Heater up-date...good news!

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
      Bolgerados,

      Recently I querried the group for heater
      tips/suggestions/recommendations/reviews. My interest in particular
      was with electric oil-filled heaters.Based on the recieved group
      feed-back, I went ahead and purchased a Noma oil-filled heater and
      have been using it these past 2 weeks.This heater comes with 3 power
      settings(600,900 and 1500 watts),safety checks and switches up the
      yingyang and a"frost" setting.
      Well....although we have yet to get any deep winter cold yet up
      here, I have been able to work in t-shirt comfort inside the boat
      keeping a nice 65F.temps average.
      It was also an interesting thing to experience a relatively
      rapid rise with the inside temperatures which occured simply by
      laying in, dry, the stryofoam filler pieces...amazing what 2 inches
      can do sometimes:-)
      Of course,once they were properly epoxied in place and the
      gaps filled with some expanding foam-in-a-can,things started to get
      a wee bit too warm to work comfortably. I suspect that by the time
      I've finished insulating the entire interior,I'll be able to paint
      and varnish no matter how cold it gets outside.
      The best part however,is arriving first thing in the
      morning,entering a cold damp bowshed,climbing the ladder up to the
      boat and then feeling a gentle warm breeze flowing out of the cabin
      as I open the door into the boat.For some odd-ball reason, I always
      think of fresh pancakes and molasses each time this happens..........
      Oh yes and I did rig up a seperate/dedicated power line for the
      heater with some outdoor rated 14gw grounded wire running off a 30
      amp outlet.Despite running the heater now for the past 13 days full-
      time,at the medium setting, I have yet to detect even the slightest
      warmth from the plugs.I take this to be a good sign :-)
      At any rate,just wanted to let you all know that so far this
      heater seems to be just the ticket for comfy inside winter work and
      that it now appears to be safe enough for full-time,un-attended use.

      Thanks to all who rendered endorsements!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,looking forward to the worst winter has to throw while
      I play"boatbuilder" and remain as comfortable as a pig-in-a-
      blanket........and a thirsty pig to boot!
    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
        Peter,

        Congratulations on your being able to expand your "epoxy season" by
        the use of the heaters. However, I have a safety concern with the 14
        ga. wire on a 30 amp. breaker! The idea of fuses and circuit breakers
        is to protect the wires in case of a short circuit. I normally use a
        15 amp. breaker for 14 ga, 20 amp. for 12 ga. and a 30 amp. breaker
        for 10 ga. (all 110 volt circuits or double pole breakers for 220
        volt). I fear that your 14 ga. wires could burn through and never trip
        the 30 amp circuit breaker!

        The online caculators I use:
        http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html
        http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html

        say that 14 ga. is good for your load of 12.5 amps (1500 wats at 120
        volt) up to a length of 45 feet. Above this length they say to use 12
        ga. wire.

        Keep us posted!
        Lewis

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Lenihan" <peterlenihan@h...> wrote:

        > Bolgerados,
        >
        > Recently I querried the group for heater
        > tips/suggestions/recommendations/reviews. My interest in particular
        > was with electric oil-filled heaters.Based on the recieved group
        > feed-back, I went ahead and purchased a Noma oil-filled heater and
        > have been using it these past 2 weeks.This heater comes with 3 power
        > settings(600,900 and 1500 watts),safety checks and switches up the
        > yingyang and a"frost" setting.
        > Well....although we have yet to get any deep winter cold yet up
        > here, I have been able to work in t-shirt comfort inside the boat
        > keeping a nice 65F.temps average.
        > It was also an interesting thing to experience a relatively
        > rapid rise with the inside temperatures which occured simply by
        > laying in, dry, the stryofoam filler pieces...amazing what 2 inches
        > can do sometimes:-)
        > Of course,once they were properly epoxied in place and the
        > gaps filled with some expanding foam-in-a-can,things started to get
        > a wee bit too warm to work comfortably. I suspect that by the time
        > I've finished insulating the entire interior,I'll be able to paint
        > and varnish no matter how cold it gets outside.
        > The best part however,is arriving first thing in the
        > morning,entering a cold damp bowshed,climbing the ladder up to the
        > boat and then feeling a gentle warm breeze flowing out of the cabin
        > as I open the door into the boat.For some odd-ball reason, I always
        > think of fresh pancakes and molasses each time this happens..........
        > Oh yes and I did rig up a seperate/dedicated power line for the
        > heater with some outdoor rated 14gw grounded wire running off a 30
        > amp outlet.Despite running the heater now for the past 13 days full-
        > time,at the medium setting, I have yet to detect even the slightest
        > warmth from the plugs.I take this to be a good sign :-)
        > At any rate,just wanted to let you all know that so far this
        > heater seems to be just the ticket for comfy inside winter work and
        > that it now appears to be safe enough for full-time,un-attended use.
        >
        > Thanks to all who rendered endorsements!
        >

