Re: Diamond

  • Peter Lenihan
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 1, 2005
      >the geometry is truly
      > amazing (and fascinating), as the shape of the hull is essentially
      > defined by only eleven points.
      >
      > See:
      >
      > http://hallman.org/freeship/Diamond.jpg
      >
      > for a screenshot

      and what a fascinating shape it is indeed! We have ourselves a
      veritable design genius as our Hero :-) But it is boats and shapes
      like this that make me sometimes awfully glad I'm fully occupied
      with a boatbuilding project otherwise I would be forever building
      till the end of my days trying to satisfy some deep down boat urge
      (s)......
      Thanks for posting those threeD images Bruce,they are bitter sweet
      torture trials!

      Sincerely,

      Peter Lenihan, who can easily see a Diamond,standing-by and ready
      for quick deployment,parked up on the roof of Windermere right
      beside Sweet Pea,Spur2,June Bug,Aury Punt,Field
      Mouse,Brick,Nymph....oh the madness :-)
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 75 of 75 , Apr 5, 2006
        I'm not sure the quoting is still accurate in this thread. In any
        case, I'm sure the Dynel is good if the issue is just abrasion.
        However, I think at the partners, and perhaps elsewhere, localized
        crushing is part of the picture. In that case I'm guessing fiberglass
        would remain superior. Not that you couldn't have a bit of dynel over it.

        > One layer of dynel is 6 times as abrasion resistance as 1 layer of 6oz
        > glass per some tests in Boatbuilder several years ago.
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > pvanderwaart wrote:
        > >> What about armoring the mast with fiberglass and epoxy at the
        > >>
        > > partners and other wear
        > >
        > >> points? Or wrapping it with some other thing to prevent wear?
        snip