Boatbuilding and Stereotypes

  • Chris Crandall
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
      I think that men and women like boatbuilding just fine.

      If you go someplace where the gender stereotypes aren't so strong, you
      find more and more women in the biz--a short trip to the Center for Wooden
      Boats in Seattle will force you to set aside sweet dreams about the fluffy
      nature of women.

      A quick look at the ads for boatbuilding schools--serious folk, not tyros
      like us--will find that women apply, finish, and succeed.

      Unless you're made of snips and snails, and puppy dog tails, it's time to
      update the stereotype.
    • Bryant Owen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
        Perhaps the question should be more about why there are so few women
        on boatbuilding groups?

        Bryant

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Chris Crandall <crandall@k...> wrote:

        > I think that men and women like boatbuilding just fine.
        >
        > If you go someplace where the gender stereotypes aren't so strong, you
        > find more and more women in the biz--a short trip to the Center for
        Wooden
        > Boats in Seattle will force you to set aside sweet dreams about the
        fluffy
        > nature of women.
        >
        > A quick look at the ads for boatbuilding schools--serious folk, not
        tyros
        > like us--will find that women apply, finish, and succeed.
        >
        > Unless you're made of snips and snails, and puppy dog tails, it's
        time to
        > update the stereotype.

      • Patrick Crockett
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
          I'ma statistician by trade -- when I speak of differences between
          men's and women's levels of interest in boatbuilding, I am not at all
          suggesting that no women are interested in building, just that
          significantly more men are interested than women. Enough more to suggest
          that the difference is not due to chance, but rather has some cause.

          A quick headcount of the builders represented at the Mid-Atlantic Small
          Craft Festival a few years ago yielded (if memory serves) about a half
          dozen boats built by women and over 140 built by men. At a minimum, the
          stereotype still seems to hold for folks not attending boat-building
          schools.

          Patrick

          Chris Crandall wrote:

          >I think that men and women like boatbuilding just fine.
          >
          >If you go someplace where the gender stereotypes aren't so strong, you
          >find more and more women in the biz--a short trip to the Center for Wooden
          >Boats in Seattle will force you to set aside sweet dreams about the fluffy
          >nature of women.
          >
          >A quick look at the ads for boatbuilding schools--serious folk, not tyros
          >like us--will find that women apply, finish, and succeed.
          >
          >Unless you're made of snips and snails, and puppy dog tails, it's time to
          >update the stereotype.
          >

          >Bolger rules!!!
          >- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
          >- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead horses
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • derbyrm
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
            AND

            The women you see at boatbuilding schools are notable for their rarity.

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

            > I'ma statistician by trade -- when I speak of differences between
            > men's and women's levels of interest in boatbuilding, I am not at all
            > suggesting that no women are interested in building, just that
            > significantly more men are interested than women. Enough more to suggest
            > that the difference is not due to chance, but rather has some cause.
            >
            > A quick headcount of the builders represented at the Mid-Atlantic Small
            > Craft Festival a few years ago yielded (if memory serves) about a half
            > dozen boats built by women and over 140 built by men. At a minimum, the
            > stereotype still seems to hold for folks not attending boat-building
            > schools.
            >
            > Patrick
            >
            > Chris Crandall wrote:
            >
            >>I think that men and women like boatbuilding just fine.
            >>
            >>If you go someplace where the gender stereotypes aren't so strong, you
            >>find more and more women in the biz--a short trip to the Center for Wooden
            >>Boats in Seattle will force you to set aside sweet dreams about the fluffy
            >>nature of women.
            >>
            >>A quick look at the ads for boatbuilding schools--serious folk, not tyros
            >>like us--will find that women apply, finish, and succeed.
            >>
            >>Unless you're made of snips and snails, and puppy dog tails, it's time to
            >>update the stereotype.
            >>

            >>Bolger rules!!!
            >>- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
            >>- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
            >>horses
            >>- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
            >>- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
            >>- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax:
            >>(978) 282-1349
            >>- Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >>- Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            > horses
            > (978) 282-1349
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kathy Kreamer
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
              ...and brilliance.

