Re: Light Cat-Schooner, Reefing, and the SHS

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell" <John.Trussell@w...>
      wrote:
      I found that the mizzen sheet liked
      > to wrap itself around the tip of the boomkin, where it would be very
      > difficult to free. Boomkins are common on a lot of British boats
      and they
      > must work, but I opted to go the double sheet route and this seems
      to work
      > well.

      Hi John,

      Your choice of double sheeting the mizzen is a good one and the
      trick to preventing a mizzen sheet from wrapping itself around the
      boomkin is to mount the little block at the extreme bitter end of the
      boomkin and I really do mean the outside"tip" of the boomkin.
      Can't wait to see some nice photos of your boat to treat eyes grown
      sad from looking at cold empty waterways of late.

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan,up to my ears in blue styrfoam dust/bits from happy
      insulating sessions of late,from along the soon to be artic shores of
      the St.Lawrence..........
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
        Peter--
        If you check the latest Michalak Index page, there is a picture of my Toon
        19 on her maiden voyage. As is often the case when you build a prototype
        there is a lot of working up to be done.

        Since the picture was taken, I have re-rigged the main so it sets better and
        put a pad eye on the mizzen to hold the snotter at the
        appropriate location so it sets better. I'm in the process of building a
        longer tiller which should allow me to sit against the main bulkhead. This
        should trim the boat flatter (fore and aft) and if that's not enough, a bag
        of sand in the bow should trim things up. I also need to move the cleats
        for the mizzen sheets, so I can reach them while sitting forward.

        I'm not convinced that any homemade boat is ever completely finished, but
        I'm making progress. South Carolina winters are mild and I should have a
        couple of good days over the next couple of months to fiddle and test.

        Thanks for your interest and encouraging words.

        John T