Diablo builders. 15 year report

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
      I am now forced to retire or refurbish my Dialbo that is actually
      now 20 years old (refitted with new bottom and transom 15 years ago,
      don't use luan! )

      I now have serious rot issues port and starboard right at the
      midship points below the top rails just forward of the plywood
      butt. This has been caused by rainwater seeping beneath the
      fiberglass sheathing that was installed as a final step.

      this could have been avoided had I fiberglassed prior to installing
      the rails! So...file that one away in the instant boat files. If
      you are planning of glassing, do it before the rails. Once water
      gets into this area, it won't thoroughly dry and will promote rot
      and delamination.

      As much as I would like to replace it with a 15' 6" workskiff, I
      will probably grab the epoxy, glass, and release film and get
      another couple of years out of her.

      Keep these boats painted and dry!

      David Jost
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
        On 2/5/06, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:
        > I am now forced to retire or refurbish my Dialbo that is actually
        > now 20 years old (refitted with new bottom and transom 15 years ago,
        > don't use luan! )

        20 years old for a backyard plywood boat, that is not bad. Consider
        also the possibility that luan has gotten better, and domestic plywood
        worse in the last two decades. That is my impression at least.

        > get another couple of years out of her.

        If it were me, I would jump at the excuse to build another boat.

        <grin>
      • dnjost
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
          > If it were me, I would jump at the excuse to build another boat.

          Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
          work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light for
          good fishing! The 18 footer would require I purchase a new trailer, so
          that is out of the budget right now.

          My current project is assembling a Sailrite Kit for my old Enterprise
          dinghy. They really do a wonderful job with their kits and it is
          fairly foolproof. You can really see how shape is built in to the sail
          through the broadseams.

          David Jost
          "suffering from builder's itch"
        • Phil Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
            I'd take your current trailer to a welding shop and see what they can do for you. I'll bet that they can fix you up for $100 or so. That's a lot less expensive than a new trailer.

            Phil Smith

            > If it were me, I would jump at the excuse to build another boat.

            Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
            work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light for
            good fishing! The 18 footer would require I purchase a new trailer, so
            that is out of the budget right now.

            My current project is assembling a Sailrite Kit for my old Enterprise
            dinghy. They really do a wonderful job with their kits and it is
            fairly foolproof. You can really see how shape is built in to the sail
            through the broadseams.

            David Jost
            "suffering from builder's itch"

            Bolger rules!!!
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • adventures_in_astrophotography
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2006
              Hi David,

              > Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
              > work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light
              for
              > good fishing!

              Can you elaborate on your complaint about Diablo when fishing? I'm
              building one now - for fishing - and would appreciate hearing about
              your experiences.

              Jon Kolb
              http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm
            • echo172@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
                What bolger number is the work skiff? I'm considerring a diablo for ease of building while I work on a long term lapstrake project. At this point diablo seems like a quick build but if you have a better choice, please advise.
                Thank You,
                Bruce in NJ
                > > Well, yes. I think that a suitable replacement would the the 15'6"
                > > work skiff. My one complaint about Diablo is that it is too light
                > for
                > > good fishing!

              • Nels
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 9, 2006
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

                  > What bolger number is the work skiff? I'm considerring a diablo for
                  ease of building while I work on a long term lapstrake project. At
                  this point diablo seems like a quick build but if you have a better
                  choice, please advise.
                  > Thank You,
                  > Bruce in NJ

                  Not sure of the plan number, but they are available here for $35:

                  http://www.instantboats.com/boats.html

                  Nels