Re: psychology of boatbuilding

  • Susan Davis
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 31, 2006
      Patrick Crockett:
      > It appears that it may be the case that men are slightly
      > more likely to be interested in some other creative endeavors
      > (artists, authors, musicians)

      Not in my experience -- the artsy people I know are overwhelmingly
      skewed toward women.

      > The difference in
      > interest in boatbuilding is way too large to be due to culture, I
      > think.

      I'm not so sure about that. Interest in building boats seems fairly
      similar between men and women among people who are interested and
      willing to work with power tools, but there's a strong sense in the
      dominant culture that power tools are a "guy thing" and that women who
      use them are weird and vaguely threatening. Interest in owning boats
      or other vehicles for recreation -- especially in owning more than
      one! -- does seem to skew more toward men, which may further
      contribute to the phenomenon.

      There also may be a generational factor at work: many boatbuilding
      people I've met have tended to skew older than the median, and younger
      women are a bit less hamstrung by pre-feminist gender roles.

      > So -- what gives? What is it about building boats that interests
      > men but not women?

      I'm not sure that interest, per se, is the limiting factor. Many
      women who I've spoken with have just never had it occur to them that
      they could successfully build a boat in a reasonable amount of time,
      effort, and skill. I've gotten several female friends involved in
      building boats of their own (or repairing existing boats) simply by
      describing how easy instant boat and stitch-and-glue building methods
      can be.

      --
      Susan Davis <futabachan@...>
    • Bill_Mercer
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 3 11:04 PM
        > I'm not sure that interest, per se, is the limiting factor. Many
        > women who I've spoken with have just never had it occur to them that
        > they could successfully build a boat in a reasonable amount of time,
        > effort, and skill.

        I think part of the problem (well, it's problem for me, see below) is
        that women just don't get trained in taking things apart, or putting
        things together, as kids. When I was growing up, my Dad was always
        either fixing or building something, and I got the idea that that was
        what I should do too, though it took me a while to get to building
        anything besides models.

        I've tried to interest my girlfriend in building boats, but even
        though she's got a kayak kit about halfway done, with my help, she
        just can't sustain interest in it and the thing has been languishing.
        She's supportive of my interests though, and has been just as
        interested as me in finding a house with decent workshop space
        (nothing kills a project faster than freezing your $%#$ off under a
        leaky carport roof in Portland, OR).

        In fact though I've known a fair number of crafty women, I've really
        only known one who would work on larger-scale projects (bigger than
        paintings or jewelry) for fun.

        Bill

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Susan Davis" <futabachan@...> wrote:

        > Patrick Crockett:
        > > It appears that it may be the case that men are slightly
        > > more likely to be interested in some other creative endeavors
        > > (artists, authors, musicians)
        >
        > Not in my experience -- the artsy people I know are overwhelmingly
        > skewed toward women.
        >
        > > The difference in
        > > interest in boatbuilding is way too large to be due to culture, I
        > > think.
        >
        > I'm not so sure about that. Interest in building boats seems fairly
        > similar between men and women among people who are interested and
        > willing to work with power tools, but there's a strong sense in the
        > dominant culture that power tools are a "guy thing" and that women who
        > use them are weird and vaguely threatening. Interest in owning boats
        > or other vehicles for recreation -- especially in owning more than
        > one! -- does seem to skew more toward men, which may further
        > contribute to the phenomenon.
        >
        > There also may be a generational factor at work: many boatbuilding
        > people I've met have tended to skew older than the median, and younger
        > women are a bit less hamstrung by pre-feminist gender roles.
        >
        > > So -- what gives? What is it about building boats that interests
        > > men but not women?
        >
        > I'm not sure that interest, per se, is the limiting factor. Many
        > women who I've spoken with have just never had it occur to them that
        > they could successfully build a boat in a reasonable amount of time,
        > effort, and skill. I've gotten several female friends involved in
        > building boats of their own (or repairing existing boats) simply by
        > describing how easy instant boat and stitch-and-glue building methods
        > can be.
        >
        > --
        > Susan Davis <futabachan@...>

      • efemiket
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 8 2:41 PM
          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...> wrote:

          > I've read that every man should do three things in his life:
          >
          > Have a son.

          Why not a daughter? Dad can teach her all about tools and woodworking
          etc, and maybe a lot more women would be boatbuilders.

          I suspect nature is at work as well as nurture, however, as anyone who
          has a son and a daughter both can probably attest.

