Re: Long Micro materials and costs

  • William King
    Message 1 of 48 , Feb 1, 2006
      Nels,
      I did not include the cost of the plans, nor the lead. I have found lead
      out here for $.25/lb (thus about $133 total).
      I have not priced out safety equipment, nor cushions, etc. I have had various
      thoughts about a dingy, none of which have been especially satisfying. Maybe
      lash all my empty epoxy containers together and float ashore.

      I was planning on borrowing a flat equipment trailer, hauling my LM to a marina
      and having it slung into Lake Erie. I'll keep it in the water during the
      season, and
      thus avoid buying a trailer for now.

      I will keep you posted on my progress, since building is the fun part.

      Bill, in Ohio

      Hi Bill,

      >I have added that list to the Long Micro Folder at Bolger6
      >
      >I estimated the cost of a motor at $750, which is the cheapest 5 HP
      >4-stroke. (Briggs and Stratton). The sails from Duckworks at
      >$1300.00 and a trailer at $1500.0 (Single axle without brakes.)
      >
      >So that brings the total to $6650.00 so far. Did you include the
      >cost of the plans and the lead keel?
      >
      >Also you will need a radio, a GPS, compass, flares and other safety
      >gear plus finishing off the galley, bunk cushions, and porta potti.
      >Dingy?
      >
      >So I am thinking it will still come in under 10 grand altogether,
      >but maybe not a lot under. 10 K was my ball-park figure. More if one
      >goes for the Navigator version.
      >
      >(I can see Bruce building one for maybe 2 grand at most;-)
      >
      >Nels
    • dir_cobb
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 30, 2010
        Toad

        I have not built a LM. My Oldshoe was my first project and I built it with nothing but the plans and the instructions which came with them. I built over 7 months and had little help.

        I have since bought many books, various sets of plans, built a couple of smaller boats and even a wooden model of the light schooner.

        I would agree with anyone who suggests building models of big boats before going full scale to make sure one fully understands what is going to happen (and what it will really look like).

        I believe I would have made a few less mistakes with Oldshoe if I had read everything I have since before building. However, I'm not sure I would ever have got round to building her at all.

        My personal concern with Micro and Long Micro was the lead slug for the keel. Oldshoe at 200lbs easier. I had someone else fill it for me, but it wasn't impossibly difficult.

        If you are a competent carpenter, I would not worry too much about starting with LM. If you are not, I would start with any one of the original type of instant boats as a primer. The bigger boats have stiffer materials but less pronounced curves.

        My feeling is that Payson is right when he says that mistakes which look terrible on the model don't show at all on the real thing. I have fiddled more with Nymph than I did with Oldshoe, although I spent more time on and got a lot more boat from Oldshoe.

        David
        Santiago, Chile