Re: [bolger] Re: kayak sailing,

  • Will Samson
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 2, 2005
      >>I agree that a paddle is not the best way to steer a kayak, unlike a
      canoe where one is sitting in the stern seat when sailing. A foot-
      pedal controlled rudder is also a great energy saver when paddling
      into a quartering wind.>>

      All true, of course, but there's a price to be paid - complexity.

      To my mind the greatest thing about a simple kayak is that it can be popped in the water and paddled away with no set-up time. Once you get into rudders, foot-pedals and such, you are introducing things that may take some setting up and adjusting each trip, and also bits that may fail. They can be expensive, too, if you don't make your own.

      A good friend of mine is into big sails and outriggers on his kayak and gets a great buzz out of it. I, on the other hand, love my low-tech, low-maintenance, home-made approach to kayaking.

      I'm not sure if the name of the guy who first said 'different strokes for different folks' survives, but it's as true today as when it was first uttered.

      Happy kayaking!

      Bill

    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 75 of 75 , Apr 5, 2006
        I'm not sure the quoting is still accurate in this thread. In any
        case, I'm sure the Dynel is good if the issue is just abrasion.
        However, I think at the partners, and perhaps elsewhere, localized
        crushing is part of the picture. In that case I'm guessing fiberglass
        would remain superior. Not that you couldn't have a bit of dynel over it.

        > One layer of dynel is 6 times as abrasion resistance as 1 layer of 6oz
        > glass per some tests in Boatbuilder several years ago.
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > pvanderwaart wrote:
        > >> What about armoring the mast with fiberglass and epoxy at the
        > >>
        > > partners and other wear
        > >
        > >> points? Or wrapping it with some other thing to prevent wear?
        snip