Chinese gaffer

  • stuart crawford
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 4 11:28 AM
      DonB or anyone else who has experience using the Chinese gaff rig on
      Navigator.

      All theory aside, how do you find the rig in practice? What conditions do
      you find it most suitable for?

      Stuart Crawford.
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 4 6:50 PM
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, stuart crawford <scrawford@...> wrote:

        > DonB or anyone else who has experience using the Chinese gaff rig on
        > Navigator.
        >
        > All theory aside, how do you find the rig in practice? What
        conditions do
        > you find it most suitable for?
        >
        > Stuart Crawford.

        Hi Stuart,
        How is your Cynthia J?
        The Navigator was designed by Bolger, so an Aussie Micro owner could
        convert his Micro into an ocean cruiser, hopping from port to port
        around Australia, which would require quite a seaworthy boat and rig.
        I don't know of any builder so far who has done more than daysailing
        or short cruises in sheltered waters. I have not been out in more than
        marginal reefing breezes. And the set of the sails on my website is a
        cringe. My excuse is, that it was the first sail, and rigging took an
        age, leaving little time to sail before the tide went out again.
        Sitting in mud for a day was not on my wishlist. But I do have some
        opinions.
        The rig was designed for reefing without the need to go outside, at
        sea. Really, it is normal jiffy reefing with the lines leading inside,
        with full length battens and jaws to help keep it all under control.
        Then mainsail sheetlets sheeted to the mizzen mast to sit the mainsail
        leech up for efficient windward sailing. And the rig is very competent
        for windward sailing, at least in light to moderate conditions.
        However it does have potential vulnerabilities in my opinion, in heavy
        adverse conditions. For example, turning from 'on the wind' to a broad
        reach or run, you have to remember to let go and reset the main leech
        sheetlets as well as the mainsheet. If you forgot to do so, and were
        hit by a strong gust,wild rolling and gear breakage would be a strong
        possibility. The jaws bolted to the mainsail luff could easily be
        broken, as could the battens.
        The rope in the rig is a nightmare until both masts and sails are
        erected and in place. What looks simple viewed on the sailplan is a
        cats cradle when the masts and sails are laid out on deck. It is so
        easy to get one wrong, around something else or hooked up as you lift
        the mast in place. Twice I have had to take the whole thing down again
        because of one small problem. Both masts and sails are interconnected
        with ropes, and EVERYTHING needs to be in place before anything can be
        erected. You need a Boeing 747 checklist!
        The ropes are also everywhere when you are not sailing. Once in place
        correctly however, everything looks after itself quite well when
        sailing and gybing, with the exception of extra watching and handling
        as said above. I did have one of the sheetlets hook around the aft
        corner of the cabin roof overhang, but luckily just while swinging on
        the mooring. If it happened in anger, perhaps the roof could be lifted!
        Bruce and Dereck will know better, but I would not like to trailer
        this boat, just for short sailing, because of the rig complexity. In
        fact I'm thinking I will try it without the connecting string.
        Basically, I think the rig is over complex for casual sailing, and
        possibly not that seamanlike for ocean work, as the owner of Alert
        found. The rig is great for someone who loves tinkering and playing
        about with setups and improvements. If I were starting over, Jason's
        overlarge balanced lug, or the chinese lug on the Birdwatcher featured
        in Duckworks magazine are better rigs for simple casual sailing. Big
        for speed, and much easier to reef as soon as needed. Combined with
        Jason's swing mast, a very sensible combo.
        I feel the Chinese Gaff rig is better in theory than in practice.
        Cheers,
        Don
        http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/
      • stuart crawford
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 5 4:07 AM
          Hi Don,

          Thank you for such a detailed response, it was most informative.

          As to my Cynthia J. Nothing much has happened in about four years due to
          various changes in personal circumstances, starting with moving from the
          house I was building it in. After treating all of the Kaihikatea and red
          beech framing with clear metalex, I moved it into an open shed for storage,
          with the help of an experienced rigger. Unfortunately when lifting it of the
          back of a truck with a front end loader it fell from the height of about
          eight feet, onto a hard gravel yard and cracked the bottom frame in the
          bulkhead, at entrance to cuddy. After a couple of years and another move I
          put it into an insulated shipping container. Currently I am in the process
          of relocating to Dunedin, hopefully in the next two or three months, where I
          intend on repairing the damage and finishing building her.

