Re: [bolger] Re: How about this for a motor?

    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
      That is the two cylinder model, there is also a one cyliner version.
      The shipping works out to be $867 to my house! The motor is
      certainly big and heavy for a boat, but heavy (down low) is good.

      Web searching finds a couple other sources, including:

      http://oldstylelisters.com/

      I guess it would requires a belt drive to the driveshaft? With the
      motor mounted sideways?
    • russingram
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
        I've seen comment on some web pages that these motors are for
        stationary installation, only. Anyone know why, or why they couldn't
        be used in a boat?

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 5, 2005
          I think these motors are straight forward clones of old fashioned
          Lister's and they were used in boats. They are just cast iron. super
          strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are quite heavy.

          On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@...> wrote:
          > I've seen comment on some web pages that these motors are for
          > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why, or why they couldn't
          > be used in a boat?
        • russingram
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
            I think it be great to go chugging along with a motor like one of
            these...

            > I think these motors are straight forward clones of old fashioned
            > Lister's and they were used in boats. They are just cast iron. super
            > strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are quite heavy.
            >
            > On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@h...> wrote:
            > > I've seen comment on some web pages that these motors are for
            > > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why, or why they
            couldn't
            > > be used in a boat?

          • Philip Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
              More downsides are that they aren't very efficient and
              they are very dirty.

              You can get an air/oil cooled Deutz that runs cleaner,
              weighs half as much, probably get 50% or better better
              milage and has a worldwide parts network and parts
              that are readily available for about the same money if
              you buy a used one. Plus you don't have to put one or
              two of those pesky holes in the bottom of your boat to
              let in and let out water. The Deutz just might run as
              long as the Lister too.

              Phil Smith

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

              > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
              > respamming, or flogging dead horses
              > thanks, Fred' posts
              > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
              > and snip away
              > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
              > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
              > - Open discussion:
              > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ron Butterfield
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                At 11:00 AM 11/5/05, Bruce Hallman wrote:
                >I guess it would requires a belt drive to the driveshaft? With the
                >motor mounted sideways?

                There are some comments on the generator sites of mounting a drive lug to
                the center of one of the flywheels, and using a flexible spider type
                coupling. There are also comments that these inline couplings are _very_
                sensitive to mis-alignment.

                Regards,
                Ron Butterfield
              • ANDREW AIREY
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                  This sort of engine was used extensively to power UK
                  narrow canal boats.Very authentic but after a day
                  standing over them - the engine compartment is usually
                  under the steering position - and steering the boat
                  you get a very insidious form of fatigue.Not good
                  Cheers
                  Andy Airey
                  --- Philip Smith <pbs@...> wrote:

                  ---------------------------------

                  More downsides are that they aren't very efficient and
                  they are very dirty.

                  You can get an air/oil cooled Deutz that runs cleaner,
                  weighs half as much, probably get 50% or better better
                  milage and has a worldwide parts network and parts
                  that are readily available for about the same money if
                  you buy a used one. Plus you don't have to put one or
                  two of those pesky holes in the bottom of your boat to
                  let in and let out water. The Deutz just might run as
                  long as the Lister too.

                  Phil Smith

                  --- russingram <russingram@...> wrote:

                  > I think it be great to go chugging along with a
                  > motor like one of
                  > these...
                  >
                  > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman
                  > <bruce@h...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I think these motors are straight forward clones
                  > of old fashioned
                  > > Lister's and they were used in boats. They are
                  > just cast iron. super
                  > > strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are
                  > quite heavy.
                  > >
                  > > On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@h...> wrote:
                  > > > I've seen comment on some web pages that these
                  > motors are for
                  > > > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why,
                  > or why they
                  > couldn't
                  > > > be used in a boat?

