldn't be
                retrieved by hand - even with the use of winches. They used to sail
                teams of draft horses out to the big sand bars in the middle of the
                Columbia River to haul the nets in.

                I'm afraid the days of such plentiful game are gone - likely for a
                long time, if not forever. It appears as if too much human population -
                and the various impacts that spring therefrom - has made a resurgence
                difficult, if not impossible.

                David Graybeal
                Portland, OR.

                "And remember, where you have a concentration of power in a few hands,
                all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control.
                History has proven: all power corrupts, absolute power corrupts
                absolutely" -- Lord Acton

                ****************

                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                  > they're all gone now. No more

                  That is how I feel about the good wood that used to be available for
                  boatbuilding.

                  Heck, the pieces of 1954 2x4 wood that I cut out of the back wall of
                  my garage [poking a hole for my Topaz] was nice vertical grain old
                  growth Doug Fir.
                • John and Kathy Trussell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                    As I understand it, the technique was to dump a line of corn in the water.
                    The next morning, the ducks would be lined up feeding on the corn. The
                    hunter would ease his boat around to the end of the line, whistle (causing
                    the ducks to raise their heads), and fire either a punt gun or a "battery
                    gun" (consisting of several barrels more or less aligned). Done right, this
                    would allow the hunter to kill 50-100birds. For what it is worth, this is
                    supposed to be the origin of the expression, "Getting your ducks in a row".

                    Ducks slaughtered in this manner where normally canvas backs and were sold
                    to resteraunts in Baltimore. Our ancester's habits and loss of habitat
                    greatly reduced the population of ducks. Today, long lining and massive
                    gillnets are doing the same thing to many species of fish. In another
                    couple of generations, I guess we'll all be eating tofu and algae!

                    John T
                    > Not being hunter, it's not clear how it would be used. Does paddle
                    > toward a flock of sitting waterfowl, and fire when they startle into
                    > the air with the notion of cutting down a swath o'ducks (or geese)?
                    >
                    > I can imagine it's a pretty impressive effect when viewed from within
                    > the boat.

                    > horses
                    > (978) 282-1349
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >

                    > --

                  • derbyrm
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                      or each other

                      Roger
                      derbyrm@...
                      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                      > In another couple of generations, I guess we'll all be eating
                      > tofu and algae!
                      >
                      > John T
                    • craig o'donnell
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006

                        >><http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/seaside_1915.jpg>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fassitt/seaside_1915.jpg
                        >
                        >Not being hunter, it's not clear how it would be used. Does paddle
                        >toward a flock of sitting waterfowl, and fire when they startle into
                        >the air with the notion of cutting down a swath o'ducks (or geese)?
                        >
                        >I can imagine it's a pretty impressive effect when viewed from within
                        >the boat.

                        Scull out the rear or use a very short paddle. Paddle quietly. Do it at
                        night. Shoot at the birds on the water.

                        >YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        Craig O'Donnell
                        Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats
                        Plywood Boats, Bamboo Rafts, &c.
                      • Phil Smith
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 7, 2006
                          I was taught, when I was becoming a Hunter Safety Instructor, that the modus operendi was to scull out quietly to the resting flock. Once you were in position you spook the flock so that as they rise more ducks present themselves to the cone of pellets.

                          Shooting them on the water as they sit reaquires a Maxim silencer. See the quite enjoyable, "Me, The Boy and the Cat" which is the story of a man and his son and a cat and a cat BOAT sailing south from New Bedford ahead of winter.

                          Phil Smith