Re: Question on glassing

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 28, 2005
      Hi John,

      What weight cloth are you using? For a cartopper and most other
      smaller boats, 4 oz. is about all one requires. Heavier cloth will
      take more epoxy to fill the weave, add more weight and cost and not
      give much in return in the way of strength or delamination ability.

      Nels

      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, catboat15@a... wrote:

      > If the weather ever warms up here again I want to finish with the
      glass
      > cloth and epoxy on my Car topper. Right now I see a few small
      blisters here and
      > there where the glass is not bonded to the wood. Asking for
      advice, ignore
      > those spots? Sand them down and just put on the second and third
      coat of epoxy?
      > Or the most work, cut them out and patch in a piece of cloth? The
      last would
      > make more joints of course and require more work to level off the
      seams.
      > On previous glassing jobs I never could seem to fill the weave of
      the cloth.
      > Should I add some filler powder to the second and third coats to
      hide the
      > texture of the cloth?
      > TIA from you experienced boat builders
      >
      > John Meacham
      > High desert of California
      > Bolger Cartopper.

    • Eric OHiggins
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 28, 2005
        Couple of points of response:
        1 -- System 3 is very clear that, although they own
        Industrial Formulators which makes the Cold Cure
        brands, they do not guarantee chemical compatibility
        and strongly advise curing and depending on mechanical
        bonding.
        2 -- I've encountered extreme amounts of amine blush
        when temperatures get too low. I have found it easy
        to remove with water while still at the green stage
        (followed by a superficial scraping). The partly
        cured System 3 has not been noticeably affected by
        this treatment. If it gets water on it TOO early it
        gets white on the surface but that will disappear in
        time.
        Eric
        --- Nels <arvent@...> wrote:

        > Industrial Formulators Canada has a free PDF firmat
        > manual available . . . I expect it could apply to
        other products especially
        > System Three
        > who now owns IFC . . .
        > >(Nels wrote) " I generally use System Three epoxy
        and they say
        > that you can get a chemical bond, up to 72 hours
        after it sets. I