        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Peter Lenihan,looking forward to the worst winter has to throw while
        > I play"boatbuilder" and remain as comfortable as a pig-in-a-
        > blanket........and a thirsty pig to boot!

      • Wesley Cox
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2005
          Lewis is correct. A good way to check that a circuit is done correctly
          is that every component in the circuit must be rated to handle the
          maximum current of the breaker, including wire, outlets and switches.
          That includes individual outlets, for instance. Electrical supply
          circuits are, by necessity, wired in parallel, in which case the current
          is the same in each branch (component) of the circuit. Standard (low
          cost) receptacles, in the US at least, are typically rated for 20 amps.
          The circuit in question could theoretically overload, but not short, and
          pull just under 30 amps, NOT tripping the 30 amp breaker. After a
          relatively short time, the 14 ga. wire and/or the outlet *will* overheat
          and *might* cause flame.

        • Peter Lenihan
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
            --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"
            <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

            > Peter,
            >
            > Congratulations on your being able to expand your "epoxy season" by
            > the use of the heaters. However, I have a safety concern with the
            14
            > ga. wire on a 30 amp. breaker! The idea of fuses and circuit
            breakers
            > is to protect the wires in case of a short circuit. I normally use
            > 15 amp. breaker for 14 ga, 20 amp. for 12 ga. and a 30 amp. breaker
            > for 10 ga. (all 110 volt circuits or double pole breakers for 220
            > volt). I fear that your 14 ga. wires could burn through and never
            trip
            > the 30 amp circuit breaker!
            >
            > The online caculators I use:
            > http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html
            > http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html
            >
            > say that 14 ga. is good for your load of 12.5 amps (1500 wats at
            120
            > volt) up to a length of 45 feet. Above this length they say to use
            12
            > ga. wire.
            >
            > Keep us posted!
            > Lewis

            Hi Lewis,

            It is good and interesting that you post this! I went back
            to re-read what I had written and saw too that I had written 14
            guage wire.In fact,it is 12 gauge with solid wire(as apposed to the
            fine stranded twisted variety).Mind must have been thinking
            something else and got confused.

            And just this past Friday,while
            showing off my new heater set-up to my boatbuilding neighbour at the
            yard, I learnt that I was plugged into a 15 amp outlet. I had looked
            into the box earlier in the year and re-called seeing the breakers,
            in
            pairs,rated at 15 amp each but somehow thinking this was 30amp
            combined....My boatyard neighbour is building a 40' Roberts Spray
            and knows about electricity for all his welding needs, kindly walked
            me through my set-up and explained to me how I was in fact hooked up
            to only one 15 amp breaker not both of them for a total,he chuckled,
            of 30! Oh
            BOY....me stupider then me thought! The good news is that there is
            lots and lots of room for me to learn still and I will now most
            certainly get a professional to over-see my interior wiring needs.

            Again, I appreciate the information Lewis and will strive to get it
            righter/safer before I,heaven forbid, burn the whole place down:-)

            Well,off to study those links provided......

            Thankful and sincere,

            Peter Lenihan, who still doesn't understand how when someone
            explains something to me it all makes perfect sense and yet when
            alone, I can't for the life of me remember a single thing
            straight.It is not like I am all that dense "upstairs" either since
            I take great pains to keep it all soft and spongy bathed in high
            alcohol solution..............hmmmmmm.........little lights are
            starting to blink over me skull.........:-D
          • Lewis E. Gordon
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2005
              Peter,

              That's good news! Electricity is fun, and I'm sure that by launch day
              you will be expert at both AC and DC. (That's concerning electricity
              of course.) DC doesn't bite like AC but it can still start fires and
              do other bad things to boats. I used to work around 1500 amp. circuits
              at 5 volt DC and one learns to respect those little electrons very
              quickly!

              Lewis
              On the north shore of Lake Nicaragua where it is a nice 29.5 C with
              sunny blue skies and the lake breeze blowing through the windows.