Cotton Cloth with Epoxe

  • Richard Jernigan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2006
      Something to bear in mind when using cotton cloth with any plastic
      resin ... cotton fibres absorbe the resin and swell up - thus each
      fibre becomes shorter and the overall length/width of the cloth becomes
      LESS. This can put great tension on the cloth and pull it free of an
      underlying surface - or if planned for, contribute to bonding and
      strength. Coarse weave cloths can also 'fuzz up' pretty badly & require
      touch sanding before painting.

      As an aside, I once made a 16 foot doorskin / epoxe-cloth flat
      bottom narrow dink & used faux 'satin' sheets (old / used) on the
      bottom ... pulled up really tight with a great bond & talk about
      SLICK! ... would barely hold the bottom paint.

      Used bed sheets work great for boat interiors ... just remember
      that the cloths tend to "draw up" as they wet out ... and stay 'drawn
      up' when the resin cures. One can use indellable magic markers to draw
      designs or even woodgrain or boards on the sheets ... sheets can be
      dyed (ritt dyes work good) before bonding - just be certain that the
      sheets are completely rinsed and dried before wetting out with
      resin.
    • Richard Jernigan

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2006
          I bet it does shrink when epoxied. I coated a canvas covered canoe
          with airplane dope when I was a boy.. You could hear the wood creaking
          as it contracted. I painted over it and it held up for many years.

          Doug
          Richard Jernigan wrote:

          > Something to bear in mind when using cotton cloth with any plastic
          > resin ... cotton fibres absorbe the resin and swell up - thus each
          > fibre becomes shorter and the overall length/width of the cloth becomes
          > LESS. This can put great tension on the cloth and pull it free of an
          > underlying surface - or if planned for, contribute to bonding and
          > strength. Coarse weave cloths can also 'fuzz up' pretty badly & require
          > touch sanding before painting.
          >
          > As an aside, I once made a 16 foot doorskin / epoxe-cloth flat
          > bottom narrow dink & used faux 'satin' sheets (old / used) on the
          > bottom ... pulled up really tight with a great bond & talk about
          > SLICK! ... would barely hold the bottom paint.
          >
          > Used bed sheets work great for boat interiors ... just remember
          > that the cloths tend to "draw up" as they wet out ... and stay 'drawn
          > up' when the resin cures. One can use indellable magic markers to draw
          > designs or even woodgrain or boards on the sheets ... sheets can be
          > dyed (ritt dyes work good) before bonding - just be certain that the
          > sheets are completely rinsed and dried before wetting out with
          > resin.

          > dead horses
          > Fax: (978) 282-1349

          > Boating safety
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=r49p2sdeaMdE-HKp6VsBvQ>
          > Alaska outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=DMVKSdfVjcXwtIGevXt4yA>
          > Boating magazine
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=4i1edadVuO4gEFWwcL_-EQ>
          >
          > Great outdoors
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9lzoUcWE8Vy43nP6bzMgMQ>

        • John B. Trussell
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
            Our British cousins refer (accurately) to fiberglass as "glass reinforced
            plastic" or GRP. I once wrote a letter to "Woodenboat" suggesting that they
            change the name of cold-molded plywood to WRP or wood reinforced plastic and
            told them that I had developed a new construction ttechnique using wooden
            lathes and concrete (which I called "arbor cement"). I never heard back
            from them and I gather that they were not amused.

            The use of fabric coverings with paint or glue has a fairly long history to
            include such things as paper canoes, canvas covered decks, canvas covered
            small boats, and double planked boats with a layer of fabric (muslin) in
            between the layers. If the object of the exercise in sheathing is to
            prevent checking, any fairly light cloth ought to do the job and old bed
            sheets are a lot cheaper than glass cloth.

            JohnT
            > I bet it does shrink when epoxied. I coated a canvas covered canoe
            > with airplane dope when I was a boy.. You could hear the wood creaking
            > as it contracted. I painted over it and it held up for many years.
            >
            > Doug
            > Richard Jernigan wrote:
            >
            >> Something to bear in mind when using cotton cloth with any plastic
            >> resin ... cotton fibres absorbe the resin and swell up - thus each
            >> fibre becomes shorter and the overall length/width of the cloth becomes
            >> LESS. This can put great tension on the cloth and pull it free of an
            >> underlying surface - or if planned for, contribute to bonding and
            >> strength. Coarse weave cloths can also 'fuzz up' pretty badly & require
            >> touch sanding before painting.
            >>
            >> As an aside, I once made a 16 foot doorskin / epoxe-cloth flat
            >> bottom narrow dink & used faux 'satin' sheets (old / used) on the
            >> bottom ... pulled up really tight with a great bond & talk about
            >> SLICK! ... would barely hold the bottom paint.
            >>
            >> Used bed sheets work great for boat interiors ... just remember
            >> that the cloths tend to "draw up" as they wet out ... and stay 'drawn
            >> up' when the resin cures. One can use indellable magic markers to draw
            >> designs or even woodgrain or boards on the sheets ... sheets can be
            >> dyed (ritt dyes work good) before bonding - just be certain that the
            >> sheets are completely rinsed and dried before wetting out with
            >> resin.
            >>

            >> Bolger rules!!!
            >> - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming, or flogging
            >> dead horses
            >> - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed, thanks, Fred' posts
            >> - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts, and snip away
            >> - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester, MA, 01930,
            >> Fax: (978) 282-1349
            >> - Unsubscribe: bolger-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
            >> - Open discussion: bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

            >> Boating safety
            >> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+safety&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=r49p2sdeaMdE-HKp6VsBvQ>
            >> Alaska outdoors
            >> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=DMVKSdfVjcXwtIGevXt4yA>
            >> Boating magazine
            >> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Boating+magazine&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=4i1edadVuO4gEFWwcL_-EQ>
            >>
            >> Great outdoors
            >> <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Boating+safety&w2=Alaska+outdoors&w3=Boating+magazine&w4=Great+outdoors&c=4&s=83&.sig=9lzoUcWE8Vy43nP6bzMgMQ>

            > horses
            > (978) 282-1349
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • Nels
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
              --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
              <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:
              If the object of the exercise in sheathing is to
              > prevent checking, any fairly light cloth ought to do the job and
              old bed
              > sheets are a lot cheaper than glass cloth.
              >
              > JohnT

              Instead of using epoxy, a person might consider using Rust-Oleum 2-
              part epoxy paint. There is a PDF instruction brochure here:

              http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=59&SBL=1

              My next door neighbour gets some of this stuff for free from his
              work place. They use a lot and when it time expires they give him
              orders to haul it away for "proper disposal" and some ends up on his
              garage floor - and mine too:-P

              It has stood up for over ten years on the garage floor and after
              repainting it again this year, I tried it on an add-on small deck at
              the front entrance. The deck was constructed from G1S 3/4" MDO,
              painted with the two-part epoxy Rust-Oleum. (The uderside and
              sleepers were sealed with a solid wood stain.) Then I sprinkled on
              some sand-blasting particles and painted another coat over it when
              the first coat became hard, but still tacky. I used a roller and an
              extension handle so did not even have to bend over.

              Now I see there is a water-based version which I plan to use on my
              next project. I already have the MDO and I may not even glass it at
              all. Just paint it and for abrasion resistance on the bottom add
              some carbon powder to the second coat.

              Nels
            • Patrick Crockett
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 8, 2006
                If the object is to prevent checking of fir plywood, cotton cloth may
                not be strong enough. I used 2.5 oz glass cloth (against the good advice
                of the vendor) and the fir plywood checked right throught he GRP in the
                first seaon of use.

                Patrick