              Bill

              _____

              > I'ma statistician by trade -- when I speak of differences between
              > men's and women's levels of interest in boatbuilding, I am not at all
              > suggesting that no women are interested in building, just that
              > significantly more men are interested than women. Enough more to suggest
              > that the difference is not due to chance, but rather has some cause.
              >
              > A quick headcount of the builders represented at the Mid-Atlantic Small
              > Craft Festival a few years ago yielded (if memory serves) about a half
              > dozen boats built by women and over 140 built by men. At a minimum, the
              > stereotype still seems to hold for folks not attending boat-building
              > schools.
              >
              > Patrick
              >
              > Chris Crandall wrote:
              >
              >>I think that men and women like boatbuilding just fine.
              >>
              >>If you go someplace where the gender stereotypes aren't so strong, you
              >>find more and more women in the biz--a short trip to the Center for Wooden
              >>Boats in Seattle will force you to set aside sweet dreams about the fluffy
              >>nature of women.
              >>
              >>A quick look at the ads for boatbuilding schools--serious folk, not tyros
              >>like us--will find that women apply, finish, and succeed.
              >>
              >>Unless you're made of snips and snails, and puppy dog tails, it's time to
              >>update the stereotype.
              >>

              >>Bolger rules!!!
              >>- NO "GO AWAY SPAMMER!" posts!!! Please!
              >>- no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
              >>horses
              >>- stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
              >>- Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
              >>- Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax:
              >>(978) 282-1349
              >>- Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >>- Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              >>Yahoo! Groups Links

              > horses
              > (978) 282-1349
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Bolger rules!!!
              - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging dead
              horses
              (978) 282-1349

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              on the web.

              _____

            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2006
                The women go to school to lurn ask the questions men wont and only
                join groups to see if there is anything new. Men in the school are
                always thinking about the women and lurn nothing so they need to join
                the group to find out what they missed in school. ROFLMAO

                Jon

                --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Kreamer" <kreamer@a...> wrote:

                > ...and brilliance.
                >

                > Bill
                >

                > _____

                Behalf Of
                > derbyrm
                > Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 7:11 PM
                > To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [bolger] Boatbuilding and Stereotypes
                >

                > AND
                >
                > The women you see at boatbuilding schools are notable for their
                rarity.

                > Roger
              • Chris Crandall
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                  > Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:01:43 -0500
                  > From: Patrick Crockett <pcrockett@...>
                  > Subject: Re: Boatbuilding and Stereotypes
                  >
                  > I'ma statistician by trade -- when I speak of differences between
                  > men's and women's levels of interest in boatbuilding, I am not at all
                  > suggesting that no women are interested in building, just that
                  > significantly more men are interested than women. Enough more to
                  > suggest that the difference is not due to chance, but rather has some
                  > cause.

                  This is true. It's the speculation about the cause that raised my ire,
                  not the underlying differing distributions of interest.

                  > A quick headcount of the builders represented at the Mid-Atlantic
                  > Small Craft Festival a few years ago yielded (if memory serves) about
                  > a half dozen boats built by women and over 140 built by men. At a
                  > minimum, the stereotype still seems to hold for folks not attending
                  > boat-building schools.

                  I can tell you specialize more in the statistical analysis than in
                  sampling! Surely there is a way to ascertain the relative numbers,
                  somehow. I mean, one that doesn't cost a *lot* of money.

                  > The women you see at boatbuilding schools are notable for their rarity.

                  > ...and brilliance.

                  Like a flower blooming in wintertime . . .

                  Chris Crandall crandall@... (785) 864-4131
                  Department of Psychology University of Kansas Lawrence, KS 66045
                  I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.
                • RPJ3@AOL.COM
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                    Thanks for the insight ... it is good of you to share you innermost feelings
                    with us epoxy besmirched reprobates. PS - don't let my wife know we've bonded
                    like this. :<)

                  • pvanderwaart
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                      > I have data convincingly disconfirming the Duhem-Quine hypothesis.

                      Yesterday, NY Times, Science section. Subject: Hormone replacement
                      therapy. Data: HRT is not a good thing. Conclusion: "The data was for
                      old women; you have to start younger."

                      Yes, Dr. Duhem. Yes, Dr. Quine.
                    • John Kohnen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
                        For music in the shop the stereo type I used was an el-cheapo, garage sale
                        ghetto blaster until it died. Now I've got a new el-cheapo ghetto blaster
                        on the way that'll play CDs and even MP3s. :o) I figure it doesn't make
                        sense to put a fancy stereo system in the shop with all the sawdust...

                        ;o)

                        --
                        John <jkohnen@...>
                        I have never seen a situation so dismal that a policeman couldn't make it
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                          > Yes, Dr. Duhem. Yes, Dr. Quine.

                          Aargh. That was email was supposed to be off-list. Sorry.
                        • Ron Badley
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
                            ...or, in the immortal words of Ben Johnson " I didn't take no stereo".

                            RonB.