Re: Long Micro materials and costs

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 2, 2006
      Chris and Larry,
      First off, I misquoted the price for lead. I found a place selling
      wheel weights for .15/ lb. I simply searched the internet (there are
      various pages which list scrap metal suppliers, and the types of
      metals they deal in). I called two and was happy with what I heard.
      I visited M&K and looked at their lead supply. They had a 55 gallon
      drum full of wheel weights, another drum full of small lead scraps,
      and a third pile of large lead pieces (which I had hoped might be cut
      to shape- but alas nothing was that promising). Very nice people.
      Chris, M&K is in the NW corner of Ohio, so it's close to Illinois
      (well, northern Illinois that is).

      Here are the quotes, addresses, and phone numbers for the two places I
      contacted:

      M & K Metal Processors, Inc.
      P.O. Box 65
      Delta, Ohio 43515-0065
      Fulton
      Phone: (419) 822-5188
      Fax: (419) 822-5190
      .20/lb for lead, .15/lb for wheel weights.
      550 lbs = no problem.

      Variety Recycling
      130 Crystal Avenue
      Findlay, Ohio 45840
      County: Hancock
      Phone: (419) 422-4441
      .20/lb for lead.

      Hope this helps. Leave some lead for me.
      Bill in Ohio

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "chrisbfeller" <chrisbfeller@...> wrote:

      > Bill,
      > I am qurious where you found the lead. That price seems very
      > good to me. I am in Illinois and would make the trip to Ohio to get
      > that price.
      >
      > Chris Feller
    • dir_cobb
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 30, 2010
        Toad

        I have not built a LM. My Oldshoe was my first project and I built it with nothing but the plans and the instructions which came with them. I built over 7 months and had little help.

        I have since bought many books, various sets of plans, built a couple of smaller boats and even a wooden model of the light schooner.

        I would agree with anyone who suggests building models of big boats before going full scale to make sure one fully understands what is going to happen (and what it will really look like).

        I believe I would have made a few less mistakes with Oldshoe if I had read everything I have since before building. However, I'm not sure I would ever have got round to building her at all.

        My personal concern with Micro and Long Micro was the lead slug for the keel. Oldshoe at 200lbs easier. I had someone else fill it for me, but it wasn't impossibly difficult.

        If you are a competent carpenter, I would not worry too much about starting with LM. If you are not, I would start with any one of the original type of instant boats as a primer. The bigger boats have stiffer materials but less pronounced curves.

        My feeling is that Payson is right when he says that mistakes which look terrible on the model don't show at all on the real thing. I have fiddled more with Nymph than I did with Oldshoe, although I spent more time on and got a lot more boat from Oldshoe.

        David
        Santiago, Chile