Trolling motor for Micro Take 3

  • Rod Reynolds
    Message 1 of 75 , Nov 29, 2005
      I did not know that my quest would start such a thread.

      I just got that 1000w Honda genset on ebay so I will be able to report something after it
      arrives.

      As to some questions posed.

      Original Micro. No bunks, just a sliding hatch, no tilting mast. It was made to 1991 era
      plans with no real mods since launching. No line hardware to speak of, just a lot of clove
      hitches and squareknots.

      In my line of work I deal with gel cell power wheelchair batteries so I have a set of used 22
      NF's that I will try out. The question at this point is use them singly or hooked up in
      parallel. Any thoughts?

      Dual use. Yes, I had a ShopSmith machine for a time. That's a 5 use woodworking
      machine. I am into multi-use things.

      I have been given a Minn Kota 36# thrust trolling motor to play with.

      Costs. As you can see from above, other than the cost of the genset my costs are minimal
      at this time. The genset can help out at home as was pointed out.

      I have not ruled out a 110 VAC powered device.

      Lastly, I am keeping my 2 hp 2 stroke till the dust settles.

      Oh, I like cold weather sailing so I hope to post some results sometime in Dec.

      Rod
    • Lincoln Ross
      Message 75 of 75 , Apr 5, 2006
        I'm not sure the quoting is still accurate in this thread. In any
        case, I'm sure the Dynel is good if the issue is just abrasion.
        However, I think at the partners, and perhaps elsewhere, localized
        crushing is part of the picture. In that case I'm guessing fiberglass
        would remain superior. Not that you couldn't have a bit of dynel over it.

        > One layer of dynel is 6 times as abrasion resistance as 1 layer of 6oz
        > glass per some tests in Boatbuilder several years ago.
        >
        > HJ
        >
        > pvanderwaart wrote:
        > >> What about armoring the mast with fiberglass and epoxy at the
        > >>
        > > partners and other wear
        > >
        > >> points? Or wrapping it with some other thing to prevent wear?
        snip