Toto Double Paddle Canoe (was: Trolling motor for Micro Take 3)

  • adventures_in_astrophotography
    Message 1 of 75 , Dec 1, 2005
      Wesley,

      > I'm a big fan of the work on your web site.

      Thanks very much!

      > I'm considering something
      > similar to a Toto, but am torn between my usual tiny boat desires,
      > weight vs. sea worthiness. I've never used a kayak and am hesitant
      > go that route. There's no questioning their sea worthiness, but I do
      > question the comfort level.

      ...snip...

      > Would
      > you care to comment on the stability of the open canoe type Toto?
      > Thanks.

      We've only had the Totos out a couple of times since I finished them
      this past summer. I'd say they have about 6 miles under them, all in
      relatively wake-free water and light winds. Because the water in the
      reservoir we boat at is always cold, I decked over the bow and stern
      sections to provide lots of positive bouyancy and hopefully allow a
      person to get back aboard after going over. I still have doubts about
      whether reentry of the boat from the water can actually be achieved,
      and the water is colder than I care to experiment in. If we take one
      up to McConaughy next summer, I'll try it there.

      Having said that, I haven't ever felt unstable in these canoes, and
      since your butt is right on the bottom, it's as stable as you can make
      it. The v-shaped entry certainly cuts through small waves and wakes
      with no fuss, and the truncated v-shaped midsection seems to take small
      waves from abeam pretty well. Nevertheless, we follow the shoreline
      fairly closely, and always wear PFDs - anyone using a boat like this
      should ALWAYS wear a PFD. Considering how cheap and fast these are to
      build, I wouldn't hestitate to try one out if I were you. They are fun
      and relaxing boats to use, and if it doesn't work out, your loss of
      time and money is minimal.

      Jon Kolb
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 75 of 75 , Apr 5, 2006
        I'm not sure the quoting is still accurate in this thread. In any
        case, I'm sure the Dynel is good if the issue is just abrasion.
        However, I think at the partners, and perhaps elsewhere, localized
        crushing is part of the picture. In that case I'm guessing fiberglass
        would remain superior. Not that you couldn't have a bit of dynel over it.

        > One layer of dynel is 6 times as abrasion resistance as 1 layer of 6oz
        > glass per some tests in Boatbuilder several years ago.
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > pvanderwaart wrote:
        > >> What about armoring the mast with fiberglass and epoxy at the
        > >>
        > > partners and other wear
        > >
        > >> points? Or wrapping it with some other thing to prevent wear?
        snip