Re: [bolger] Digest Number 2754

  • catboat15@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2006
      In a message dated 1/7/2006 6:40:06 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      bolger@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I bought what the Fort Worth, Texas, lumber yard claimed was 1/4" "marine"
      plywood for my first boat. I'd have been better off using old newspapers.
      It was garbage!

      Out here in the desert it is hard to find any lumber dealer who even knows
      what "marine" means. When I went to a local yard and asked the kid if they had
      "exterior" plywood, he told me that all their ply is kept in the building so
      none is "exterior".
      I ordered fir ply grade ADX from down below and when I cut out a couple of
      bulkheads they warped like a potato chip. Full of voids too (Trying to pour
      lead for CB weight, lead leaked all over the driveway through voids.)
      Finally ordered out some five ply 6 mm. Luan. Hope it works out OK for my
      boat kept on land and taken out only for sailing expeditions and mess abouts.

      John Meacham
      High desert of California
      Bolger Cartopper.