Model materials?

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3 11:23 AM
      Hello all -

      I'd like to do a 1/4 scale model (of an Atkin design - Shoals Runner
      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/ShoalsRunner.html -
      sorry it's not Bolger!) using 1/2 inch ply for frames, with some
      kind of "plywood" for the hull panels. I hope to build a variation
      of this design in aluminum, but there are a thousand details to work
      out.

      Last year I made a model of Rescue Minor http://www.boat-
      links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html using 1/8 masonite.
      The masonite didn't do very well on the tight bends, can't be
      fastened near the edges, and is ugly.

      What is needed is a bendable sheet material, which can be fastened
      with drywall screws, as well as duct tape (temporary) and glue
      (permanent). It would be nice if it looks good, or will take paint,
      as with a few minutes extra attention the model will make a nice
      book-case, perhaps even provide a visual aid in selling the project
      to "she whose whim is law".

      Any suggestions would be appreciated!

      Curtis
    • James Greene
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3 5:40 PM
        Try using veneer or door skin plywood.

        James Greene

        On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:23:34 -0000, sals_dad wrote:
        > Hello all -
        >
        > I'd like to do a 1/4 scale model (of an Atkin design - Shoals Runner
        > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/ShoalsRunner.html -
        > sorry it's not Bolger!) using 1/2 inch ply for frames, with some
        > kind of "plywood" for the hull panels. I hope to build a variation
        > of this design in aluminum, but there are a thousand details to work
        > out.
        >
        > Last year I made a model of Rescue Minor http://www.boat-
        > links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/RescueMinor.html using 1/8 masonite.
        > The masonite didn't do very well on the tight bends, can't be
        > fastened near the edges, and is ugly.
        >
        > What is needed is a bendable sheet material, which can be fastened
        > with drywall screws, as well as duct tape (temporary) and glue
        > (permanent). It would be nice if it looks good, or will take paint,
        > as with a few minutes extra attention the model will make a nice
        > book-case, perhaps even provide a visual aid in selling the project
        > to "she whose whim is law".
        >
        > Any suggestions would be appreciated!
        >
        > Curtis

        > dead horses
        > Fax: (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Greene
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3 6:17 PM
          > Last year I made a model of Rescue Minor ...

          ... and the pictures of your model are online where?

          James Greene
        • John Kohnen
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5 8:33 PM
            Sounds like a perfect use for el-cheapo lauan 1/8" (less than that
            really), often sold as "doorskins" at your local home improvement store.
            It's better quality than the 1/4" lauan we use for full-size boats and
            should take the bends OK. For a 1/4 size model (about 5 1/2 feet long)
            3/8" ply would probably be just fine for the frames. Why didn't you show
            us the Rescue Minor model? Was it too much of a disaster? <g>

            On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:23:34 -0800, Curtis wrote:

            > Hello all -
            >
            > I'd like to do a 1/4 scale model (of an Atkin design - Shoals Runner
            > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/ShoalsRunner.html -
            > sorry it's not Bolger!) using 1/2 inch ply for frames, with some
            > kind of "plywood" for the hull panels. I hope to build a variation
            > of this design in aluminum, but there are a thousand details to work
            > out.

            John <jkohnen@...>
            It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
            <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>