Re: Boatbuilding and Stereotypes

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1 7:15 AM
      > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:01:43 -0500
      > From: Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...>
      > Subject: Re: Boatbuilding and Stereotypes
      >
      > I'ma statistician by trade -- when I speak of differences between
      > men's and women's levels of interest in boatbuilding, I am not at all
      > suggesting that no women are interested in building, just that
      > significantly more men are interested than women. Enough more to
      > suggest that the difference is not due to chance, but rather has some
      > cause.

      This is true. It's the speculation about the cause that raised my ire,
      not the underlying differing distributions of interest.

      > A quick headcount of the builders represented at the Mid-Atlantic
      > Small Craft Festival a few years ago yielded (if memory serves) about
      > a half dozen boats built by women and over 140 built by men. At a
      > minimum, the stereotype still seems to hold for folks not attending
      > boat-building schools.

      I can tell you specialize more in the statistical analysis than in
      sampling! Surely there is a way to ascertain the relative numbers,
      somehow. I mean, one that doesn't cost a *lot* of money.

      > The women you see at boatbuilding schools are notable for their rarity.

      > ...and brilliance.

      Like a flower blooming in wintertime . . .

      Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
      Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
      I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
    • RPJ3@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1 8:05 AM
        Thanks for the insight ... it is good of you to share you innermost feelings
        with us epoxy besmirched reprobates. PS - don't let my wife know we've bonded
        like this. :<)

      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1 1:50 PM
          > I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.

          Yesterday, NY Times, Science section. Subject: Hormone replacement
          therapy. Data: HRT is not a good thing. Conclusion: "The data was for
          old women; you have to start younger."

          Yes, Dr. Duhem. Yes, Dr. Quine.
        • John Kohnen
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1 10:21 PM
            For music in the shop the stereo type I used was an el-cheapo, garage sale
            ghetto blaster until it died. Now I've got a new el-cheapo ghetto blaster
            on the way that'll play CDs and even MP3s. :o) I figure it doesn't make
            sense to put a fancy stereo system in the shop with all the sawdust...

            ;o)

            --
            John <jkohnen@...>
            I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2 6:54 AM
              > Yes, Dr. Duhem. Yes, Dr. Quine.

              Aargh. That was email was supposed to be off-list. Sorry.
            • Ron Badley
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 2 1:10 PM
                ...or, in the immortal words of Ben Johnson " I didn't take no stereo".

                RonB.