Re: [bolger] finishing systems?

  • hwal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2000
      In a message dated 5/23/2000 4:02:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lharding@... writes:

      << workboat finish is called for. I
      am looking for low odor, low voc, child friendly choices like latex
      primer and house paint. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated >>

      I went with sherwin williams probloc primer and walmart porch and deck latex
      house paint on my martha jane. I like the outcome. As I've said a couple
      times on this list - when it gets scratched up because of the latex being
      soft - I just grab a roller and touch it up. I know that we had a discussion
      about kilz recently - and I was the only person who had any problems with
      kilz adhereing - after our capsize earlier this year - the only paint that
      came loose was a place where I had used kilz on the inside. The latex does
      block UV.

      steve anderson - ( mj Landroval)
    • Gordon Couger
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2000
        > lharding@... writes:
        >
        > << workboat finish is called for. I
        > am looking for low odor, low voc, child friendly choices like latex
        > primer and house paint. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated >>

        Gray Seal make product called Pro Plasitc. According to the sales
        blurb I hear while I am drinking coffee it is pretty tough stuff and
        breathes
        to allow moisture to pass through it so it does not peel if the wood gets
        wet. It is self priming on most woods except red wood, ceader and teak.

        I did some experments with it as a cement and paint for a flexible
        hull material made up of two layers of Tyeck and a center woven
        layer of cloth. I tried several cloth layers. The results were that it
        was cheaper and a lot less trouble to buy Dacron. But I was very
        impressed with the flexibility and strength of the paint. You could
        wad the cured skin up in a ball and the paint would not crack.

        If I were using a water based product this is what I would use. It
        has almost no smell at all.

        I have no interest in Grey Seal or the hardware store that sells it.
        I just drink their free coffee and fish with the owner. They will
        ship large or small orders anywhere in the USA if you can't find
        it localy.

        Gordon

        Gordon Couger gcouger@...

        Stillwater, OK www.couger.com/gcouger
        405 624-2855 GMT -6:00
      • Roger Dewhurst
        Message 3 of 7 , May 29, 2000
          At 15:26 30/05/00 +0000, you wrote:

          >My boat is covered in Polyurethane not epoxy.. Can I use oil based products?

          My house is varnished inside with polyurethane. Some of the house cleaning
          sprays and foams, which I think are petroleum based, do not react too well
          with the polyurethane. Thus I would be a bit suspicious of oil based
          paints. Why not try the acrylics which have been referred to? They are
          relatively cheap, water based (which makes life much easier) and last well
          enough. My house roof and garage roof were painted with acrylic paint about
          20 years ago. Most of the paint is still there and it is only now in need
          of re-painting. This in a New Zealand climate which is a good deal harder
          on the paint than the UK climate.

          Roger
        • daniel.curnutte@royalmail.co.uk
          Message 4 of 7 , May 30, 2000
            Please elaborate.. By house paint what do you mean? Paints are not described as
            "House Paint" over here. Would and Exterior Wood Gloss (oil based??) paint fit
            the bill? Or do you mean a vinyl emulsion type paint (surely not!!)..
          • Richard Spelling
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2000
              100% acrylic latex exterior. Stay away from oil based paint and/or primer if
              you are going over epoxy.
              > Please elaborate.. By house paint what do you mean? Paints are not
              described as
              > "House Paint" over here. Would and Exterior Wood Gloss (oil based??) paint
              fit
              > the bill? Or do you mean a vinyl emulsion type paint (surely not!!)..

              > Missing old school friends? Find them here:

            • Richard Spelling
              Message 6 of 7 , May 30, 2000
                You might try a small inconspicuous area with the paint you want to use.
                (always a good idea)

                Message 7 of 7 , May 30, 2000
                  My boat is covered in Polyurethane not epoxy.. Can I use oil based products?