          I recall that in grade 7 you could choose shop class or home economics
          (cooking etc). In shop the male/female split was about 85/15; the
          reverse in home ec. I still remember being kind of surprised at how
          many girls wanted to take shop...I guess I assumed they would just all
          go to home ec. I took shop, but I learned to cook too, later on!

          Mike T

          > Build a house.
          > Build a boat.
          >
          >[snip]
          > Patrick

        • dnjost
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 9 5:33 AM
            My daughter is my boatbuilding partner. She is now 11 years old and
            learned the difference between a phillips head and a flat head
            screwdriver by assisting with the Micro. This is essential when you
            are hanging upside down and inside out under the cockpit deck of the
            Micro you are building.

            Our most recent project is the construction of a cruising sail for
            our 13' 6" Holt Enterprise! We ordered a kit from Sailrite, and have
            been having a ball putting it together. So far, we have learned:
            Patience, practice, sail shape, sewing machine maintenance, how to
            recover from mistakes, and the joy and essential nature of teamwork
            and cooperation. I really recommend working with Sailrite, they are
            a fantastic company.

            She is just as excited as I am about our upcoming order for
            Birdwather II plans. We know that we can build every single
            component of this boat. (well, maybe not the trailer, or motor. we
            will leave that to the experts).

            Happy building, include your kids.

            David Jost
          • Nels
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 9 7:28 AM
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

              > My daughter is my boatbuilding partner. She is now 11 years old and
              > learned the difference between a phillips head and a flat head
              > screwdriver by assisting with the Micro. This is essential when you
              > are hanging upside down and inside out under the cockpit deck of the
              > Micro you are building.

              With all due respect David, I think it is about time your daughter
              learned "the facts of life". Put away those silly flat and phillips
              screwdrivers and instead get her a set of "Robbies".

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver

              I believe they are called "square head" screws in the States and often
              advertised through McFeely's. With a robbie you can drive a screw into
              the ceiling, or at an angle, using one hand. Try that with those other
              old fashioned kind:-) Also work perfectly when using a cordless drill.

              http://www.mcfeelys.com/

              Nels
            • Bill Kreamer
              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 9 9:24 AM
                Has anyone stripped Robertson square drive screws as often as me? I switched
                to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.

                - Bill

                _____

                > My daughter is my boatbuilding partner. She is now 11 years old and
                > learned the difference between a phillips head and a flat head
                > screwdriver by assisting with the Micro. This is essential when you
                > are hanging upside down and inside out under the cockpit deck of the
                > Micro you are building.

                With all due respect David, I think it is about time your daughter
                learned "the facts of life". Put away those silly flat and phillips
                screwdrivers and instead get her a set of "Robbies".

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver

                I believe they are called "square head" screws in the States and often
                advertised through McFeely's. With a robbie you can drive a screw into
                the ceiling, or at an angle, using one hand. Try that with those other
                old fashioned kind:-) Also work perfectly when using a cordless drill.

                http://www.mcfeelys.com/

                Nels

                Bolger rules!!!
                - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
                horses
                (978) 282-1349

                Boating
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Boa
                ting+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=mqcLF_9XV9o
                nCtXqtJRwew> safety

                Boating
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Boating+safety&w2=B
                oating+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=dkYm-wjQG
                9dBpYDNsDoWYA> magazine

                Alaska
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Bo
                ating+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=68HKZqTBED
                IAkNEbirtqBA> outdoors

                Great
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Boa
                ting+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=n8nlIuy_1Jm
                78gnN-Zffgw> outdoors

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                on the web.

                _____

              • David
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 9 9:48 AM
                  Bill,

                  I own an Architectural Millwork firm. We use predominantly #2
                  Robertson drive screws. I've never seen anyone strip one out. I have
                  to say, that would take a bit of talent (did you ever have the
                  nickname FullTiltBill?) <Grin>. We do use mostly cordless drills with
                  adjustable clutch settings to avoid such mishaps. I've never used Torx
                  screws in any quantity - are they (as they appear) significantly more
                  resistant to stripping out the heads?

                  Cheers,
                  David Graybeal
                  Portland, OR.

