Oldshoe Photos

  • Joe Tribulato
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 16, 2006
      I have posted 4 photos of my Oldshoe in Bolger 6.
      It was built in 1988 and sailed mostly in harbors and bays in southern
      California. The photos are in San Diego bay at a 2005 SCSBMS messabout.
      It was sold and went to Seattle with Rosalie. Note that it is carrying
      four people in comfort with the bow transom just at the water.
    • Peter Lenihan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Joe Tribulato" <scsbmsjoe@y...>
        wrote:

        > I have posted 4 photos of my Oldshoe in Bolger 6.
        > It was built in 1988 and sailed mostly in harbors and bays in
        southern
        > California. The photos are in San Diego bay at a 2005 SCSBMS
        messabout.
        > It was sold and went to Seattle with Rosalie. Note that it is
        carrying
        > four people in comfort with the bow transom just at the water.

        Ya know,.....those glorious photos really should be posted in
        the "files" section so that we all can see the big pictures and not
        those wee ones that the photo section only permits.....

        Lovely pictures Joe and I like your colour scheme too!

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan
      • Joe Tribulato
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006

          > Ya know,.....those glorious photos really should be posted in
          > the "files" section so that we all can see the big pictures and not
          > those wee ones that the photo section only permits.....
          >
          > Lovely pictures Joe and I like your colour scheme too!
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Peter Lenihan

          Thanks Peter. Color scheme is must be good if the boat is to be
          appreciated. I like to keep it simple. Just two colors here. Your
          Micro looked great but you did use quite a few colors. Looking forward
          to your scheme for Windemere.
          I am not too familiar with the workings of files/photos but did notice
          the large photos in files. I'll try to put some of the Oldshoe in
          files soon. Should not be done indiscriminately though. Might use up
          our allotted space too quickly.

          Joe T.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
            > the large photos in files. I'll try to put some of the Oldshoe in
            > files soon. Should not be done indiscriminately though. Might use up
            > our allotted space too quickly.
            >
            > Joe T.

            Yahoo also owns the free sharing site

            http://www.flickr.com/

            you can register for free and post photos there in the group BolgerBoats,
            with essentially no space limitations.

            http://www.flickr.com/groups/bolgerboats/
          • Clyde Wisner
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
              Bruce, is that a fast motor sailer pictured next to the topaz? I wrote
              to PCB about the inlet runner, which he said was never finished, but he
              did say that the fast motor sailer had the same hull shape. Clyde PS, he
              also said the Delaware trawler will become the Halifax Explorer when
              they get to it.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
              • ANDREW AIREY
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
                  Is that a dipping lug sail in the photo
                  Cheers
                  Andyairey
                  --- Bruce Hallman <bruce@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------
                  > is that a fast motor sailer pictured

                  yes

                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/hallman/55633781/in/pool-bolgerboats/

                  Bolger rules!!!
                  - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
                  or flogging dead horses
                  - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
                  thanks, Fred' posts
                  - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                  and snip away
                  - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                  Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  - Open discussion:
                  bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Alaska
                  outdoors Boating
                  magazine Boating
                  safety
                  Great outdoors

                  Terms of Service.

                  ---------------------------------

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006
                    > Is that a dipping lug sail in the photo
                    > Cheers
                    > Andyairey

                    It sure is. I have never actually used a boat with that rig, but sure
                    would like to try it.
                  • Nels
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 20, 2006

                      > > Is that a dipping lug sail in the photo
                      > > Cheers
                      > > Andyairey
                      >
                      > It sure is. I have never actually used a boat with that rig, but
                      sure
                      > would like to try it.

                      Looks to me like the perfect set-up for a FMS. I can see a person
                      heading off to the Bahamas in such a boat. Gary Blankenship extoles
                      the ability of a dipping lug when one can hold a tack for an
                      extended period. Then you have that big motor if you need to get
                      upwind or hold a course in the currents when crossing the Gulf Steam.

                      I wonder if this one has only the one leeboard, as speicified in the
                      original design?

                      Nels
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 4, 2006
                        Peter Lenihan>
                        > Ya know,.....those glorious photos really should be posted in
                        > the "files" section so that we all can see the big pictures and not
                        > those wee ones that the photo section only permits.....

                        Is it just my imagination, or has Yahoo recently changed their photo
                        size limitation?!?
                      • Joe Tribulato
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 8, 2006
                          There is room in the photos section of this group and I have posted some.

                          This Oldshoe was built in 1988 from plans purchased from Elrow LaRowe
                          who later sold his business to Bernie Wolford. It was kept outdoors
                          under a tarp and showed no significant deterioration except for loose
                          paint at some joints and edges. It was glued with epoxy and fastened
                          with bronze ring nails. Coated with epoxy in and out. Glass on chines
                          only as I recall. Paint was oil primer and enamel. Pretty good for 17
                          years. Most of that time it was on the California central coast where
                          we get some rain in the winter. I sanded and repainted it for the
                          first time in the summer of 2005 when it was sold to Rosalie
                          Gammelgaard in Seattle. Before taking it home we took it to the Giant
                          Five Day Messabout in San Diego where these photos were taken. Rosalie
                          is seated, in hat. I am behind the camera. Any Questions?

                          Joe T