RE: [bolger] Re: Windermere Seaworthyness (Coastal Cruising)

  • eric green
    Message 1 of 52 , Jan 30, 2006
      > As to your spouses desire for a flush toilette and shower
      > stall......it is not on the plans. What is offered instead is the not-
      > yet-famous Bolger DLD head and the possibility of using the head
      > compartment for a quicky shower. The DLD concept may take some fine
      > wordings from you to your spouse to convince her that it is anything
      > other then an outhouse arrangement, the DLD standing for Don't Look
      > Down...............Mind you, if you both have had lots of camping
      > experience and/or small boat adventures, the privacy afforded by at
      > least a fully enclosed head will be a plus in the right
      > direction, not to mention the private space to shower.

      I was thinking of a composting toilet, although I have not been completely
      convinced that they work. Part of the problem is that I am a backpacker
      and she is a campground tent camper (You know, the kind with bathhouses.
      She likes a shower every day or two, I can make it 10 days. Of course,
      if I was with her, rather than a bunch of smelly guys on a backpacking
      trip, I might have more incentive to shower every day!

      > You are also a rather tall drink of water and may find yourself
      > having to bend your head a bit in places as you stroll around
      > inside....the full length use of 4X8 plywood for the sides self-
      > limits any thoughts of raising the roof any higher :-( ....that
      > is, unless you lower the sole to get space for your 6'8".

      Peter, that is why they make 4x10 sheets of plywood. After spending
      time in an RV with a 6'6" headroom, I would never have a live-aboard
      boat with less than 6'10" of headroom. The cost of cutting down 10 long
      sheets of ply is insignificant relative to my neck being straight.

      > I would love to hear what you consider a "reasonable amount of
      > time" to build along with whatever response you may gather from our
      > Hero regarding your questions.

      Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder. I figure that means something
      I can build with 2000-2500 hours of work. Temper this with the fact that
      I am a hands-on, experienced, engineer, carpenter, mechanic and machinist.
      I have built and/or repaired about one of everything before, so I tend to
      work relatively fast and make few mistakes (usually, not always).

      Message 52 of 52 , Oct 26, 2006
        Can you tell me about the topaz?

        Topaz is a design sold by Phil Bolger, essentially a shallow draft
        double ended outboard runabout, mostly out of plywood.

        I think that three have been built in the 'enclosed cabin' version,
        and I am the first to build in the 'open runabout' version. I think
        it could be built with MDO plywood, (without fiberglass), making it
        somewhat 'disposable', but with a boat this big (31ft) there is some
        justification towards spending the $/time to build it more
        substantially w/plywood/epoxy/fiberglass composite.

        Some photos of a Topaz build here:

        http://journeyboats.com/photo_journal.htm

        I used a different quicker technique for the bottom build, with no
        'table', Silicon Bronze nails instead of screws, and I was happy with
        the time saved.

        Presently, I am partially done, doing interior fitout (most recently,
        the 'faux-teak' floorboard planking between the seats and in the
        cockpit) plus painting of the underseat compartments. Two weeks ago,
        I installed the narrow curved midship top deck strake (20ft x 6"
        tilted and curved), for which I used Free!ship to calculate the
        layout. Handy software!