Re: Question on glassing

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 28, 2005
      Hi Jim

      > One small question on your technique. When you put down the first,
      sealing coat, how long d you wait for the later coat with the glass?
      Do you wait until the epoxy is thoroughly cured, then sand for
      mechanical key, or do you put the fabric on with the epoxy still
      green and soft?

      I wait for the first coat to cure and then lightly sand it. Normally
      I fill screw holes and tape seams, then sand the tape edges and clean
      up the filled holes before putting the sealing coat on. If I had a
      helper, I'd think about putting the cloth on while the sealing coat
      is still green, but since I work alone, it's much easier to position
      the cloth on a smooth, "dry" hull.

      BTW, a sealing coat helps with taping seams, too, but I've found that
      I still need to recoat after grinding down the tape edges. So lately
      I've just been dunking the tape in epoxy prior to applying it on the
      bare plywood seams, and this puts enough glue on to stick the tape
      without endless brushing or squegeeing. It's messy, though.

      Jon Kolb
      http://www.kolbsadventures.com/boatbuilding_index.htm
    • Nels
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 28, 2005
        Hi John,

        What weight cloth are you using? For a cartopper and most other
        smaller boats, 4 oz. is about all one requires. Heavier cloth will
        take more epoxy to fill the weave, add more weight and cost and not
        give much in return in the way of strength or delamination ability.

        Nels

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, catboat15@a... wrote:

        > If the weather ever warms up here again I want to finish with the
        glass
        > cloth and epoxy on my Car topper. Right now I see a few small
        blisters here and
        > there where the glass is not bonded to the wood. Asking for
        advice, ignore
        > those spots? Sand them down and just put on the second and third
        coat of epoxy?
        > Or the most work, cut them out and patch in a piece of cloth? The
        last would
        > make more joints of course and require more work to level off the
        seams.
        > On previous glassing jobs I never could seem to fill the weave of
        the cloth.
        > Should I add some filler powder to the second and third coats to
        hide the
        > texture of the cloth?
        > TIA from you experienced boat builders
        >
        > John Meacham
        > High desert of California
        > Bolger Cartopper.

      • Eric OHiggins
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 28, 2005
          Couple of points of response:
          1 -- System 3 is very clear that, although they own
          Industrial Formulators which makes the Cold Cure
          brands, they do not guarantee chemical compatibility
          and strongly advise curing and depending on mechanical
          bonding.
          2 -- I've encountered extreme amounts of amine blush
          when temperatures get too low. I have found it easy
          to remove with water while still at the green stage
          (followed by a superficial scraping). The partly
          cured System 3 has not been noticeably affected by
          this treatment. If it gets water on it TOO early it
          gets white on the surface but that will disappear in
          time.
          Eric