Birdwatcher II

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 24, 2006
      Dear Group,

      I am anxiously waiting for that Birdwatcher II video, but just might
      be the one to actually make it and post it.

      You see, my saw is cold, the epoxy in storage, and the hammer is
      getting lonely. Reading Bill Mason's article in Wooden Boat has
      inspired me to seek out to recapture the spirit of Thoreau with low
      impact camp/cruising. What better to do this in than Birdwatcher II.

      Phil Bolger sent me sketches of the AS 19 and Chebacco, but I really
      feel that the promises of dry/relaxed sailing with the improvements in
      tiller and centerboard will keep this old dinghy sailor (old sailors
      never die, they just get a little dinghy) happy and out of trouble.

      I hope to hear from Mr. Bolger soon on my requests for pricing and
      comparisons.

      Wish me luck.

      David Jost
      Taxachusetts
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
        So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...

        Next, the master planning. Nervous anticipation has arisen as my
        proximity to Mr. Bolger's residence means that there will be a certain
        level of boatbuilder accountibility here. A hack job is out of the
        question.

        Maybe if I build it piece by piece off site my wife won't notice the
        slowly developing boat hidden beneath the tarp! :-)

        This is like Christmas all over again. Now, where did I put that scale
        ruler.

        Happy Building,
        David Jost
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
          On 3/2/06, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:
          > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
          > David Jost

          I am intensely curious. Is there a building key, or commentary
          included with the plans?
        • Nels
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006

            > On 3/2/06, dnjost <davidjost@...> wrote:
            > > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
            > > David Jost
            >
            > I am intensely curious. Is there a building key, or commentary
            > included with the plans?

            According to Bob Larkin there is a ten page building key and five
            17X22 blueprints.

            http://www.proaxis.com/~boblark/bw2_main.htm

            Nels
          • Peter Lenihan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 2, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

              > So, the plans for Birdwatcher II have arrived...
              >
              > Next, the master planning. Nervous anticipation has arisen as my
              > proximity to Mr. Bolger's residence means that there will be a
              certain
              > level of boatbuilder accountibility here. A hack job is out of
              the
              > question.

              David,

              Excellent good news!!! By all means take the time(and materials)
              needed to do a first class rendition....it will be a thing of beauty
              worth passing on to the kids which you'll never
              regret!.Besides,you've had some good practice with a few other
              Bolger boats and have thus built yourself out of any further excuses
              for "hack jobs":-)

              All the best to ya!!

              Sincerely,

              Peter Lenihan,feeling some early signs of Spring already creeping in
              along the shores of the St.Lawrence...........
            • dnjost
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                Ok -

                It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
                the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
                key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
                Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

                The building method as far as I have figured out is simplistic beyond
                belief. Lay out the ply sheets, attach to frames and stem, square up
                and put the bottom on. The rest is in the details: Mast (haven't
                quite figured that one out yet), Centreboard 109 lbs steel ballast
                insert, rudder, sails, etc, lexan windows.

                Pretty cool, and well worth the cost of the plans just for the puzzle
                solving aspect of the project.

                My plan is to attack it little by little, and then build the same
                way.

                1st step = materials list

                David Jost
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                  > 1st step = materials list
                  >
                  > David Jost

                  A quickie model, made from cardboard, might also be a good first step.
                • John Bell
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2006
                      John -

                      That about sums it up...the puzzler. It appears to be series of
                      concentric box spars that are glued one inside the other and then
                      faired smooth. Will investigate a little bit on this as I really want
                      to build to plans and not deviate unless absolutely essential.

                      I suppose this would allow the use of shorter pieces of good stock and
                      avoid the hassle of trying to scarf and find straight pieces w/o
                      blemishes, and result it scarfed sections through the fairing process.
                      It actually seems reasonable. No need for the expense of sitka spruce!

                      Bruce's idea of doing a model first is quite rational.

                      Thanks to all for the support and ideas.

                      David Jost
                    • saillips
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "dnjost" <davidjost@...> wrote:

                        > Ok -
                        >
                        > It does include a commentary that outlines the thought process behind
                        > the design and what it hopes to accomplish. a well detailed building
                        > key. and 5 sheets of blueprints in both metric and
                        > Dodecametric/fractional system (feet/inches/eighths) ;-)

                        Hi David,
                        When I receieved my BW2 plans,I found it very helpful to go through
                        the key and refer to the plans sheets at the same time, several times
                        over before doing anything. Since there is no "building sequence" per
                        se, I thought I'd offer my 2 cents on what worked and what I'd do
                        differently "next time".
                        I laid out my side panels with butt blocks and installed all interior
                        framing while flat on the floor. I then flipped the panels and
                        preglassed using Garth Batista's technique(see Jim Michalak's web
                        page, back issues) of rolling a plasitc film on top of the wet
                        epoxy/glass.He used Mylar and got an almost mirror finish. I used
                        sheet plastic and got a very smooth surface that reduced my fairing to
                        almost nothing. If you're using top quality materials, like Bob Larkin
                        is, you may want to skip the exterior glass on the topsides.I used ACX
                        ply. These things worked well.
                        I also pre-cut the motor cut-out on the starboard side while the
                        panels were flat.Seemed like a good idea at the time. This resulted in
                        an unfair bend in that area when the sides were sprung around the
                        frames. It took some wrestling to correct, and I'd wait until the hull
                        is together and perhaps the deck is on before cutting it out "next time".
                        After the sides were on the frames I laminated the sheer clamps and
                        chine logs. I cut my chine logs flush with the inner stem and stern
                        posts, before I added the exterior stem and stern caps. Because of
                        aesthetics and perhaps strength, I'd let the chine logs flow into the
                        exterior pieces "next time", like Bob Larkin did.
                        The plans are vague about the sheer clamp/window transition to the aft
                        deck, but Bob seems to have figured it out quite nicely. I'm not that
                        far yet.
                        Finally, if I were to do it again I would take Bruce's advice and
                        build a model first.........like Bob did!
                        Bottom line, build like Bob Larkin. He's thoughtful and meticulous in
                        building, and generous and kind with advice.
                        My pics are in bolger4photos.
                        Best wishes in your building adventure,
                        David Lipsey
                      • dnjost
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 4, 2006
                          David -

                          thanks for the advice, and encouragement.

                          I finally had a couple of hours to sit with the plans, scale rule,
                          and building key and had some fun just figuring out how it all goes
                          together.

                          Having built Micro, the sequence appears to be similar without the
                          bother of the lead keel assembly. I am sure putting the 109lb board
                          in place will be no easy task, but I plan to employ slave labor here
                          (14 year old son).

                          The mast does appear to be as Bruce described as having the tapered
                          plug on the top 6' of mast. This appears to be the most challenging
                          carpentry. I may do up a birdsmouth or go with the standard box spar
                          as described in Chapelle's book. I am tempted to rabbet out some
                          2x4's glue them up, taper, and plug em' but I can see where the
                          orientation of the wood in the 4 sided box will add strength while
                          reducing weight aloft.

                          The good news is that it really is built in a sort of instant boat
                          fashion. (and my basement is exactly 25' long with huge removeable
                          bay windows!

                          DAvid Jost