Re: MDO question

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ronporterus" <ronald.porter@m...>
      wrote:

      > MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am
      confused as
      > to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
      > posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
      > required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
      > planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various
      types of
      > plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
      > between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
      > weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?
      >
      > My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be
      posed
      > elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.
      >
      > ronzo
      >
      > 1 mouseboat
      > 1 pirogue

      Hi Ronzo,

      What kind of marine plywood are you referring to that is the same
      price as 1/2" MDO? The reason I ask is that there is such a broad
      range of quality in what is sold as "marine grade" plywood these
      days it is a real challenge. For example some retailers of marine
      plywood do not even stock marine fir plywood, the quality has
      deteriorated so much lately.

      Also fir has to be glassed to prevent checking. MDO does not have to
      be glassed. However on the downside, MDO will not finish bright as
      it is already coated with a resin barrier that hides the grain
      completely. MDO looks like drywall when you first see it:-)

      Okoume is probably the best marine grade, readily available and the
      lightest. Meranti is close for less cost. Then I think MDO is next
      except it is fir based and is therefor heavier.

      http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Plywoods-us/plywoods-us.html

      http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/crezon.htm

      My Micro - made from crezon - is almost 14 years old now and has
      spent most summers in the water and most of it's life outdoors. It
      is just now showing it could use a new coat of paint - mostly from
      sun fading the dark green hull. The hull was completely encapsulated
      with 2 coats of epoxy and painted with Brightsides one-part
      urethane. Glassed only from keel to waterline and on the deck.

      The G1S MDO will likely check on the unsealed side if exposed to
      weather, but would work great if you are closing in the interior
      like a BirdwatcherII, or doubling up on the bottom.

      Nels
    • Phil Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
        If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with the marine plywood.

        Phil Smith

        MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am confused as
        to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
        posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
        required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
        planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various types of
        plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
        between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
        weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?

        My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be posed
        elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.

        ronzo

        1 mouseboat
        1 pirogue

        Bolger rules!!!
        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
          If there was a Bolger FAQ, the MDO question would be listed first, so
          searching the archive will reveal lots.

          MDO is resin impregnated paper overlay on plywood, which is think is
          quite similar to a resin impregnated cloth overlay on plywood.

          FWIW, when I asked Phil Bolger if I could use MDO plywood on Topaz
          Sypder he replied that he favored epoxy and glass cloth on that boat.
        • derbyrm
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
            I bought what the Fort Worth, Texas, lumber yard claimed was 1/4" "marine"
            plywood for my first boat. I'd have been better off using old newspapers.
            It was garbage!

            The 3/4" double sided MDO I bought from a dealer in Louisville, KY, is
            beautiful stuff. Many, many impeccable layers. (That means I'm too lazy to
            go out to the barn and count them.) About half the cost of Occume.

            Roger
            derbyrm@...
            http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

            > If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with the
            > marine plywood.
            >
            > Phil Smith

          • John B. Trussell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
              Ronzo--There are periodic threads about MDO on this group. I recently
              completed a stitch and glue boat using Olympus MDO plywood. This product
              is used to make highway signs and obviously Transportation Departments have
              more clout with plywood manufacturers than amateur boatbuilders. I find
              that it is very nice to work with if you ignore the smell of what I suspect
              is urea formaldahyde glue when you cut it.

              I chose it because the sanding and filling necessary to get an acceptable
              paint job is my least favorite part of boatbuilding. MDO cuts this time
              significantly.

              I would caution you that MDO comes in several variations, including some
              that is intended for concrete forms. I don't know if this would be suitable
              for boatbuilding. My experience is limited to highway sign material, and I
              like it.

              John T

              > MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am confused as
              > to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
              > posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
              > required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
              > planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various types of
              > plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
              > between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
              > weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?
              >
              > My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be posed
              > elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.
              >
              > ronzo
              >
              > 1 mouseboat
              > 1 pirogue

              > horses
              > (978) 282-1349
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >

              > --

            • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                The mdo I have used has the paper impregnated overlay that is not
                totaly waterproof but prevents checking and the epoxy soakes into it
                and bonds well. Curently I am building a 32'X 9' at the top
                sternwheeler with 1/2" mdo sides and 2 layers of single faced 3/8 cold
                molded bottem. I am going to glass the hull with 6# doubeling bow stern
                and chines for durability when beaching.

                Jon
              • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                  --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
                  <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

                  > Ronzo--There are periodic threads about MDO on this group. I
                  recently
                  > completed a stitch and glue boat using Olympus MDO plywood. This
                  product
                  > is used to make highway signs and obviously Transportation
                  Departments have
                  > more clout with plywood manufacturers than amateur boatbuilders. I
                  find
                  > that it is very nice to work with if you ignore the smell of what I
                  suspect
                  > is urea formaldahyde glue when you cut it.
                  >
                  > I chose it because the sanding and filling necessary to get an
                  acceptable
                  > paint job is my least favorite part of boatbuilding. MDO cuts this
                  time
                  > significantly.
                  >
                  > I would caution you that MDO comes in several variations, including
                  some
                  > that is intended for concrete forms. I don't know if this would be
                  suitable
                  > for boatbuilding. My experience is limited to highway sign
                  material, and I
                  > like it.
                  >
                  > John T

                  That that is used for concrete forms is not MDO it is HDO (H for
                  heavy) and is not embosed on the face so paint and glass do not stick
                  as well. Most HDO is 1" to 1-1/4" thick.

                  Jon
                • James Greene
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:50:21 -0800 (PST), Phil Smith wrote:
                    > If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with
                    > the marine plywood.

                    I wouldn't unless I wanted a bright finish, because the MDO is a lot easier to finish with paint since it's already got a smooth and uniform surface vs. plywood which will have grain patters, possible patches, etc.

                    James Greene