          Stuart Crawford.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5 9:04 AM
            > cracked the bottom frame in the bulkhead,

            I certainly understand how 'real life' can delay things,
            and how a setback like a cracked frame can be
            discouraging.

            I bet that you will find that the time you can spend
            agonizing over a problem like a cracked frame can
            exceed the actual time it takes to cut it out and
            fix it by a factor of ten. I am presumptuous to offer
            advice but , I say, take a deep breath, get out the
            Sawsall and some epoxy, and just go at it.
          • stuart crawford
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5 12:09 PM
              The actual repair won't take that long once I start it, but at present the
              hull is 130 kilometers from where I am living and the hull is in a 20 foot
              container packed with other stuff unrelated to the boat. My plan when I move
              is to set up somewhere that I can work on it.

              I am no longer in a position to work on it in the lounge, as I was when I
              built the hull. My other half just doesn't seem to understand what a well
              suited building space it is.

              Stuart Crawford.

              > From: Bruce Hallman <bruce@...>
              > Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:04:59 -0800
              > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Chinese gaffer
              >
              >> cracked the bottom frame in the bulkhead,
              >
              > I certainly understand how 'real life' can delay things,
              > and how a setback like a cracked frame can be
              > discouraging.
              >
              > I bet that you will find that the time you can spend
              > agonizing over a problem like a cracked frame can
              > exceed the actual time it takes to cut it out and
              > fix it by a factor of ten. I am presumptuous to offer
              > advice but , I say, take a deep breath, get out the
              > Sawsall and some epoxy, and just go at it.

              > (978) 282-1349
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • dbaldnz
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5 5:50 PM
                Women can be cruel and heartless at times!
                Good luck with CJ, and looking forward to hearing of your cruises on
                the lakes,
                Don

                > I am no longer in a position to work on it in the lounge, as I was
                when I
                > built the hull. My other half just doesn't seem to understand what a
                well
                > suited building space it is.
                >
                > Stuart Crawford.
                >
                > > From: Bruce Hallman <bruce@...>
                > > Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:04:59 -0800
                > > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                > > Subject: Re: [bolger] Re: Chinese gaffer
                > >
                > >> cracked the bottom frame in the bulkhead,
                > >
                > > I certainly understand how 'real life' can delay things,
                > > and how a setback like a cracked frame can be
                > > discouraging.
                > >
                > > I bet that you will find that the time you can spend
                > > agonizing over a problem like a cracked frame can
                > > exceed the actual time it takes to cut it out and
                > > fix it by a factor of ten. I am presumptuous to offer
                > > advice but , I say, take a deep breath, get out the
                > > Sawsall and some epoxy, and just go at it.
                > >

                > > Bolger rules!!!
                > > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging
                dead horses
                > > - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred'
                posts
                > > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA,
                01930, Fax:
                > > (978) 282-1349
                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Jason Stancil
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 5 8:31 PM
                  If I were starting over, Jason's
                  > overlarge balanced lug, or the chinese lug on the Birdwatcher
                  featured in Duckworks magazine are better rigs for simple casual
                  sailing. Big for speed, and much easier to reef as soon as needed.
                  Combined with Jason's swing mast, a very sensible combo.

                  Hey! Sensible i'm not. Just returned from SE Asia after being away
                  for a while....heading up to WV to pick up my boat and trailer it to
                  Beaufort, NC for a week long cruise. I'll post a bunch of pics of
                  the ordeal for those who asked for more pics a week or so
                  ago.....sorry i was separated from camera/laptop & reliable
                  internet. I've found that big lug really managable. With some jiffy
                  reef tinkering i don't believe i'd even have to slide the hatch open
                  for anything....that said, i never close the hatch. My only beef
                  with the set up is either my rudder needs to be stretched 2' with a
                  bit more endplate and/or the tiller needs to be longer. I tend to
                  oversteer at speed and loose steerage way when ghosting. I'll test
                  it in some 1 to 20+ knot winds on this little trip and decide what
                  to do.

