Re: [bolger] Model materials?

  • James Greene
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3 5:40 PM
      Try using veneer or door skin plywood.

      James Greene

      On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:23:34 -0000, sals_dad wrote:
      > Hello all -
      >
      > I'd like to do a 1/4 scale model (of an Atkin design - Shoals Runner
      > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/ShoalsRunner.html -
      > sorry it's not Bolger!) using 1/2 inch ply for frames, with some
      > kind of "plywood" for the hull panels. I hope to build a variation
      > of this design in aluminum, but there are a thousand details to work
      > out.
      >
      > Last year I made a model of Rescue Minor http://www.boat-
      > links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html using 1/8 masonite.
      > The masonite didn't do very well on the tight bends, can't be
      > fastened near the edges, and is ugly.
      >
      > What is needed is a bendable sheet material, which can be fastened
      > with drywall screws, as well as duct tape (temporary) and glue
      > (permanent). It would be nice if it looks good, or will take paint,
      > as with a few minutes extra attention the model will make a nice
      > book-case, perhaps even provide a visual aid in selling the project
      > to "she whose whim is law".
      >
      > Any suggestions would be appreciated!
      >
      > Curtis

      > dead horses
      > Fax: (978) 282-1349
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • James Greene
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3 6:17 PM
        > Last year I made a model of Rescue Minor ...

        ... and the pictures of your model are online where?

        James Greene
      • John Kohnen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5 8:33 PM
          Sounds like a perfect use for el-cheapo lauan 1/8" (less than that
          really), often sold as "doorskins" at your local home improvement store.
          It's better quality than the 1/4" lauan we use for full-size boats and
          should take the bends OK. For a 1/4 size model (about 5 1/2 feet long)
          3/8" ply would probably be just fine for the frames. Why didn't you show
          us the Rescue Minor model? Was it too much of a disaster? <g>

          On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:23:34 -0800, Curtis wrote:

          > Hello all -
          >
          > I'd like to do a 1/4 scale model (of an Atkin design - Shoals Runner
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/ShoalsRunner.html -
          > sorry it's not Bolger!) using 1/2 inch ply for frames, with some
          > kind of "plywood" for the hull panels. I hope to build a variation
          > of this design in aluminum, but there are a thousand details to work
          > out.

          John <jkohnen@...>
          It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
          <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>