Re: Trolling motor for Micro Take 3

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 1, 2005
      > Would
      > you care to comment on the stability of the open canoe type
      > Toto?

      Pardon me for joining the discussion in the middle.

      In boats small enough to carry, seaworthiness is based in the
      operator, not in the vessel. Even a sea kayak which is effectively
      immune from taking on water is dependent on the crew to keep the boat
      upright, or to recover from a roll. Training and judgement about when
      to stay ashore are more important the the differences from one boat
      to another.

      Stability depends very much on the crew. If he is sitting on the
      bottom of the boat, it is much more stable than if he is sitting up a
      few inches on some kind of seat. That said, I wonder if stability is
      the most important factor. In any kind sea, the boat can be endangered
      as much by spray and splash as by the threat of outright roll.

      Windsurfers go out in awful conditions, capize all the time, and most
      get back undrowned. You should emulate the factors that make it
      possible, which include 1) floatation for the boat so it can't swamp,
      2) a boat that can be re-entered after a capsize, 3) flotation for
      the crew (which saves a lot of energy even if the crew can swim), 4)
      attachment of the crew to the boat so they won't get separated, 5) wet
      or dry suit as appropriate to prevent hypothermia, 6) ability to
      control the rig so it doesn't prevent successful righting after a
      capsize. There may be other factors I have not mentioned.

      Peter
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 75 of 75 , Apr 5, 2006
        I'm not sure the quoting is still accurate in this thread. In any
        case, I'm sure the Dynel is good if the issue is just abrasion.
        However, I think at the partners, and perhaps elsewhere, localized
        crushing is part of the picture. In that case I'm guessing fiberglass
        would remain superior. Not that you couldn't have a bit of dynel over it.

        > One layer of dynel is 6 times as abrasion resistance as 1 layer of 6oz
        > glass per some tests in Boatbuilder several years ago.
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > pvanderwaart wrote:
        > >> What about armoring the mast with fiberglass and epoxy at the
        > >>
        > > partners and other wear
        > >
        > >> points? Or wrapping it with some other thing to prevent wear?
        snip