                  "Moderation in all things, especially moderation"

                  *********************

                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamer@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone stripped Robertson square drive screws as often as me? I
                  switched
                  > to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.
                  >
                  > - Bill
                  >

                  > _____

                  Behalf Of
                  > Nels
                  > Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:28 AM
                  > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: [bolger] Re: psychology of boatbuilding
                  >

                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > My daughter is my boatbuilding partner. She is now 11 years old and
                  > > learned the difference between a phillips head and a flat head
                  > > screwdriver by assisting with the Micro. This is essential when you
                  > > are hanging upside down and inside out under the cockpit deck of the
                  > > Micro you are building.
                  > >
                  > With all due respect David, I think it is about time your daughter
                  > learned "the facts of life". Put away those silly flat and phillips
                  > screwdrivers and instead get her a set of "Robbies".
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver
                  >
                  > I believe they are called "square head" screws in the States and often
                  > advertised through McFeely's. With a robbie you can drive a screw into
                  > the ceiling, or at an angle, using one hand. Try that with those other
                  > old fashioned kind:-) Also work perfectly when using a cordless drill.
                  >
                  > http://www.mcfeelys.com/
                  >
                  > Nels

                  > horses
                  Fax:

                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger> "
                  > on the web.

                  > _____

                • Nels
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 9 11:14 AM
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > I own an Architectural Millwork firm. We use predominantly #2
                    > Robertson drive screws. I've never seen anyone strip one out. I
                    have
                    > to say, that would take a bit of talent (did you ever have the
                    > nickname FullTiltBill?) <Grin>. We do use mostly cordless drills
                    with
                    > adjustable clutch settings to avoid such mishaps. I've never used
                    Torx
                    > screws in any quantity - are they (as they appear) significantly
                    more
                    > resistant to stripping out the heads?
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > David Graybeal
                    > Portland, OR.
                    >
                    > "Moderation in all things, especially moderation"
                    >
                    > *********************

                    I have never had the experience of ever stripping out a Robertson
                    screw when driving it by hand in over 30 years of using them.

                    I highly recommend your method David, in using a driver with an
                    adjustable clutch, because it is possible if driving into hardwood,
                    with no pilot hole, to strip out the head - or twist it off - with a
                    powerful driver.

                    Two other possible errors I have witnessed, is using a smaller size
                    bit to drive a size larger screw and using a driver bit that is worn
                    out so the edges are rounded. If the bit won't hold the screw by
                    itself it is either the wrong bit or it is worn out.

                    I have only seen torx screws that are meant for metal work. Was not
                    aware of them being available for use in woodwork. Not that I see
                    any advantage in them.

                    Nels
                  • Clyde Wisner
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 9 1:43 PM
                      I have an idea, it depends on the maker or supplier of the square drive
                      screws. I've had some stainless ones that striped so fast that I
                      probably threw half away and then another batch from McFeeley wich
                      worked pretty well in putting down decking and assorted chores. If they
                      fail the first time try another supplir. Clyde

                      David wrote:

                      >>to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.
                      >>
                      >>- Bill
                      >>

                      >><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Service.
                      >>

                      >> _____

                      >Bolger rules!!!
                      >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
                      >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Bryant Owen
                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 9 2:22 PM
                        I'm presuming you're talking about the head. I've stripped enough to
                        say some things.

                        1. type and quality of the material used for the screw i.e. bronze
                        obviously strips easier than stainless. Also consider the metalurgical
                        aspect of the screw - some are "softer" than others.

                        2. size/shape of screw head opening vs size/shape of screwdriver head.

                        3. material you're using the screw in e.g. screw into a knot that
                        stops the screw from turning.

                        4. how much "wheaties" you and your cordless are using.

                        All things considered, when I've matched the right screw to the right
                        job and used the right head, used pilots or some other pre-drilling
                        and watched the feed and speed I've never stripped one.

                        Bryant - who sometimes doesn't know his own strength.

                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamer@...> wrote:

                        > Has anyone stripped Robertson square drive screws as often as me? I
                        switched
                        > to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.
                        >
                        > - Bill
                        >

                        > _____

                        Fax:
                        > (978) 282-1349

                        > Boating

                        ting+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=mqcLF_9XV9o
                        > nCtXqtJRwew> safety
                        >
                        > Boating

                        oating+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=dkYm-wjQG
                        > 9dBpYDNsDoWYA> magazine
                        >
                        > Alaska

                        ating+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=68HKZqTBED
                        > IAkNEbirtqBA> outdoors
                        >

                        > Great

                        ting+magazine&w3=Alaska+outdoors&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=n8nlIuy_1Jm
                        > 78gnN-Zffgw> outdoors
                        >

                        > _____
                        >
                        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                        >

                        > * Visit your group "bolger
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bolger> "
                        > on the web.

                        > _____

                      • Harry James
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 9 10:37 PM
                          I have had better luck with the square drives over phillips and I have
                          had very good results with the torx drives. The smaller ones will last
                          through a couple hundred screws, the larger ones seem to never fail. The
                          problem is finding marine grade screws with torx heads. You got a source?

