16' outboard utility "HOPE"? John Tuma or Ross Lillistone, are you out there?

  • John Bell
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2005
      In the 11/15/05 MAIB, Phil Bolger presents HOPE, his design #258, a 16' x
      6'4" outboard utility. Ross Lillistone in Australia recently built 2 of them
      in glued lapstrake, one as an outboard and the other with a Yanmar 1GM10
      Diesel. Photos of the inboard boat are in the Bolger4 photo section, and
      it's lovely. The same article also show us a photo of John Tuma's strip
      built boat in California. The drawings show a center console utility. Ross's
      boat has a small cuddy for lockable storage and John's boat is completely
      open and tiller steered.

      Unlike most outboard utilities of this size, HOPE is a semi-displacement
      hull, designed to run efficiently at moderate speeds with low power. Tuma's
      boat is said to give 12 mph with three people aboard using his 15HP Honda.
      The deep sharp forefoot and round bilged hull is said to give a soft and
      easy ride in a chop.

      Now, this is the kind of boat I find simply irresistible! Elegant, low
      power, economical to build and operate, and with lots of deck space. I'd
      love to hear from either Ross or John more about these boats. I'd
      particularly like to hear about any difficulties Ross had in translating the
      original strip built construction to glued lap.

      And more photos, please!

      John Bell <><
      Kennesaw, GA
      http://mistermoon.blogspot.com