MDO question

  • ronporterus
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
      MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am confused as
      to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
      posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
      required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
      planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various types of
      plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
      between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
      weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?

      My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be posed
      elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.

      ronzo

      1 mouseboat
      1 pirogue
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "ronporterus" <ronald.porter@m...>
        wrote:

        > MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am
        confused as
        > to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
        > posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
        > required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
        > planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various
        types of
        > plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
        > between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
        > weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?
        >
        > My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be
        posed
        > elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.
        >
        > ronzo
        >
        > 1 mouseboat
        > 1 pirogue

        Hi Ronzo,

        What kind of marine plywood are you referring to that is the same
        price as 1/2" MDO? The reason I ask is that there is such a broad
        range of quality in what is sold as "marine grade" plywood these
        days it is a real challenge. For example some retailers of marine
        plywood do not even stock marine fir plywood, the quality has
        deteriorated so much lately.

        Also fir has to be glassed to prevent checking. MDO does not have to
        be glassed. However on the downside, MDO will not finish bright as
        it is already coated with a resin barrier that hides the grain
        completely. MDO looks like drywall when you first see it:-)

        Okoume is probably the best marine grade, readily available and the
        lightest. Meranti is close for less cost. Then I think MDO is next
        except it is fir based and is therefor heavier.

        http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Plywoods-us/plywoods-us.html

        http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/crezon.htm

        My Micro - made from crezon - is almost 14 years old now and has
        spent most summers in the water and most of it's life outdoors. It
        is just now showing it could use a new coat of paint - mostly from
        sun fading the dark green hull. The hull was completely encapsulated
        with 2 coats of epoxy and painted with Brightsides one-part
        urethane. Glassed only from keel to waterline and on the deck.

        The G1S MDO will likely check on the unsealed side if exposed to
        weather, but would work great if you are closing in the interior
        like a BirdwatcherII, or doubling up on the bottom.

        Nels
      • Phil Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
          If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with the marine plywood.

          Phil Smith

          MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am confused as
          to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
          posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
          required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
          planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various types of
          plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
          between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
          weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?

          My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be posed
          elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.

          ronzo

          1 mouseboat
          1 pirogue

          Bolger rules!!!
          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
            If there was a Bolger FAQ, the MDO question would be listed first, so
            searching the archive will reveal lots.

            MDO is resin impregnated paper overlay on plywood, which is think is
            quite similar to a resin impregnated cloth overlay on plywood.

            FWIW, when I asked Phil Bolger if I could use MDO plywood on Topaz
            Sypder he replied that he favored epoxy and glass cloth on that boat.
          • derbyrm
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
              I bought what the Fort Worth, Texas, lumber yard claimed was 1/4" "marine"
              plywood for my first boat. I'd have been better off using old newspapers.
              It was garbage!

              The 3/4" double sided MDO I bought from a dealer in Louisville, KY, is
              beautiful stuff. Many, many impeccable layers. (That means I'm too lazy to
              go out to the barn and count them.) About half the cost of Occume.

              Roger
              derbyrm@...
              http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

              > If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with the
              > marine plywood.
              >
              > Phil Smith

            • John B. Trussell
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                Ronzo--There are periodic threads about MDO on this group. I recently
                completed a stitch and glue boat using Olympus MDO plywood. This product
                is used to make highway signs and obviously Transportation Departments have
                more clout with plywood manufacturers than amateur boatbuilders. I find
                that it is very nice to work with if you ignore the smell of what I suspect
                is urea formaldahyde glue when you cut it.

                I chose it because the sanding and filling necessary to get an acceptable
                paint job is my least favorite part of boatbuilding. MDO cuts this time
                significantly.

                I would caution you that MDO comes in several variations, including some
                that is intended for concrete forms. I don't know if this would be suitable
                for boatbuilding. My experience is limited to highway sign material, and I
                like it.

                John T

                > MDO has been mentioned on this list several times but I am confused as
                > to its recommended use in boatbuilding. I think I remember one
                > posting that stated that MDO is ready to paint - no cloth or epoxy
                > required (that may have been used in reference to a builder not
                > planning to sheath with FG and epoxy). I have costed various types of
                > plywood. There is no significant difference in cost in this area
                > between 1/2 inch marine and 1/2 inch MDO. What are strengths and
                > weaknesses of of single faced and double faced MDO?
                >
                > My apologies in advance to the group of this question should be posed
                > elsewhere since the plans are not from Bolger.
                >
                > ronzo
                >
                > 1 mouseboat
                > 1 pirogue

                > horses
                > (978) 282-1349
                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                >

                > --

              • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                  The mdo I have used has the paper impregnated overlay that is not
                  totaly waterproof but prevents checking and the epoxy soakes into it
                  and bonds well. Curently I am building a 32'X 9' at the top
                  sternwheeler with 1/2" mdo sides and 2 layers of single faced 3/8 cold
                  molded bottem. I am going to glass the hull with 6# doubeling bow stern
                  and chines for durability when beaching.

                  Jon
                • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                    --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
                    <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

                    > Ronzo--There are periodic threads about MDO on this group. I
                    recently
                    > completed a stitch and glue boat using Olympus MDO plywood. This
                    product
                    > is used to make highway signs and obviously Transportation
                    Departments have
                    > more clout with plywood manufacturers than amateur boatbuilders. I
                    find
                    > that it is very nice to work with if you ignore the smell of what I
                    suspect
                    > is urea formaldahyde glue when you cut it.
                    >
                    > I chose it because the sanding and filling necessary to get an
                    acceptable
                    > paint job is my least favorite part of boatbuilding. MDO cuts this
                    time
                    > significantly.
                    >
                    > I would caution you that MDO comes in several variations, including
                    some
                    > that is intended for concrete forms. I don't know if this would be
                    suitable
                    > for boatbuilding. My experience is limited to highway sign
                    material, and I
                    > like it.
                    >
                    > John T

                    That that is used for concrete forms is not MDO it is HDO (H for
                    heavy) and is not embosed on the face so paint and glass do not stick
                    as well. Most HDO is 1" to 1-1/4" thick.

                    Jon
                  • James Greene
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                      On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 08:50:21 -0800 (PST), Phil Smith wrote:
                      > If I could get marine plywood and MDO for the same price, I'd go with
                      > the marine plywood.

                      I wouldn't unless I wanted a bright finish, because the MDO is a lot easier to finish with paint since it's already got a smooth and uniform surface vs. plywood which will have grain patters, possible patches, etc.

                      James Greene