                          HJ

                          Bill Kreamer wrote:
                          > Has anyone stripped Robertson square drive screws as often as me? I switched
                          > to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.
                          >
                          > - Bill
                          >

                          > _____

                        • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 10 12:59 AM
                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Nels" <arvent@...> wrote:
                            >> With all due respect David, I think it is about time your
                            daughter
                            > learned "the facts of life". Put away those silly flat and
                            phillips
                            > screwdrivers and instead get her a set of "Robbies".
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver
                            With a robbie you can drive a screw into
                            > the ceiling, or at an angle, using one hand. Try that with those
                            other
                            > old fashioned kind:-)

                            Hear!Hear! I have used these exclusively on several boats and can
                            not imagine ever wanting to go back to any other type of screw
                            head.To add to what Nels mentions about over head screw driving with
                            one hand,it is important to use the correct sized Robertson screw
                            driver and genuine Robertson screws not just some generic square
                            head screw driver and square headed screws.The real
                            Robertsons have nice deep pockets with crisp corners which makes for
                            authorative driving and backing out of these screws,especially
                            those one-handed-out-stretched-on-your-belly-with-arms-bent-down-
                            into-some-hell-hole-of-a-tight-engine-compartment-with-no-light-to-
                            see-the-phukin-screw-while-the-crew-asks-whether-it-is-noraml-for-so-
                            much-water-to-be-in-the-engine-compartment-in-the-first-place-and-
                            can-you-fix-it-before-we-drift-into-the-rocks-just-over-there-while-
                            the-crews-pet-Beagle-keeps-trying-to-get-between-your-legs-to-sniff-
                            your-crotch screws.
                            What? You've never had that type of screw before? You ain't lived
                            yet my friend!

                            Sincerely,

                            Peter"I'll take an even 13" Lenihan, who can't say or sing enough
                            the praises for Robertson drive
                          • Peter Lenihan
                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 10 1:00 AM

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 10 10:20 AM
                                Okay guys you got me. I guess I have to limit what I said to the situation
                                where one is re-using a screw, as I am wont to do. You can strip a long
                                Robertson screw on the second shot, whereas a similar Torx screw will go in
                                and out many times, no problem. Both Robertson and Torx screws are
                                available as stainless deck screws. You often get a free Torx bit in the
                                box of screws. It's at the bottom, I guess to prevent guys like me from
                                filching them. Yeah, I need to get a clutch drill soon. Seen any deals?
                                What's your model preference?

                                Full Tilt Bill <wicked grin>

                                _____

                                  Bill Kreamer wrote:
                                  > Has anyone stripped Robertson square drive screws as often as me? I
                                  switched
                                  > to Torx ("star drive") and I am now a happy camper.
                                  >
                                  > - Bill
                                  >

                                  > _____

                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Ala
                                  ska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=r49p2sdeaMd
                                  E-HKp6VsBvQ> safety

                                  Alaska
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Al
                                  aska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=DMVKSdfVjc
                                  XwtIGevXt4yA> outdoors

                                  Boating
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Boating+safety&w2=A
                                  laska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=4i1edadVu
                                  O4gEFWwcL_-EQ> magazine

                                  Great
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Ala
                                  ska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9lzoUcWE8Vy
                                  43nP6bzMgMQ> outdoors

                                  _____

                                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                  on the web.

                                  _____

                                • David
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 10 11:02 AM
                                    Wicked Bill,

                                    We use our Makita 14.4 volt drill drivers & impact drivers every day.
                                    There are many good brands out there. Bosch, Panasonic, DeWalt,
                                    PorterCable, etc. Some are even having good luck with the lower-priced
                                    Ryobi (for lighter or less frequent use, I'd imagine).

                                    Since you're presumably buying for your personal use, there's one
                                    thing I'd highly recommend. Heft the dang thing... with a battery in
                                    it. There are several perfectly good ones out there that felt either
                                    too fat, or too skinny to me... or too heavy, or badly balanced,. Look
                                    for good balance, and a good fit in your hand. Keep in mind that a
                                    minor feeling of misfit, or too much weight, will multiply
                                    exponentially as you drive larger quantities of fasteners. Hello sore
                                    muscles, achy arms, and/or Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

                                    I've been happy, so far, with the stuff I've gotten from McFeely's.
                                    BTW, keep in mind that Stainless screws are gonna be softer, and strip
                                    out easier than your typical hardened steel screw. Silicon Bronze,
                                    even more so. Solid Brass, more than that. Also, folks are gonna find
                                    much easier access to square drives, in a much larger selection, than
                                    either torx or butterfly drives. For those, one has to track down your
                                    own local industrial fasteners distributor. Some of them won't sell
                                    retail, or in smaller (small boat) quantities.

