Re: Borate as a rot rx--was green plywood

  • Nels
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 29, 2005
      --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "cosermann" <arielmiller@h...> wrote:

      > BTW - While we're speculating, I suspect it's not promoted as a wood
      > preservative because it's so cheap. There's more money to be made
      on
      > expensive wood preservatives.

      I used the end cut preservative shown here in the bottom left-hand
      corner: It cost less than CDN $10 and I am not sure antifreeze would
      be much cheaper nor have the penetrating ability either.

      http://www.recochem.com/english/products/wood_preservatives/

      Used it when building the new cradle from pressure treated wood and
      the copper treated plywood. I still plan to paint it with a solid
      stain.

      Nels
    • Lepage Roger
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 30, 2005
        My cotage is finished with vertical wood boards.
        As you know, with rain droping
        years after years on the gallery, balcony etc...
        the one feet and a haft down the wall got black
        with fungies either the wood was treated in that
        time with outdoor stain or not.
        Fortunatly after reading about éthylène glycol
        I gave it a try. With a garden sprayer and with 50% of
        water to dilute, I sprayed all the black stains It was
        around october and we never go there in winter.
        The year after I did not notice any chage as I came
        back there but I noticed that the spring rains washed
        away all the black (the fungies)and desapered rain
        after rains.
        I can assure you that right now my docks with that
        treatment after six ears always look as new.
        And I will never stain or paint it. Just the
        sheapest motor coolant with 50% of water.
        Take care of not breathing the mist.
        ROGER.