                  > --------------------~-->
                  > Yahoo! your home page

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

                  > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
                  > respamming, or flogging dead horses
                  > thanks, Fred' posts
                  > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                  > and snip away
                  > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                  > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  > - Open discussion:
                  > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Bolger rules!!!
                  - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
                  or flogging dead horses
                  - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
                  thanks, Fred' posts
                  - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                  and snip away
                  - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                  Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                  - Open discussion:
                  bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                  Terms of Service.

                  ---------------------------------

                • G DAVID THOMSON
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                    We had a boat diesel engine company here in British Columbia during the early 1900's, called Easthope. Single large piston, heavy flywheel, large prop, very low RPM. ...they apparently were VERY popular with commercial fisherman. I read in the early 1980's that the grand kids of the original owner started the company up again, using old tooling, making the same engine. I don't know what is happening with this company/engine now, if anything. Does anybody else know anything about theis engine/company?

                    ANDREW AIREY <andyairey@...> wrote: This sort of engine was used extensively to power UK
                    --- Philip Smith <pbs@...> wrote:

                    ---------------------------------

                    More downsides are that they aren't very efficient and
                    they are very dirty.

                    You can get an air/oil cooled Deutz that runs cleaner,
                    weighs half as much, probably get 50% or better better
                    milage and has a worldwide parts network and parts
                    that are readily available for about the same money if
                    you buy a used one. Plus you don't have to put one or
                    two of those pesky holes in the bottom of your boat to
                    let in and let out water. The Deutz just might run as
                    long as the Lister too.

                    Phil Smith

                    --- russingram <russingram@...> wrote:

                    > I think it be great to go chugging along with a
                    > motor like one of
                    > these...
                    >
                    > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Hallman
                    > <bruce@h...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I think these motors are straight forward clones
                    > of old fashioned
                    > > Lister's and they were used in boats. They are
                    > just cast iron. super
                    > > strong and simple, the 'downside' is that they are
                    > quite heavy.
                    > >
                    > > On 11/5/05, russingram <russingram@h...> wrote:
                    > > > I've seen comment on some web pages that these
                    > motors are for
                    > > > stationary installation, only. Anyone know why,
                    > or why they
                    > couldn't
                    > > > be used in a boat?

                    > --------------------~-->
                    > Yahoo! your home page

                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM

                    > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming,
                    > respamming, or flogging dead horses
                    > thanks, Fred' posts
                    > - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                    > and snip away
                    > - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                    > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                    > - Open discussion:
                    > bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Bolger rules!!!
                    - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, respamming,
                    or flogging dead horses
                    - stay on topic, stay on thread, punctuate, no 'Ed,
                    thanks, Fred' posts
                    - Pls add your comments at the TOP, SIGN your posts,
                    and snip away
                    - Plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
                    Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349
                    - Open discussion:
                    bolger_coffee_lounge-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                    Bolger rules!!!

                    Alaska outdoors Boating magazine Boating safety

                  • G DAVID THOMSON
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2005
                      I don't know if these India made Listeroids are fuel efficient or not. For countless generations here in British Columbia the British made Lister was always considered the best engine to power a generator in the bush. Are they dirty?? Probably not after you break them in and work on oil leaks. After reading all of The Lister Generator Project on Rocketboy ( http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/lister.html ), I wouldn't hesitate to try one, but I certainly would run it onshore for awhile to get all of the bug/leaks out. Right off I would install superior gaskets, fuel lines, and whatever else is mentioned at the above site (The Lister Generator Project). Make sense?? A fuel efficiency study needs to be done. ...comparisons to Perkins, Yanmar, Deutz, etc, etc. The Listeroid looks good to me, considering the cost.

                      Bolger rules!!!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 7, 2005
                        > I don't know if these India made Listeroids are fuel efficient or not.

                        If I recall correctly, one guy wrote that the 5KW generator he
                        built ran for three hours on one gallon of diesel fuel.
                      • russingram
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 7, 2005
                          That sounds right from what I've read, too. So if you could drive a
                          boat at a hull speed of 5 kts with one of these, fuel efficiency would
                          be pretty good.