Re: [bolger] MDO question

  • derbyrm
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
      I bought what the Fort Worth, Texas, lumber yard claimed was 1/4" "marine"
      plywood for my first boat. I'd have been better off using old newspapers.
      It was garbage!

      The 3/4" double sided MDO I bought from a dealer in Louisville, KY, is
      beautiful stuff. Many, many impeccable layers. (That means I'm too lazy to
      go out to the barn and count them.) About half the cost of Occume.

      Roger
      derbyrm@...
      http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
        Ronzo--There are periodic threads about MDO on this group. I recently
        completed a stitch and glue boat using Olympus MDO plywood. This product
        is used to make highway signs and obviously Transportation Departments have
        more clout with plywood manufacturers than amateur boatbuilders. I find
        that it is very nice to work with if you ignore the smell of what I suspect
        is urea formaldahyde glue when you cut it.

        I chose it because the sanding and filling necessary to get an acceptable
        paint job is my least favorite part of boatbuilding. MDO cuts this time
        significantly.

        I would caution you that MDO comes in several variations, including some
        that is intended for concrete forms. I don't know if this would be suitable
        for boatbuilding. My experience is limited to highway sign material, and I
        like it.

        John T

        > MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am confused as
        > to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
        > posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
        > required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
        > planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various types of
        > plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
        > between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
        > weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?
        >
        > My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be posed
        > elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.
        >
        > ronzo
        >
        > 1 mouseboat
        > 1 pirogue

        > horses
        > (978) 282-1349
        > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >

        > --

      • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
          The mdo I have used has the paper impregnated overlay that is not
          totaly waterproof but prevents checking and the epoxy soakes into it
          and bonds well. Curently I am building a 32'X 9' at the top
          sternwheeler with 1/2" mdo sides and 2 layers of single faced 3/8 cold
          molded bottem. I am going to glass the hull with 6# doubeling bow stern
          and chines for durability when beaching.

          Jon
        • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
            <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

            > Ronzo--There are periodic threads about MDO on this group. I
            recently
            > completed a stitch and glue boat using Olympus MDO plywood. This
            product
            > is used to make highway signs and obviously Transportation
            Departments have
            > more clout with plywood manufacturers than amateur boatbuilders. I
            find
            > that it is very nice to work with if you ignore the smell of what I
            suspect
            > is urea formaldahyde glue when you cut it.
            >
            > I chose it because the sanding and filling necessary to get an
            acceptable
            > paint job is my least favorite part of boatbuilding. MDO cuts this
            time
            > significantly.
            >
            > I would caution you that MDO comes in several variations, including
            some
            > that is intended for concrete forms. I don't know if this would be
            suitable
            > for boatbuilding. My experience is limited to highway sign
            material, and I
            > like it.
            >
            > John T

            That that is used for concrete forms is not MDO it is HDO (H for
            heavy) and is not embosed on the face so paint and glass do not stick
            as well. Most HDO is 1" to 1-1/4" thick.

            Jon
          • James Greene
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
              On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:50:21 -0800 (PST), Phil Smith wrote:
              > If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with
              > the marine plywood.

              I wouldn't unless I wanted a bright finish, because the MDO is a lot easier to finish with paint since it's already got a smooth and uniform surface vs. plywood which will have grain patters, possible patches, etc.

              James Greene