RE: [bolger] Re: Windermere Seaworthyness (Coastal Cruising)

  • eric green
    Message 1 of 52 , Feb 4, 2006
      Peter,

      You may have been asked this before, but I cannot find it. How many hours do
      you estimate it will take you to finish the boat? How many $$$ (if this is
      not too personal)? What % complete are you at this date?

      Eric

      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 26, 2006
        Can you tell me about the topaz?

        Topaz is a design sold by Phil Bolger, essentially a shallow draft
        double ended outboard runabout, mostly out of plywood.

        I think that three have been built in the 'enclosed cabin' version,
        and I am the first to build in the 'open runabout' version. I think
        it could be built with MDO plywood, (without fiberglass), making it
        somewhat 'disposable', but with a boat this big (31ft) there is some
        justification towards spending the $/time to build it more
        substantially w/plywood/epoxy/fiberglass composite.

        Some photos of a Topaz build here:

        http://journeyboats.com/photo_journal.htm

        I used a different quicker technique for the bottom build, with no
        'table', Silicon Bronze nails instead of screws, and I was happy with
        the time saved.

        Presently, I am partially done, doing interior fitout (most recently,
        the 'faux-teak' floorboard planking between the seats and in the
        cockpit) plus painting of the underseat compartments. Two weeks ago,
        I installed the narrow curved midship top deck strake (20ft x 6"
        tilted and curved), for which I used Free!ship to calculate the
        layout. Handy software!