Re: Diablo builders. 15 year report

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
      > If it were me, I would jump at the excuse to build another boat.

      Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
      work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light for
      good fishing! The 18 footer would require I purchase a new trailer, so
      that is out of the budget right now.

      My current project is assembling a Sailrite Kit for my old Enterprise
      dinghy. They really do a wonderful job with their kits and it is
      fairly foolproof. You can really see how shape is built in to the sail
      through the broadseams.

      David Jost
      "suffering from builder's itch"
    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
        I'd take your current trailer to a welding shop and see what they can do for you. I'll bet that they can fix you up for $100 or so. That's a lot less expensive than a new trailer.

        Phil Smith

        > If it were me, I would jump at the excuse to build another boat.

        Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
        work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light for
        good fishing! The 18 footer would require I purchase a new trailer, so
        that is out of the budget right now.

        My current project is assembling a Sailrite Kit for my old Enterprise
        dinghy. They really do a wonderful job with their kits and it is
        fairly foolproof. You can really see how shape is built in to the sail
        through the broadseams.

        David Jost
        "suffering from builder's itch"

        Bolger rules!!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • adventures_in_astrophotography
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
          Hi David,

          > Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
          > work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light
          for
          > good fishing!

          Can you elaborate on your complaint about Diablo when fishing? I'm
          building one now - for fishing - and would appreciate hearing about
          your experiences.

          Jon Kolb
          http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm
        • echo172@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
            What bolger number is the work skiff? I'm considerring a diablo for ease of building while I work on a long term lapstrake project. At this point diablo seems like a quick build but if you have a better choice, please advise.
            Thank You,
            Bruce in NJ
            > > Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
            > > work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light
            > for
            > > good fishing!

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

              > What bolger number is the work skiff? I'm considerring a diablo for
              ease of building while I work on a long term lapstrake project. At
              this point diablo seems like a quick build but if you have a better
              choice, please advise.
              > Thank You,
              > Bruce in NJ

              Not sure of the plan number, but they are available here for $35:

              http://www.instantboats.com/boats.html

              Nels