                                    Happy Shopping (and screwing),
                                    David Graybeal
                                    Portland, OR

                                    "It's much easier to be critical than to be correct" -- Benjamin Disraeli

                                    *************

                                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kreamer" <kreamer@...> wrote:

                                    > Harry, Robertson and Torx screws are available as stainless deck screws.

                                    > You often get a free Torx bit in the box of screws. It's at the
                                    bottom, I guess to prevent guys like me from filching them. Yeah, I
                                    need to get a clutch drill soon. Seen any deals? What's your model
                                    preference?

                                    > Full Tilt Bill <wicked grin>
                                  • derbyrm
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Feb 10 11:20 AM
                                      I really like my 18 volt Ryobi now that they offer replacement batteries at
                                      a reasonable price. That said, my wife's 9.6 volt Ryobi is much lighter and
                                      easier to handle, and my 18 volt Harbor Freight unit does the job despite
                                      its rough looks.

                                      Get two batteries and the charger.

                                      Roger
                                      derbyrm@...
                                      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

                                      >Yeah, I need to get a clutch drill soon. Seen any deals?
                                      > What's your model preference?

                                      > Full Tilt Bill <wicked grin>
                                    • Nels
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Feb 10 11:46 AM
                                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:

                                        > Wicked Bill,
                                        >
                                        > We use our Makita 14.4 volt drill drivers & impact drivers every
                                        day.
                                        > There are many good brands out there. Bosch, Panasonic, DeWalt,
                                        > PorterCable, etc. Some are even having good luck with the lower-
                                        priced
                                        > Ryobi (for lighter or less frequent use, I'd imagine).

                                        Dang David...
                                        Once again I have to agree;-) I have tried several cordless drills
                                        over the years and my original Makita was the most reliable and user
                                        friendly in my experience.

                                        If buying new be sure to purchase one with Ni-MH batteries.They
                                        don't tend to develop internal shorts like the old Ni-Cads.

                                        "Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) do not contain any heavy metals such
                                        as lead, mercury, or cadmium, and they can be recharged about 1,000
                                        times. Ni-MH batteries having high mAh (milliamp hour) ratings will
                                        last longest. Rechargeable batteries will save you money over time
                                        and can help to reduce household waste."

                                        The best boatbuilding robertson screws are sold by McFeely's for
                                        reasons given at their website:

                                        http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=20.1.5.8

                                        They also have cordless driver kits.

                                        I have no affiliation whatsoever with McFeely's just sharing what I
                                        have heard. I am a Lee Valley fan myself:-)

                                        Nels
                                      • Clyde Wisner
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Feb 11 8:59 AM
                                          Last year I bought a 14.4 Makita hammer driver from McFeeley's and
                                          Makita threw in a 3/8 drill motor, 2 batteries and charger. Not free but
                                          I've been very happy and driving drywall screws into very dry, 5 yr old
                                          framing in the housed that never gets done. Clyde

                                          Nels wrote:

                                          >--- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "David" <arbordg@...> wrote:
                                          >

                                          >>Wicked Bill,
                                          >>
                                          >>We use our Makita 14.4 volt drill drivers & impact drivers every
                                          >>

                                          >day.
                                          >

                                          >>There are many good brands out there. Bosch, Panasonic, DeWalt,
                                          >>PorterCable, etc. Some are even having good luck with the lower-
                                          >>

                                          >priced
                                          >

                                          >>Ryobi (for lighter or less frequent use, I'd imagine).
                                          >>

                                          >Dang David...

                                        • Nels
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 11 10:01 AM
                                            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Clyde Wisner <clydewis@...> wrote:

                                            > Last year I bought a 14.4 Makita hammer driver from McFeeley's and
                                            > Makita threw in a 3/8 drill motor, 2 batteries and charger. Not free
                                            but
                                            > I've been very happy and driving drywall screws into very dry, 5 yr
                                            old
                                            > framing in the housed that never gets done. Clyde

                                            I like the way McFeeley's talk about their stuff - like they actually
                                            really use it themselves!

                                            Talk about your boat porn. How about tool porn? This one has me
                                            drooling:-)

                                            http://www.mcfeelys.com/product.asp?ProductID=MK-X400

                                            Nels
                                          • Harry James