                  Jason
                  PS: i got it down to taking 120 seconds to get the mast up and
                  pinned, yard up, tack down and sheet set.
                • dbaldnz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 5 8:36 PM
                    > Jason
                    > PS: i got it down to taking 120 seconds to get the mast up and
                    > pinned, yard up, tack down and sheet set.
                    I'm eating my heart out Jason! Looking forward to your new report,
                    Don
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 6 6:26 AM
                      > All theory aside, how do you find the rig in practice? What conditions do
                      > you find it most suitable for?
                      >
                      > Stuart Crawford.

                      I like the rig. The biggest single reason for the rig is to provide
                      a positive, safe, way to reef, and unreef the sail from the
                      safety of the cockpit. I also like that none of the lines are
                      under high tension.

                      The total number of lines isn't that hard to learn and use.
                      It does take close to an hour to set up after stepping the mast,
                      so using it on a trailer sailer involves work.
                    • Peter Lenihan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6 10:20 AM
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@...> wrote:
                        > Go to this link and click on 'other bolger boats'
                        > http://oink.kiwiwebhost.biz/
                        > DonB

                        Hi Don,

                        Just a quicky to say how much I've enjoyed looking over your web
                        page! It had been a while since I last looked and boy do I ever regret
                        not checking it more often/sooner! Absolutely fantastic photos of OINK
                        sailing in what has got to be the bluest water I've ever seen on the
                        net :-D

                        Thanks for the eye candy treat !

                        Sincerely,

                        Peter Lenihan,snow bound,again,but loving the thought of green shores
                        and blue waters ever more...........
                      • dbaldnz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 6 8:14 PM
                          Nice to hear from you Peter.
                          Won't belong before the good ship Windermere is yo hoing acros the
                          Great lakes,
                          Cheers,
                          Don
                          > Hi Don,
                          >
                          > Just a quicky to say how much I've enjoyed looking over your web
                          > page! It had been a while since I last looked and boy do I ever regret
                          > not checking it more often/sooner! Absolutely fantastic photos of OINK
                          > sailing in what has got to be the bluest water I've ever seen on the
                          > net :-D
                          >
                          > Thanks for the eye candy treat !
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          >
                          > Peter Lenihan,snow bound,again,but loving the thought of green shores
                          > and blue waters ever more...........

                        • Peter Lenihan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 8 2:45 AM
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dbaldnz" <oink@...> wrote:

                            > Nice to hear from you Peter.
                            > Won't belong before the good ship Windermere is yo hoing acros the
                            > Great lakes,
                            > Cheers,
                            > Don

                            Don,
                            With any kind of luck she should be in the water by mid-summer. I
                            got a chuckle from your "yo hoing" notion! (Vis. "Yo! Hoe! How
                            much?")
                            Trashy humour from over exposure to my American cousins to the South
                            of me <:-) Perhaps it doesn't work in the antipodes..........

                            Hope all is well and that summer is treating you and OINK with fair
                            winds and bright blue skyes galore!

                            Sincerely,

                            Peter Lenihan, who can only dream of summer for the time being but
                            is encouraged by the ever lenghtening days of light making their
                            presence felt more and more along the shores of the bone cold
                            St.Lawrence..........
                          • dbaldnz
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 8 10:51 PM
                              > Don,
                              > With any kind of luck she should be in the water by mid-summer. I
                              > got a chuckle from your "yo hoing" notion! (Vis. "Yo! Hoe! How
                              > much?")
                              > Trashy humour from over exposure to my American cousins to the South
                              > of me <:-) Perhaps it doesn't work in the antipodes..........
                              >
                              > Hope all is well and that summer is treating you and OINK with fair
                              > winds and bright blue skyes galore!
                              >
                              > Sincerely,
                              >
                              > Peter Lenihan, who can only dream of summer for the time being but
                              > is encouraged by the ever lenghtening days of light making their
                              > presence felt more and more along the shores of the bone cold
                              > St.Lawrence..........

                              Peter, probably much like "Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum".
                              I have a nice bottle of red stowed away, and when we see the first
                              picture of a wet bottomed Windermere (and builder), it's going to pop
                              it's top!
                              Cheers,
                              Don